Quote Originally Posted by XenobladerX View Post
    Miles Morales: Spider-Man #20 preview
    https://monkeysfightingrobots.co/mar...spider-man-20/
    Seems like its going to be a fun issue.

Spectacular Member Trapgodthanos's Avatar

Seems like a nice cool down/slash out of costume issue that I've been wanting. I wonder if the teaser of Zip Zephyr that was posted here is for this issue, regardless looks fun

Shift just seems...really out of place here. Like, it's great that the family are so accepting of him but he's a goopy Hulk version of Miles that looks exactly like him both in-and-out of costume. Feels like a weird fit.

This reminds me of the Ahmed issue where Miles had to babysit.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Shift just seems...really out of place here. Like, it's great that the family are so accepting of him but he's a goopy Hulk version of Miles that looks exactly like him both in-and-out of costume. Feels like a weird fit.

Maybe he'll dye his hair like Ben Reilly did so people wouldn't confuse him with Peter as much, or at least do a different hairstyle.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It does feel like a bit much, but honestly the entire relationship with Shift has always felt rushed to me. Everyone just instantaneously accepts and understands him completely. Despite the fact that he's the product of Miles being tortured and experimented on and up until two issues ago he couldn't even form words.

And it's not surprising that it reminds you of the Ahmed issue, you can't really do anything else with her besides "Miles has to babysit, but superhero shenanigans happen" stories.

Also does it bother anyone else that despite knowing Miles is a superhero, they still stick him with babysitting duty? It's obviously always just going to be a light hearted story, but it feels like someone asking an on duty firefighter to babysit. There's not always going to be a fire; but when there is either a fire has to be ignored, a baby has to be left alone, or a baby gets brought into a burning building.

This also honestly reminds me how little family drama or stories there's been (other than the occasional "what is Aaron doing!?" story).

Not that I want conflict for the sake of conflict but just seems like the family only exists to be fully supportive of Miles or occasionally get endangered. Jefferson is a jobless stay-at-home dad.

All-New Member

This also honestly reminds me how little family drama or stories there's been (other than the occasional "what is Aaron doing!?" story).

Not that I want conflict for the sake of conflict but just seems like the family only exists to be fully supportive of Miles or occasionally get endangered. Jefferson is a jobless stay-at-home dad.
    Jobless stay at home dad with Rio as a wife? Dude is living the dream

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    That's a great idea, and I wouldn't be opposed to it either. Plus it'd be in line with the overarching plotline of Miles picking up different skills. It's really just a matter of who'd the teacher be. We could potentially even start considering Blackheart as a rogue if we went that route.
    Blackheart was Miles's first Earth-616 villain wasn't he? Or at least very early on.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member FlyingShadow's Avatar

I donĀ’t know if anyone else has noticed this in the preview, but when miles was chillen with his family his thoughts come out in the form of a journal versus when he Spider-Man.

But when he’s spider-man his thoughts become the usual comic book color.

I donĀ’t know if that was done intentional but it was a cool little detail that I noticed.
    Last edited by FlyingShadow; 05-10-2024 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Blackheart was Miles's first Earth-616 villain wasn't he? Or at least very early on.
    He indeed was.

The thing is I'd expect there to be less drama since Miles is honest about what he's doing. This makes for an atypical family dynamic and means you can't, or at least shouldn't imo, do typical familial drama. You can't do something like Jeff and Rio getting mad at Miles for coming home late or missing some family obligation, at least not without them coming off as selfish, because they know he was most likely out saving people's lives. You could however do something like show the kind of emotional toll it takes on a parent constantly seeing their child get beaten half to death, and not being able to do anything about it. Which to be fair we got a little of from Jeff when Miles was taking on Carnage.

Also I don't know why, but you calling Jeff a jobless stay-at-home dad was really funny to me. Though now that you mention it, I didn't notice that they've just decided to have him be a stay-at-home dad and not give him a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's right, and as seen in Champions, he's still mad at Miles for that fight so there's plenty of resentment to be found there.
    Last edited by Dragonick; 05-10-2024 at 07:36 AM.

About Shift's appearance, he's a shapeshifter, it shouldn't be impossible to learn to completely change his appearance so that he doesn't look exactly like Miles.

About Shift's appearance, he's a shapeshifter, it shouldn't be impossible to learn to completely change his appearance so that he doesn't look exactly like Miles.
    Yeah, I feel like the character kind of needs a visual overhaul, though I feel like he's inevitably going to go off and do his own thing at some point.

Yeah, I feel like the character kind of needs a visual overhaul, though I feel like he's inevitably going to go off and do his own thing at some point.
    I honestly think he should’ve stayed in that alternate universe with older Billie.

And correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t he get a girlfriend in that universe??
    Last edited by FlyingShadow; 05-11-2024 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingShadow View Post
    I honestly think he should’ve stayed in that alternate universe with older Billie.

And correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t he get a girlfriend in that universe??
    It felt like that's what was supposed to happen. That universe's Billie had no remaining family members and like you said Shift had gotten close to a girl from there. It was basically setup for Shift to be able to start a new life there and then it just didn't happen.