Page 395 of 468 FirstFirst ... 295345385391392393394395396397398399405445 ... LastLast
Results 5,911 to 5,925 of 7015
    Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Barron Trump won’t serve as RNC delegate due to ‘prior commitments’

So what kind of 'Prior Commitments' does an 18 y.o. have I wonder?
    Maybe he already promised RFK jr to be a delegate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Wait, is someone defending a 'registry for pregnant people' thing? Weird. That seems like the kind of thing that one would argue about being a probable slippery slope if they cared about being intellectually consistent.
    I was about to ask how Mets would feel about a federal database were people can voluntarily (for now) register their guns.

I was worried that he's keeping himself shielded in some kind of Federalist bubble, but I am happy to report that Clarence Thomas has been following what people say about him on Twitter.

“My wife and I, the last two or three years, it’s been – just the nastiness and the lies – it’s just incredible,” Thomas said.
    Justice Clarence Thomas decries Washington as ‘hideous’ and pushes back on ‘nastiness’ of critics

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I was about to ask how Mets would feel about a federal database were people can voluntarily (for now) register their guns.
    He'd scream bloody murder so damn loud, he'd be heard on the International Space Station.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Well if you really want to know….”You only need to ask him in a non loaded way”. (NB “non loaded” is a T Mets trademark, registered 2023, I will be sending dollar via carrier pigeon. Scratching my head to think of stuff I could count as own trademark. Most likely “baffled”.)
    Last edited by JackDaw; 05-11-2024 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post

We don’t actually DO anything, except maybe pay plenary indulgences - sorry, ‘carbon offsets’ - that let us be as wasteful as ever, but feel better about ourselves. I guess that sort of counts? But we haven’t really taken any substantive action. Because one political party keeps getting in the way of ANY action on the matter, because ‘God will take care of it’, or because ‘it might negatively impact corporate profits’…I mean ‘the economy’.

When WW2 hit, our auto factories converted to making airplanes and tanks in a matter of weeks. Now, we give them YEARS to clean up emissions or switch away from fossil fuels, and they still can barely be bothered. Why change their waste management and emissions policies when they can just buy enough politicians to make sure those regulations go away before they have to lose out on buying a fifth house, or an invite to the Hunger Games (sorry, the Met Gala), or a solid gold elephant foot umbrella stand, or a golf course or three, or a federal judge?

Clearly, adapting our consumption to limit our impact on the environment is too inconvenient for rich people’s profit margins.

Recently I have been told the story of the drought in Cape Town and how catastrophy has been averted. At the height of the crisis, the mayor had announced to the public that if Day Zero arrived (no water anymore from the tap), the army would distribute water to the inhabitants.

It has been a wake-up call. People changed drastically their habits. The consumption has been halved and the worst has been avoided.

Such moment will never arrive to the climate change crisis. Soon Trump will die (as it will be the case for us) and the next generations will live (or won’t) with the consequences of our actions

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    I think climate change doesn’t get much talk because people either don’t take it seriously, or have given up on trying to get anyone to take it seriously (whether out of frustration or nihilism or both). I mean, we’ve been talking about this subject for literal decades, now, but that’s all we really do: Talk about it.
    It is not all or nothing, though… The goal is mitigating the disaster and leaving a planet where people can live not recovering the same planet as before which is already too late…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    We elected Trump (not me personally, but still).

'Nuff said.
    Please comments 5843 and 5845

The last paragraph of 5845 is what I was trying to explain to Zinderel: Intelligence, including 'intelligence in voting' (whatever that could mean...), isn't determined by race. Stereotyping any group based on race is unfair and inaccurate. People of all races have a wide range of intelligence, abilities and experiences. Inclusion means avoiding making assumptions or generalizations about individuals based on their race.
    Last edited by hyped78; 05-11-2024 at 03:02 AM.

I was worried that he's keeping himself shielded in some kind of Federalist bubble, but I am happy to report that Clarence Thomas has been following what people say about him on Twitter.

Justice Clarence Thomas decries Washington as ‘hideous’ and pushes back on ‘nastiness’ of critics
    Great opportunity for him to do everyone a favor and resign!

SCOTUS Judges need to be held to a very high bar, he doesn’t meet it
    Last edited by hyped78; 05-11-2024 at 03:05 AM.

Imagine how the gun lovers would react to that. Imagine Fox News talking about it... I know it won't happen, but the mere possibility is salivating

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Imagine how the gun lovers would react to that. Imagine Fox News talking about it... I know it won't happen, but the mere possibility is salivating
    The original Red Dawn explicitly references the idea of a gun registry with the Soviets taking advantage of it to arrest people and confiscate the weapons. We don't have to imagine very hard about what the conservative media establishment will do, as it's already done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    The original Red Dawn explicitly references the idea of a gun registry with the Soviets taking advantage of it to arrest people and confiscate the weapons. We don't have to imagine very hard about what the conservative media establishment will do, as it's already done it.
    Haven't watched, neither the original nor the remake. Is one of them worth watching?

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Haven't watched, neither the original nor the remake. Is one of them worth watching?
    If you're going to watch one, watch the original. It's not a good movie. In fact, I'd say it's pretty terrible, but a lot of things reference it and you'll get an idea of the paranoid stylings of late 1970s, early 1980s conservative-oriented action-entertainment. You'll also learn the source of some popular culture references that have lingered since it, etc.

Milius set about rewriting the script. He and Haig devised a backstory in which the circumstances of the invasion would occur; this was reportedly based on Hitler's proposed plans to invade the U.S. during World War II.[10] Haig took Milius under his wing, bringing him to the Hudson Institute, the conservative think tank founded by Herman Kahn, to develop a plausible scenario. Milius saw the story as a Third World liberation struggle in reverse; Haig introduced Nicaragua and suggested that, with the collapse of NATO, a left-wing Mexican government would participate in the Soviet invasion, effectively splitting the U.S. in half.[11] Bart says, "Even Milius was taken aback by Haig's approach to the project. 'This is going to end up as a jingoistic, flag-waving movie,' Milius fretted. As a result, the budget of this once $6 million movie almost tripled."[6]
    Last edited by Tendrin; 05-11-2024 at 03:41 AM.

How very tragic that his fragile fee-fees are hurt by criticism from meanies directly harmed by his vindictive, hateful rulings.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Hey, Tami! Clear your calendar! Don Snoreleone will be in Jersey tonight:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/deci...ersey/3853275/

MAGA Maggots have been camping out to see their fearless leader for the last couple of days, including yesterday when it was rainy with temps barely over 50. That’s either dedication, or stupidity. My vote’s for the latter.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Sounds like the epitaph of humanity, dear Dalak… Even here it’s barely a subject…