Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default X-Men Unlimited #139 - Fall of X #19 - Review/Spoilers

Wow, things are really heating up!

We open with Selene looking beautiful and scary, blood running down her arms and across the edges of her face. She's walking through the pool of blood in her chamber. She's talking to and taunting Tempo who is still strapped/trapped to a large piece of bone. We learn that the External ascension should take centuries but Tempo's powers have accelerated the process within a handful of days. It's hard to say exactly what happens to Selene next but the top of the tower of her palace explodes in what's like a bomb of blood. Gross. Selene reminds us that to be a true High Lord is to not just be immortal but untouchable, invulnerable. To be beyond the very limits of flesh itself.

Still prisoner in a cell, Cerebra can see and hear the violent movement of blood through a grate on the ceiling. She asks what they are looking at and Dani, on the outside of the cell also looking up at the grate, says, "Nothing good, Shakti..."

Nice! Magma, looking stunning, burns through the walls to create an opening and free the prisoners. She also frees them of their bone shackles but Dani says that if the shackles were somehow enchanted to repress powers then breaking them won't be enough. The magic will linger and people will need a jump-start. Dani comes up with the idea of Cerebra getting a power boost from Khora which would allow her to network with every X-gene in the area and "distribute the juice." Cerebra and Khora hold hands and we get a cool panel of the boosting. Immediately Tulkas' powers return as well as everyone else's. Cerebra says active X-genes or not though, Nova Roma is still crawling with undead guards. Dani says not to worry too much about Selene's foot soldiers because they've got plenty of their own.

We now see a small army of the zombie Orchis soldiers and one of them is telling an intruder to freeze. It's a single Madrox until...

"... you should really start using the plural!" as the dupes start attacking the soldiers.

We then get a small panel of El Aguila in his cell, smirking. He notes that the spell of the shackles has been broken. "This, my friends... is our moment. Shall we seize it?"

Betsy, 'Star, Rictor, Warpath, and Thunderbird are racing towards the palace center but suddenly stop as Warpath points up. He says, "I know Dani and Roberto plan for everything but who could possibly plan for that?"

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Holy moly. Gigantic bloody Selene is terrifying.

I don't want this to end! I feel like Steve Fox is a huge Betsy fan.

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

I really wish all these stuff were printed at some point or at the very least collected in whatever TPB marvel might release in the future

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

It was cool to have another El Aguila cameo. Hope this means we will see more of him.

It was kind of hinted we would see Magma in this, bit I was very happy to see her in action. Also nice to see Khora and Velocidad.

Poor Tempo, she seems to be in a hanger/necklace now. Does that mean she's dead? Anyone knows, has Selene captured someone in a necklace hanger before?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Knightpryde View Post
    I don't want this to end! I feel like Steve Fox is a huge Betsy fan.
    Yeah he's mentioned that she is one of his favorites. I don't want this story to end either. This was a great issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    It was cool to have another El Aguila cameo. Hope this means we will see more of him.

It was kind of hinted we would see Magma in this, bit I was very happy to see her in action. Also nice to see Khora and Velocidad.

Poor Tempo, she seems to be in a hanger/necklace now. Does that mean she's dead? Anyone knows, has Selene captured someone in a necklace hanger before?
    Yes!

I wonder if this is the first time Mr. Handsome (El Aguila) has been repowered?!? I believe he turned to using an electric sword after decimation. Khora and Cerebra could repower all the remaining decimated now.

Great to see Magma finally! She should have been utilized along with Rust to help take down the machines. Tulkas is interesting too.

Poor Tempo. I hope she turns Selene into an old crone after this.
    Last edited by danielsan52; 05-13-2024 at 03:49 AM.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post

I think Tempo is definitely still alive. It looks like she’s pounding against the necklace and it’d be a bit macabre to have her chilling in there as a corpse. I’m wondering if they brought along Velocidad to do some kind of timey-wimey circuit w/ Tempo to reverse the ascension.

I hope that Foxe keeps working in X-books after Heir of Apocalypse, because he does a great job with characterization and uses characters already established instead of overflowing the franchise with new ones (only new character he created was a mutant kid for Jubille's story pre hellfire gala that had a minor role). We need writers like him that can see the potential of already existing characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    I hope that Foxe keeps working in X-books after Heir of Apocalypse, because he does a great job with characterization and uses characters already established instead of overflowing the franchise with new ones (only new character he created was a mutant kid for Jubille's story pre hellfire gala that had a minor role). We need writers like him that can see the potential of already existing characters.
    So do I. It's about time someone started using the existing characters and giving them a voice.

His work is great on Spider-Woman and if he were to get another X-book it would be great to have the two books cross over.
    Last edited by danielsan52; 05-13-2024 at 04:17 AM.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Spectacular Member mattsarchamp's Avatar

If there will be another team book for the coming era, I'd want Steve Foxe to write the Excalibur book. Then let him use some of the characters here as I'm very much impressed in his storytelling.
    Peerless and Fearless

Nice to finally see that Velocidad was indeed brought back. ( Unless I missed a prior appearance of his throughout the Krakoa Era )

Quote Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
    Nice to finally see that Velocidad was indeed brought back. ( Unless I missed a prior appearance of his throughout the Krakoa Era )
    This was the first time we see him since he died in Rosenberg's run.

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

Not gonna lie; This is the first time I've heard ever heard of Velocidad. I was thinking, "Cool! A guy who can turn himself into a velociraptor or has a couple of lab grown ones under his control or-..."

Turns out it's Spanish for speed. Oops.
    Last edited by Solitaryhawk; 05-13-2024 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Corrected a word

My Magma earth bender finally showed up <3 <3 <3