Page 442 of 444 FirstFirst ... 342392432438439440441442443444 LastLast
Results 6,616 to 6,630 of 6650

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Well, it's probably less that and more like "a gorgeous Hollywood star did what?!?" I mean, if it had been her contemporary and even bigger star Robert Taylor instead of Heddy who had been the inventor of Wi-Fi, would the reaction be any different? Maybe, but maybe not.
    Inventors rarely invent alone anything… There’s a chain of findings and discoveries from a inventor to another and sometimes someone receives all the fame… (and it’s rarely a woman)

And by saying that, I don’t mean to disregard Mrs Lamarr’s contribution. It has probably been a decisive one.

What it is infuriating, it’s by knowing someone’s profession, people think they know everything they need to know about this person… Heddy Lamarr was an actress, just not only that…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Inventors rarely invent alone anything… There’s a chain of findings and discoveries from a inventor to another and sometimes someone receives all the fame… (and it’s rarely a woman)

And by saying that, I don’t mean to disregard Mrs Lamarr’s contribution. It has probably been a decisive one.

What it is infuriating, it’s by knowing someone’s profession, people think they know everything they need to know about this person… Heddy Lamarr was an actress, just not only that…
    Oh, definitely. Had the higher-ups taken her seriously, WWII might have ended that much quickly. Instead, it took twenty years before her contributions were looked at the right way. Of course, the military has a habit of doing this regardless of gender.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Well, it's probably less that and more like "a gorgeous Hollywood star did what?!?" I mean, if it had been her contemporary and even bigger star Robert Taylor instead of Heddy who had been the inventor of Wi-Fi, would the reaction be any different? Maybe, but maybe not.
    Actually, that sort of applies here as well. Hedy Lamarr had a co-inventor who shared that patent, and he was equally unlikely. Her co-inventor was an avant-garde musician and film composer, George Antheil. The two became friends in Hollywood, and the actress and composer together designed the frequency-hopping communication system that was intended to disable the Germans' radio disruption of the US Navy's torpedo guidance systems. If you are looking for a place to visit in the Washington DC area that's not on most tourist destinations, you might want to check out the US Patent and Trademark Office in Alexandria, VA, which has a nice museum (free!) dedicated to invention. Part of that museum is the National Inventors Hall of Fame, which annually inducts a crop of inventors whom it considers important. Here are the Hall of Fame entries for Hedy Lamarr and George Antheil. The museum's gift shop sells books describing notable inventors and inventions, and one of them is about the history of the Lamarr-Antheil patent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    You're supposed to turn your phone off in a movie theater. Theaters where I've been even have an announcement mixed in with the previews to shut it off.
    And even if you have a very good reason to not turn it off, there is still a vibration ringtone.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    And even if you have a very good reason to not turn it off, there is still a vibration ringtone.
    I always turn my phone off. I'm not so important that the world can't turn without me for a couple of hours.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I always turn my phone off. I'm not so important that the world can't turn without me for a couple of hours.
    I'm not either, but there are people out there who need to be available for contact or very bad things can happen - doctors outside of large urban centers who might need to be available because after the first name on the call list they are the only ones, or places that depend on volunteers for firefighters as a couple of examples. I don't mind them keeping those phones on, even though I greatly prefer they use silent mode.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Actually, that sort of applies here as well. Hedy Lamarr had a co-inventor who shared that patent, and he was equally unlikely. Her co-inventor was an avant-garde musician and film composer, George Antheil. The two became friends in Hollywood, and the actress and composer together designed the frequency-hopping communication system that was intended to disable the Germans' radio disruption of the US Navy's torpedo guidance systems. If you are looking for a place to visit in the Washington DC area that's not on most tourist destinations, you might want to check out the US Patent and Trademark Office in Alexandria, VA, which has a nice museum (free!) dedicated to invention. Part of that museum is the National Inventors Hall of Fame, which annually inducts a crop of inventors whom it considers important. Here are the Hall of Fame entries for Hedy Lamarr and George Antheil. The museum's gift shop sells books describing notable inventors and inventions, and one of them is about the history of the Lamarr-Antheil patent.
    Another interesting name on the "I didn't know that person did that" list is Paul Winchell. Best known for voicing Gargamel on The Smurfs and Tigger in Winnie the Pooh, Winchell has a partial credit on an artificial heart design.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Another interesting name on the "I didn't know that person did that" list is Paul Winchell. Best known for voicing Gargamel on The Smurfs and Tigger in Winnie the Pooh, Winchell has a partial credit on an artificial heart design.
    While I'm amazed at this I can't help but ask: Was his version powered by precious tasty Smurfs?

I recall reading about that as a young kid during the late '70s. As someone who remembers seeing Winchell as a ventriloquist from old shows and movies back then (not toi mention Dik Dastardly as a preschooler during the late '60s), to say that was weird is an understatement.

I recall reading about that as a young kid during the late '70s. As someone who remembers seeing Winchell as a ventriloquist from old shows and movies back then (not toi mention Dik Dastardly as a preschooler during the late '60s), to say that was weird is an understatement.

Invincible Member

The new Covid variant is called "FLiRT"! What happened to our cool covid names like "OmniCron-Alpha" and "Delta-Legacy"?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The new Covid variant is called "FLiRT"! What happened to our cool covid names like "OmniCron-Alpha" and "Delta-Legacy"?
    As long as we don't get one code named "Omega-Death Star".
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    You're supposed to turn your phone off in a movie theater. Theaters where I've been even have an announcement mixed in with the previews to shut it off.
    Not surprised about that because a person could answer it while on vibrate while nothing can interrupt if it's turned off.
    https://noequipmentfitness.com/
    No Equipment Fitness is my Online Fitness website where you can purchase short no equipment workouts.

I'm not either, but there are people out there who need to be available for contact or very bad things can happen - doctors outside of large urban centers who might need to be available because after the first name on the call list they are the only ones, or places that depend on volunteers for firefighters as a couple of examples. I don't mind them keeping those phones on, even though I greatly prefer they use silent mode.
    This is why vibration mode was created so that one can conveniently answer the call by moving outside the theater after he or she feels a repeat vibration.

A person regarded me as weird or strange because I decided to wipe down a machine at the gym after using it which is just normal gym etiquette. No getting around it that it's rude and bad gym etiquette if a person refuses to wipe the machine down after using it regardless if they sweat or not.
    So being regarded by a person as weird or strange for that normal aspect of gym etiquette is very stupid and inane.

If a person doesn't want to wipe down the machine or machines then get your own damn gym machines where it's only being used by 1 person which is entirely different than being in a Public gym, using a machine then refusing to wipe it down which is normal gym etiquette.
    No Equipment Fitness is my Online Fitness website where you can purchase short no equipment workouts.

It is great that Dominos decided to improve items after reading blunt except truthful criticisms about the food items they sell.
    Dominos is in the Fast Food Pizza Chain business so I'm pretty damn happy that they took a long time to perfect their pan pizza which I've had, and I can say it's an impressive delicious thick pizza which isn't surprising because it is made with fresh dough and other fresh ingredients.

So possibly Dominos was inspired by Giordano's, Lou Malnati's, UNO, and other famous Deep Dish pizzerias for making delicious thick pizza.