Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    As far as I remember she gave up way before that. But I have to look that up again.
    I know spouses that give up on their Navy sailor when they are deployed for 90 days, even with full access to the internet to maintain communication.

MJ did much better than that (of course, it helps to be a fictional character).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Usually when we have stories of someone separated from their partner, like when we had stories of Superman and Wonder Woman trapped in a magical realm for 1000 years, Clark doesn't get with Diana because his memory of Lois is so strong that he could never. He believes Lois is dead, but he still can't bring himself to be with someone else. That is how strong and pure his love is. That is the way these stories usually go.

And if we got that story from the other side, if Peter had been separated from MJ for four years and the only other person was another woman, he would have waited for MJ.

It may not be the intention, but the story is saying "women don't love their partners as much as men do."
    Yes, and that is a sad. Is it coming from what writers think about woman these days? Is it like that in real life, or just an imagination of some men? A phylosophical question.

How was it again in the Snyders Batman run with Bruce and Diana? Didnt Bruce stop himself from making love or falling in love With Diana, too when they were in that other dimension?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    I know spouses that give up on their Navy sailor when they are deployed for 90 days, even with full access to the internet to maintain communication.

Woman tend to look out for someone who can protect, not someone who loves. If the man is not available anymore, he cannot provide or protect.

I won't say that about every woman, just the weak ones.

Yes, and that is a sad. Is it coming from what writers think about woman these days? Is it like that in real life, or just an imagination of some men? A phylosophical question.

How was it again in the Snyders Batman run with Bruce and Diana? Didnt Bruce stop himself from making love or falling in love With Diana, too when they were in that other dimension?
    That was King's Batman, and yes, it was the exact same idea with Bruce and Diana trapped in a magical realm for a magical length of time, but Bruce resisted because he was with Selina at the time and his love for her was too strong.

(If I had a nickel for every time Wonder Woman was trapped in a magical realm where years and years pass by while almost no time passes on Earth with her closest male colleagues, I would have two nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.)

Astonishing Member

That was King's Batman, and yes, it was the exact same idea with Bruce and Diana trapped in a magical realm for a magical length of time, but Bruce resisted because he was with Selina at the time and his love for her was too strong.

(If I had a nickel for every time Wonder Woman was trapped in a magical realm where years and years pass by while almost no time passes on Earth with her closest male colleagues, I would have two nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.)
    King was it, yes. So, we know how the majority of writers think about woman, eh?

Would have been nice to read about a story from a female writer with the same setting.

Astonishing Member

Woman tend to look out for someone who can protect, not someone who loves. If the man is not available anymore, he cannot provide or protect.

I won't say that about every woman, just the weak ones.

No one gender has the monopoly on being "weak" or "needing protection" or cheating on their spouse/lover. I also find the characterization of what women look for in a partner to not be accurate.

Not to mention this is very much not on topic...

King was it, yes. So, we know how the majority of writers think about woman, eh?

Would have been nice to read about a story from a female writer with the same setting.
    It shouldn't require being a certain gender to recognize Dead Language leans on sexist and misogynist tropes that were outdated and righfully caused outrage when Avengers #200 and Green Lantern Volume 3 #48 were published decades ago.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 05-13-2024 at 01:31 PM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Can we please STOP with this line of thinking?!

No one gender has the monopoly on being "weak" or "needing protection" or cheating on their spouse/lover. I also find the characterization of what women look for in a partner to be incredibly suspect and not veracious.

I was gonna say, how the hell did we get here?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    No one gender has the monopoly on being "weak" or "needing protection" or cheating on their spouse/lover. I also find the characterization of what women look for in a partner to not be accurate.

It shouldn't require being a certain gender to recognize Dead Language leans on sexist and misogynist tropes that were outdated and righfully caused outrage when Avengers #200 and Green Lantern Volume 3 #48 were published decades ago.
    My point still stands. Only the weak ones are looking for a protector/provider. You can turn it around and say that weak men are looking for woman who behave like their mothers with all the nurturing and care.

But, yes its not on topic. Lets return to the sales...

Astonishing Member

My point still stands. Only the weak ones are looking for a protector/provider. You can turn it around and say that weak men are looking for woman who behave like their mothers with all the nurturing and care.

But, yes its not on topic. Lets return to the sales...
    You are describing toxic masculinity. But agree with getting back on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    I was gonna say, how the hell did we get here?
    Not to mention, this is a story with established characters so even if reality matched what was being asserted - and it very much doesn't - we should be discussing what is in character for MARY JANE. And Dead Language makes her controlled by "chains" - highly problematic - but even before that, MJ doesn't question what is going on and/or demand Paul make her another device like the one Peter used, which makes her high on stupid pills and carrying the idiot ball to an nth degree, even more than Superior which was the last nadir.

Now back to sales:

Was it mentioned in this thread that USM #1 is getting a 6th printing? If not, well, it is! I know Ms. Marvel #1 got a sixth printing but that was in 2014. Any more recent examples of a comic going to SIX printings?
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 05-13-2024 at 06:41 PM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

USM issue #3 got a third printing recently.

BANNED

That's a lot of printing.

I still maintain that using the Spider-Verse to explore a world where MJ got bit and itÂ’s about her, and her civilian boyfriend Peter, has loads of potential.

ThatÂ’s what the Multiverse is supposed to be used for. Exploring who these characters are in different situations.
    See, Marvel had this dynamic to a great degree with Janet van Dyne and Hank Pym. But instead of making Hank a supportive wife guy, they made him a wife beater. That itself should have been a sign of how then boys club Marvel would go on to treat MJ during the marriage years.

Regarding a Superhero MJ title, I do agree that the best bet would be a Spider-Verse concept. But not one tied to any 1 super-powered or non-powered MJ. It needs to be an ensemble because it's equally fun and revelatory to see the same character bounce off other iterations of themselves. Lives made possible if different choices had been made or circumstances had been different.

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once won the Best Picture Oscar for running with this very concept.

I disagree with the current direction the writers have taken with the characters. I miss these characters, and I hope Marvel does better by them in the future.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    See, Marvel had this dynamic to a great degree with Janet van Dyne and Hank Pym. But instead of making Hank a supportive wife guy, they made him a wife beater. That itself should have been a sign of how then boys club Marvel would go on to treat MJ during the marriage years.
    Wasn't Hank hitting Janet the result of a miscommunication between the writer and artist?