Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Im fine with all of this and I’m a beacon of self confidence.
    But then again, I’m a happily 40something year old man.
    Yeah but we never discuss really the fact older male fans often gatekeep comics and prefer female characters because it's less intimidating than trying to relate to younger male characters who many older fans seem more judgemental on. We often talk about these issues in terms of race ot gender but we rarely talk about the agist approach of using older legacy character who is meant to sacrifice or retire to put over a new alternative. The previous poster indicated the issue is about "a few female characters" when that's not the issue. It's the tropes and trends used in stories meant to squash male characters future potential.

I know many older fans consider Logan to be their favorite movie because of its Gran Torino type sacrifice story. Maybe cause I'm not at that age where I need to face my mortality yet but I just find those kind of stories insulting. It doesn't even have to be Death it can retirement or becoming a mentor. And unfortunately it's the only kind of story older male fans are willing to support for male characters
    Last edited by Gripstir; 05-14-2024 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Heck no. After all the shit the fanbase had thrown at Wanda, she deserves better than going back to the X-men franchise. She is way better without that toxicity.
    Nah keep her she will always be the pretender

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Which is funny because it's clear they are pivoting back to positioning Storm as their Wonder Woman after years of pushing Carol into that spot, only for floppage
    Storm is a better character than Captain Marvel to be fair

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Kinda odd how people talk about Cyclops when the topic is about Storm joining the Avengers.
    Is there some jealousy or what?
    I think it's longing. They don't want what storm is getting they want rightlclops and since storm is getting this push they want to hook up with that same energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Kinda odd how people talk about Cyclops when the topic is about Storm joining the Avengers.
    Is there some jealousy or what?
    It doesn't even make sense. Storm was shunted off in her own corner during Krakoa with Arrako and Cyke didn't magically take center stage cause she was out of the way. Wanting her to be gone so he can take prominence is silly as hell. One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    Storm has always been Marvel's Wonder Woman
    True, but Marvel really pushed Carol hard from 2005-2020ish. They kept trying solo title after solo title with nothing catching the overall fanbase's attention. It's refreshing to see them recognizing just how important Storm is as Marvel's leading lady.

Cyclops was at his best when both Jean, Xavier and storm weren’t around. So it looks promising right know.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    Yeah but we never discuss really the fact older male fans often gatekeep comics and prefer female characters because it's less intimidating than trying to relate to younger male characters who many older fans seem more judgemental on. We often talk about these issues in terms of race ot gender but we rarely talk about the agist approach of using older legacy character who is meant to sacrifice or retire to put over a new alternative. The previous poster indicated the issue is about "a few female characters" when that's not the issue. It's the tropes and trends used in stories meant to squash male characters future potential.

I know mistakes older fans consider Logan to be their favorite movie because of its Gran Torino type sacrifice story. Maybe cause I'm not at that age where I need to face my mortality yet but I just find those kind of stories insulting. It doesn't even have to be Death it can retirement or becoming a mentor. And unfortunately it's the only kind of story older male fans are willing to support for male characters
    Just a suggestion, make a thread about that. Storm joining the Avengers has nothing to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    True, but Marvel really pushed Carol hard from 2005-2020ish. They kept trying solo title after solo title with nothing catching the overall fanbase's attention. It's refreshing to see them recognizing just how important Storm is as Marvel's leading lady.
    This!

It was always a stupid move to push Storm aside for Carol. Nothing wrong with Carol before the push but they were literally starting from the ground level with that character and thought they would force the fanbase into falling in love with her. When they had a couple of SOILD Female leads already they could have worked with and moved around that would have had traction. They would have already had their “Staring Female” lead by now in the mind of comic fans and normies if they would have just went with her from the beginning.

I know…I know.. the whole mutant ban bs comes into play but real creatives would have figured it out.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 05-14-2024 at 03:05 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    If Wanda and Vizh can be on a team together without drama then so can T'Challa and Storm. I don't McKay will be concerned about re-igniting any romances.
    It would be nice to see them written civily towards each other compared to the last few years.

(I'm still waiting for Wanda and Vision to hook up again...)
    Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Oof. The anti-X shade in the announcement ... she's too big to be on an X-team, so we "upgraded" her to the Alex role in Avengers.
    Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    I hate thwm saying she needs to be among equals. The X-men are her equals and her Family its just the Avengers. And them saying she csnt be on a xteam if she isn tthe leader. Have they read Xmen she has followed Cyclops alot. They are using the Goddess line more then they should. Inwish she was on one of the 3 X-men books to be honest
    Yeah, that was kind of condescending. Like she didn't hit the "big time" until she joined The Avengers or there aren't X-Teams she could easily be on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Which is funny because it's clear they are pivoting back to positioning Storm as their Wonder Woman after years of pushing Carol into that spot, only for floppage
    For the record the team she's joining has Carol as the leader.

Mighty Member

To be fair everything in the 2010s was Kevin Feige setting up what he wanted the next generation of MCU to be and we got that all new all different thing
    Last edited by Gripstir; 05-14-2024 at 03:27 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OG Storm View Post
    Just a suggestion, make a thread about that. Storm joining the Avengers has nothing to do with that.
    It does have a bit to do with it due to backstage politics of the company but I also don't want it to seem like I'm bashing Storm either. Love her glad she's on Avengers

Ultimate Member

That is not exactly true.

She held at least 2 50 issue runs.

Some of her trades (mainly the Kelly Sue DeConnick era that dominate trade sales).

Also some of those runs were stopped due to Marvel events that derailed other books as well.

Folks want to toss that false narrative with her but not MOON KNIGHT-where folks joked about his runs restarting over and over again as well.

She’s going to eat Carol up and leave no crumbs

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    It does have a bit to do with it due to backstage politics of the company but I also don't want it to seem like I'm bashing Storm either. Love her glad she's on Avengers
    only thing im not liking is the public ovation of her not being on the X-MEN anymore like their beneath her. guess avengers really are the superior franchise in everyone mind :-(
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.