Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hollow Appreciation 2024!!!

Appreciation for Hollow - whomever she may be. Yvette? A girl from Yugoslavia?

She was in Generation X, Loners, and Avengers Academy, as well as partner to Phil Urich for a time.

Who is she? Where is she? Is she even a mutant?

Last edited by danielsan52; 05-14-2024 at 06:33 AM.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Incredible Member

wait is she the original Penance?
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Sometimes it feels like off panel Hope channeling the PF, Wanda, Doc Strange and Galactus all did a ritual with the infinity gems and the incantations was "NO MORE CHARACTER GROWTH!"

Wait what?
    Hickman was right!!!!!!! Long live Krakoa

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Appreciation for Hollow - whomever she may be. Yvette? A girl from Yugoslavia?

She was in Generation X, Loners, and Avengers Academy, as well as partner to Phil Urich for a time.

Who is she? Where is she? Is she even a mutant?

The mother of Monet, Emplate and the Twins

Origin
    Monet St. Croix is the sister of Marius, Claudette, and Nicole St. Croix. When her brother Marius, who would later become the mutant Emplate, first manifested his powers, the conceited Monet often verbally abused him. An enraged Emplate transformed her body into a hardened, spiked, red state and left her mute. He then told her to "consider this your penance." Claudette and Nicole, realizing how dangerous their brother was becoming, banished him to his own pocket dimension, but he managed to bring Monet with him, who takes the name Penance. Nicole and Claudette, knowing Monet was their parents' favorite, decide to merge into one body with the appearance of Monet.

Shortly after the formation of the mutant teen team Generation X, Penance was dropped onto the front lawn of the Massachusetts Academy by Gateway, who revealed her identity as Penance. She was brought inside by headmaster Banshee, who discovers her powers as he cut his hands by trying to pick her up. As Penance cannot speak, understand English (apparently), and with immunity to telepathy, Banshee placed her in the infirmary as Banshee and Emma Frost attempted to discover her identity. Teen member M, her relation to Penance unknown, used deductive reasoning to suggest Penance was perhaps a prisoner of Emplate, whom the group had encountered previously while keeping her personal knowledge of Penance private.

Penance awakened with one thought on her mind: survival. Tearing apart her cell and escaping, she was free. Hearing the alarms of a breach, the team rushed to the infirmary and stared at the extensive damage she caused during her escape. The team split up to find her before she could cause further damage to the Academy. Teammember Chamber, feeling a kindred spirit due to his own mutilated body, left the group to search for her alone. Feeling that another deformed soul would seek him out, he waited for her arrival. After Penance fought her way past the rest of the team (Husk, Synch, Jubilee, and M), she approached Chamber, who spoke telepathically to her in an attempt to convince her that he knew how she felt, eventually calming the girl down into staying with the team.

During her stay at the Academy, Penance would rarely interact with her peers due to her animalistic nature and fear of being captured again. Fortunately, perhaps due to her time with the feral mutant Wolverine, Jubilee became a friend to her. Trusting her friends more, Penance began to go on missions with the others. In a subsequent mission, presumably, to cover up their relation, Emplate referred to her as "Yvette" and the others grew somewhat more wary of Penance.

Finally, M revealed herself to be a combination of two sisters, and told the others the truth about Penance, and that they felt horrible about impersonating their sister. To "make things right", the twins, now split apart, merged once more into the form of Monet and swapped places with Penance, freeing the real Monet at last, with the merged twins taking over as Penance's body.

Monet, free at last, continued to operate under the twins' codename of M, while the twins retained the identity of Penance. Both remained a part of the Generation X team, while still trying to cure the still mute Penance.

Later, an explosion freed the twins from the Penance body, but the body would continue to function as though a mind remained inside it.

When the school was no longer deemed safe for them, Emma spoke to Ambassador St. Croix to take Penance along with the mutants Artie Maddicks and Leech to Morocco

The Loners
    Penance later reappeared under the codename Hollow. She had been held captive by MGH-harvesting drug dealers. Penance, trying to convince Ricochet that she wasn't a threat, though he has been avoiding her claws. Lightspeed (following Johnny out of concern) lands between the two and uses her Kymellian powers to mesmerize Penance, but was stabbed through her shoulders instead.

Later, Penance encountered the rest of the group at the hospital (where Julie was recovering); where she sensed a kindred spirit within Phil Urich. She also sensed the ones to imprisoned her, including a mysterious woman who called her "Hollow". It was Mickey Musashi's discussion with the woman that allowed Hollow to remain with the group and stay at Phil's place. While she was sleeping and Phil was washing dishes, she was awakened by the sound of him smashing them (when he saw an image of himself as the Green Goblin and her kissing) and tried to comfort him.

Avengers Academy
    Hollow was shown to be one of the new students at the Avengers Academy. She was present when playing tug-of-war with some of the Loners against Lyra. When Jocasta was seemingly "killed," Hollow was one of the students to gather and to see what happened.

When the kids on Cyclops' side of the X-Men tried to escape from the Academy, Hollow sided with them.

Source: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Hollow_(Earth-616)
    Last edited by danielsan52; 05-14-2024 at 07:43 AM.

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura

Yvette from Yugoslavia is a real one.

I realize Hollow / OG Penance is an older character now, but it's still wild to me that the kids don't know her...

She was so spooky in Generation X.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I always felt there was more to the Penance story then that was told so far. But the plot is abandoned, or never fully made.

Unfortunately Penance is on the list of forgotten X-characters.

As she was actually my favorite Gen X member, I had always had the quiet hope they would pick up her story one day. Just like I still hope we will one day find out what Lifeguard's connection is with the Shi'ar.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I always felt there was more to the Penance story then that was told so far. But the plot is abandoned, or never fully made.

As she was actually my favorite Gen X member, I had always had the quiet hope they would pick up her story one day. Just like I still hope we will one day find out what Lifeguard's connection is with the Shi'ar.
    I always felt the twins are M and M is Penance was such a weird reveal... especially when M (real one) had the same powers and personality as the twins merged...
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Sometimes it feels like off panel Hope channeling the PF, Wanda, Doc Strange and Galactus all did a ritual with the infinity gems and the incantations was "NO MORE CHARACTER GROWTH!"

She should get the original backstory intended for Penance. Yvette.
    And Monet should ditch that look, she doesn’t need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post

i Really agree with you as I would love to know more about Lifeguard's connection to Shiar.

As for Hollow, I reallly now believe she is part Monet.
    First it has never been explained how monet can now change shape + Monet attending Phil Urich's funerals makes me consider both Monet and Hollow are now living in the same body.

Quote Originally Posted by razzmatazz360 View Post
    i Really agree with you as I would love to know more about Lifeguard's connection to Shiar.

As for Hollow, I reallly now believe she is part Monet.
    First it has never been explained how monet can now change shape + Monet attending Phil Urich's funerals makes me consider both Monet and Hollow are now living in the same body.
    I'd rather they be two individuals as originally intended. Monet existed elsewhere while Hollow was in The Loners and Avengers Academy.

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura

There is no particular reationship between Phil Urich and Monet, so why did she attend his funeral?
    For me, Hollow's consciouness lives somewhere inside Monet's mind.

Capture d'écran 2024-05-14 171506.jpg

Monet, Norah Winters and Ben Urich at Phil's funeral

Quote Originally Posted by razzmatazz360 View Post
    Capture d'écran 2024-05-14 171506.jpg

Monet, Norah Winters and Ben Urich at Phil's funeral
    Editorial mistake maybe. Monet would not have maimed Lightspeed during this era.
    Last edited by danielsan52; 05-14-2024 at 11:17 AM.

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura

Penance was one of my favourite Gen Xers along with Chamber and Mondo. The entire team had such cool and unique powers.
    My head canon is that there's a real Yugoslavian mutant that had Penance's powers and was fed on by Emplate. She escaped him and he later turned Monet into a replica of her.

...and my fave Gen X cover...

Last edited by nx01a; 05-14-2024 at 05:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'