Page 184 of 185 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185 LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 2767

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Nothing petty about realizing that there is no need for this character.

Given that the X-MEN wrecked their entire line in an attempt to be The Inhumans leads me to believe you are on to something.

By "rammed down reader's throats" you mean "were their own characters and were not attempting to leach off someone's mantle and were in much better stories with better creators readers responded to" than yeah, your right

Now that I get that out of my system,... Readers have to realise that the majority of new characters are going to fail, and there is nothing wrong with that. It's like those nature documentaries that show baby turtles being born and rushing towards the sea before a predator can devour them. Here is a clip, don't worry it's just under two minutes https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MB5p2B...ZyB0byBzZWE%3D What you have to understand is that for every Lee, Kirby etc baby turtle that made it to the ocean THERE ARE COUNTLESS BABY TURTLES THAT DIDN'T. People act like everything the legends did was golden but they had more misses than hits. That is why the baby turtles that make it to the ocean resonate so much with us. The mantle characters are the equivalent of a caring but foolish human picking the turtles up and walking to the sea and tossing them in. It's nice that they care that much, but that isn't nature's plan.

What is a character "failing"? Having one run get cancelled? Two? That seems like a highly arbitrary metric when we have major characters who didn't really take off for the majority of their existence until they showed up in a movie or did something big in a major event.

The guy in my pfp was in less than 10 books for the first 30 years of his existence, then he was a side character in a C list team and a character in video game that more people consumed than read his 80s comic. and is now a household name anyone on the street can call out at an instant. Was he a "failed character"? Clesrly not. His character is highly successful, he just needed the right story, the right audience at the right time.

The x men couldn't sell a book before Claremont got to them. No one cared about the allegory; the cool powers, nothing. Claremont introduced storytelling like no other book was doing and it turned heads. Now they're iconic

Characters in these long fork universes are living mercurial things in their relationship with the public and audience reception. It only takes one lightning strike to make a nothing character iconic.

Ah, the X-Men. The exception that proves the rule.The reason why lightning strikes fascinate us so much is because of how rare they are. While a lightning strike can happen to a left for dead character or characters ask yourself this what are the odds of being struck by lightning? 1 in 1,222,000 is some very long odds to beat, let alone base a plan around.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ah, the X-Men. The exception that proves the rule.The reason why lightning strikes fascinate us so much is because of how rare they are. While a lightning strike can happen to a left for dead character or characters ask yourself this what are the odds of being struck by lightning? 1 in 1,222,000 is some very long odds to beat, let alone base a plan around.
    None of this proves the comment you wrote last page about the X-Men line being wrecked and Nadia being a failure true. Some fans really need to learn the difference between "I don't like this" and "these characters are ruined forever".

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    None of this proves the comment you wrote last page about the X-Men line being wrecked
    You know that this is an opinion thread. The word opinion is in the title of the thread. For what it's worth I'm sure Marvel moved Brevoort into the X-Office because of the new company wide commitment to feng shui, not because of Krakoa failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    and Nadia being a failure true. Some fans really need to learn the difference between "I don't like this" and "these characters are ruined forever".
    Some fans really need to learn how to read thread titles.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-14-2024 at 10:02 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Everyone’s a critic
    Did the avatar give it away LOL.

You know that this is an opinion thread. The word opinion is in the title of the thread. For what it's worth I'm sure Marvel moved Brevoort into the X-Office because of the new company wide commitment to feng shui, not because of Krakoa failing.

Some fans really need to learn how to read thread titles.
    And this is me sharing my opinion.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-14-2024 at 11:00 PM.

Did the avatar give it away LOL.
    That’s the joke
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

The Inhumans push was a mistake.
    The Inhumans are better off in limbo forgotten and ignored

I haven't read over the 180+ pages of this yet so I might be parroting someone, but I'll say Wolverine's yellow and blue suit is stupid AF and the brown/orange one is more appropriate for the character and what he represents.

And also, the Agents of Atlas should be the same characters who actually appeared in the Atlas comics. The new incarnation with White Fox, Brawn, Wave, etc. should get their own name and leave Atlas to the characters from the 50s.

My opinion is that Tony Stark is a much more interesting, complex and overall better character than Spider Man, Wolverine and other characters that are considered more iconic than him.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    My opinion is that Tony Stark is a much more interesting, complex and overall better character than Spider Man, Wolverine and other characters that are considered more iconic than him.
    Sometimes I think Marvel has a problem with Tony Stark. It almost feels like he is a stand in for every billionaire they hate and the writers feel this intense need to "knock the character down a peg!" They need to just make peace with the fact that most of the readers want to be Tony Stark LOL! He is brilliant, rich and famous and has many lady acquaintances. DEAL WITH IT.

The character does have some ups and downs but he is still an aspirational character.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-15-2024 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Tony Stark is not a stand in for every billionaire that irks you

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I haven't read over the 180+ pages of this yet so I might be parroting someone, but I'll say Wolverine's yellow and blue suit is stupid AF and the brown/orange one is more appropriate for the character and what he represents.

And also, the Agents of Atlas should be the same characters who actually appeared in the Atlas comics. The new incarnation with White Fox, Brawn, Wave, etc. should get their own name and leave Atlas to the characters from the 50s.
    I enjoyed the 'Asians of Atlas' for what it was, although would have preferred to see more established Asian characters like Kwannon, Silver Samurai, Collective Man, Jade Dragon, Raz Malhotra, etc. instead of the new ones like Dan Bi and Lin Li. (I kinda like Wave, though, of the new characters.) There's at least thirty (non-mutant) Asian characters lying around in limbo right now (and 45-ish Asian mutants!). Seemed a bit unnecessary to have quite so much new blood, when there are interesting characters like Banyan and Red Lotus, Radiance and Jolt, Haechi and Komodo, Wiz Kid and Dragoness, just lying around.

But I also would have preferred the Agents of Atlas be at least affiliated with the Atlas organization Jimmy Woo was running per the last Agents of Atlas iteration, even if it didn't necessarily have the same line-up of Gorilla-Man, Namora, Venus, M-11, etc...

And yeah, the brown-and-tan Wolverine suit over the blue-and-yellow *every* day! I am not at all nostalgic for that, any more than for his first appearance in the Hulk, where his super-power was *super-speed* and not regeneration or super-senses, and his claws *came off when he removed his glove!* Stuff changes. I'm good with that. No need to go back to the 'classic' look when the classic look was meh.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Tony has the same problem that rich leader-y sorts have all the time. Namor, Black Bolt, Thor, have to lose their kingdom, company and / or fortune every couple of years, as some hot new writer has some brilliant idea to 'deconstruct' the character. For the eleventyth time. But oh, it's gonna be SOOOOO original, this time, with what's-his-name, Feilong, unlike that time it was SOOOO original with Justin Hammer, and the time before that it was SOOO original with Obadiah Stane, and, and, and...

Just, so darn boring. Deconstruction worked once, for Daredevil. It's sucked donkey nuts every time since, but every creatively bankrupt wanna-be 'genius' has to take a tilt at that windmill, because they can do it so much better, they think...

It's just bad writing. If one accepts a job to write Tony Stark, and the character is a rich CEO, then ****ing write a story about a rich CEO and stop trying to reinvent the dude. He's not your IP, and he's already got a 'brand.' Embrace it. Don't try to piss into the wind or paddle against the current and make him something he isn't, or have to somehow 'earn' the status/position/wealth that you arbitrarily stripped from him at the start of your run. You want to write about someone with perpetual money problems? Spider-Man is *right there.*

The challenge is to write a story that embraces what the character already has, and makes life *still* a challenge for them. Have his being a corporate CEO interfere with his attempt at just flying around throwing zaps because he's got *actual responsibilities,* and his public reputation can affect his stock numbers. He wants to use his money to change the world in some way for the better? Oh wait, there are entrenched forces in the world profiting by the status quo who will fight him! (So him having a buttload of cash turns out to not be the magic bullet, anymore than some lottery winner or tech billionaire can 'fix' the environment.) Actual challenges that come *from* the characters pre-existing traits. They aren't just challenges, they are *opportunities.* Plot points just waiting to be explored, not obstacles that make the character 'unrelatable' (as if we aren't talking about books about people who are part demon or robot or alien or space-god or whatever!).

And this applies to so many other characters. If we go by the sheer amount of *crap* that has fallen upon Attilan, Atlantis, Wakanda, Asgard, etc. over the last few decades, Black Bolt, Namor, T'Challa and Thor are the worst rulers of their respective cities in *millenia!* And, really, that's not the characters fault, that those cities stood for many centuries completely fine before they came along. It's the writers who have decided over and over again to trash those cities to 'challenge the characters.'
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-15-2024 at 10:57 PM.

Best costumes in the Marvel Universe in no particular order.

Spider-Man original: It's flashy. It's fun

Spider-Man Black: Just the right balance between mysterious and menacing

Yellow Jacket: It's one of those suits that you never get tired of praising.

Moonknight original: If Moonknight debuted wearing anything other than this the character would be forgotten. Also, the "Mister Knight" suit sucked. Yeah, I said it.

Nightcrawler: it's so simple, but it works

Spider-Woman original: I'm just glad that Marvel finally came around to the fact that it's the best look.

Carol Danvers as Ms.Marvel, black suit: What can be said about this that hasn't been said. Stop with all the excuses for not using it (no, Cadet Marvel doesn't count) because none of them hold up. Slap a Hala on it and call it day.

Storm original: Hey it's another Cockrum suit!

Wolverine brown suit: I prefer the yellow and blue but yeah, the brown is better.

The Vision white look: The closest The Vision has ever come to looking like a supernatural creature. It's on it's way back via a legacy hero but he is wearing boots. Boots don't work with it, the character has to be barefoot to sell the look.

Iron Man Silver Centurian: I know, everyone hates the shoulders. But it's so good that it really doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-15-2024 at 11:37 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I love the MCU, but if Deadpool is what it takes to "save" it, it's better off dead.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.