Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Storm joins the Avengers
    X-Men Forever

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I'm probably in the minority here, but I never cared for nor needed to see either Wolverine or Spider-Man as Avengers. Not in any reality.

But I am definitely on record wanting either Storm or Jean Grey to one day become Avengers. And I also appreciate the team more when the roster has at least 2 or so heroes that haven't received much attention, even though they've been lurking around the MU for decades.

It's really a simple formula, imho. Take 2-3 longstanding Avengers, add in 2 more barely used Marvel characters, toss in one wildcard (typically a former villain seeking redemption) and lastly add 1 character who is relatively well-known but not popular enough to carry their own title. Shake and/or stir to perfection with villains or a crisis that no single hero can address.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Storm joins the Avengers
    I'm totally for this, especially if T'Challa leaves. Add Blue Marvel and I'd be in Heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Didn’t that initial New Avengers run have Aunt Petunia's favorite nephew?
    The Thing was part of a later lineup of the "New Avengers"

All-New Member

I'd love to see Spider-Man back on the avengers. It was a great time!

BANNED

Maybe that disastrous Avengers video game would have sold better had it featured Spider-Man and Wolverine. There's a reason Spider-Man has his own Insomniac franchise, and Wolverine's about to start, whereas the Avengers was DOA.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Maybe that disastrous Avengers video game would have sold better had it featured Spider-Man and Wolverine. There's a reason Spider-Man has his own Insomniac franchise, and Wolverine's about to start, whereas the Avengers was DOA.
    Might have something to do with the fact that Insomniac games are story focused single payer experiences. The Avengers game is another entry on the heap of failed Live-Service games. A trend in the industry that still hasn't been broken.

What's that recent Suicide Squad game called? Heard it doesn't do well for the exact same reasons.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Spider-Man is a PlayStation exclusive DLC character in Avengers. It didn't do much in terms of sales other than piss people off for being exclusive to PS.

Both Spider-Man and Wolverine are playable in Midnight Suns and although I loved that game, it wasn't exactly a smash hit in terms of sales among casual gamers.

Gaming crowd cares more about the genre and quality of the game than the IP. See Fallout 76. Unfortunately there is also a section of gamers that shout "get woke go broke" to any creative decision they don't agree with for mostly petty, and dare I say, racist, sexist, mysogynistic reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Oh ok. Thank you for the correction.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Wasn't the Thing a member of the West Coast Avengers for a brief time? Or maybe they asked him and he turned them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Wasn't the Thing a member of the West Coast Avengers for a brief time? Or maybe they asked him and he turned them down.
    It was a running plot point that Hawkeye wanted to get the Thing to join his team to give them some legitimacy. Eventually he did help them out on a mission and accepted membership status, but he left before an official vote could be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The Thing was invited to be a West Coast Avenger, and he accepted the invitation. However, he left soon after and he never acted as an actual member of the team. But, he was considered an actual member of the team, and he has answered the call a couple of times, such as in Avengers #305 and in the Atlantis Attacks storyline. I know it's hard to keep up with the membership nowadays, since everybody and their dog seems to be an Avenger nowadays, however, before Bendis took over and then we had multiple unconnected teams (New, Mighty, Secret, Uncanny, etc...), it was easier to figure out.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    The Thing was invited to be a West Coast Avenger, and he accepted the invitation. However, he left soon after and he never acted as an actual member of the team. But, he was considered an actual member of the team, and he has answered the call a couple of times, such as in Avengers #305 and in the Atlantis Attacks storyline. I know it's hard to keep up with the membership nowadays, since everybody and their dog seems to be an Avenger nowadays, however, before Bendis took over and then we had multiple unconnected teams (New, Mighty, Secret, Uncanny, etc...), it was easier to figure out.

Peace
    You may be getting confused with the timeline. There were other Avengers-related teams (besides the Avengers themselves) before Bendis, such as West Coast Avengers, Great Lakes Avengers, Thunderbolts (to a certain degree), and A-Next and Ultimates (in other universes, but still). And Avengers Forever, too, but that was a limited series and, because of its premise, the team in it would never be able to keep existing after the story ended, even if someone wanted so.

Then there is Avengers Disassembled in 2004, the main group disbands, and then returns as the New Avengers. This is where Bendis' Avengers start (either in AD, which he wrote, or in NA, with a team of his own design). It is soon followed by Young Avengers, Mighty Avengers 1 (the ones who side with the law after Civil War), Mighty Avengers 2 (Pym's team after Secret Invasion), Secret Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, U.S.Avengers, etc. Eventually there were so many teams that things came to an end in "No surrender", followed by Aaron's Avengers, once again a single team in a single book (well, we still got the recent WCA, Savage Avengers, etc; Marvel can't help themselves but you get the idea)

You may be getting confused with the timeline. There were other Avengers-related teams (besides the Avengers themselves) before Bendis, such as West Coast Avengers, Great Lakes Avengers, Thunderbolts (to a certain degree), and A-Next and Ultimates (in other universes, but still). And Avengers Forever, too, but that was a limited series and, because of its premise, the team in it would never be able to keep existing after the story ended, even if someone wanted so.
    Of those, only the West Coast Avengers were considered official Avengers. Thunderbolts were never considered Avengers. Though they wanted and even got Hawkeye and Mockingbird to train them, the Great Lake Avengers were also never officialized as an Avengers team. As you've mentioned, A-Next and Ultimates were from another universe, and, as such not applicable as official Avengers. Avengers Forever was a team whose members were picked from various time-periods. Hank Pym (both), Hawkeye, Cap and Wasp were from the past and long time members. The only new additions, from the future, were Songbird (which sort of became an Avenger in Al Ewing's New Avengers. I think. As I've said, things become kind of complicated after a while) and only Captain Marvel (Genis-Vell) never actually became an Avenger (I think). While I agree that the creation of the West Coast Avengers opened the door to larger membership drives, I stand by my comment that it only felt like it got out of hand after Bendis arrived and started the miracle of teams multiplication.

Peace