Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    spoilers:

forget about her arc, I don't understand her character at all

first she dances with Magneto, but then she chooses Gambit
    she wants to avenge Gambit, but then she regrets that she “killed” Trask
    joins Magneto, and then she changes sides again
    fights Bastion #justiceforRemy, Cyclops gave a speech? all is forgiven
    literally every one of her decisions was reversed
    and if they restore the relationship between Magneto and Rogue (again!) and then between Gambit and Rogue (again!) .... aargh

Once again apologizing for my bad Engrish
    end of spoilers
    Your English is perfect. What you've written sums up my feelings about Rogue this season. It felt like she was written by a goldfish, because whatever she thought or did in one episode was reversed by the next. I am not optimistic about her getting better treatment next season.

If I had to give my honest rating for the season, I'm at about a 6.5 or 7. It was messy, rushed and relied too much on the rule of cool. It's so frustrating because it had a lot of potential and genuinely great moments, but it needed a stronger editor to come in and make better decisions. It definitely needed someone reading for characterization and character consistency.
    Last edited by DearMachine; 05-15-2024 at 06:06 AM.

Fantastic Member

Eh it's not all doom and gloom. They are just pushing Romy into next season. spoilers:
    Don't forget in the original series Rogue was part of the reason why Archangel broke out of his Death persona, so it's not like she has no experience on the subject.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
    Eh it's not all doom and gloom. They are just pushing Romy into next season. spoilers:
    Don't forget in the original series Rogue was part of the reason why Archangel broke out of his Death persona, so it's not like she has no experience on the subject.
    end of spoilers
    Ummm ... when did THAT happen? Like legit, I don't remember the episode with him being fixed/cured.

But it really just doesn't make me enthusiastic for S2 when I already know I have to sit through two of my least favorite plots for Rogue & Gambit as characters, possibly for the entire thing.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Ummm ... when did THAT happen? Like legit, I don't remember the episode with him being fixed/cured.

But it really just doesn't make me enthusiastic for S2 when I already know I have to sit through two of my least favorite plots for Rogue & Gambit as characters, possibly for the entire thing.
    You don't remember that scene with Rogue's fat ass that gets meme'd to infinity? It's from that episode.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post

Yeah, she did absorb him when he was Archangel of Death (first appearance I think) and it helped break the spell he was under. It was also the reason why she was so ready to follow him during one of his subsequent appearances. I don't remember the episode titles though.

spoilers:
    Rogue will likely be the one to break through Apocalypse's spell. She always comes to his rescue...or so Remy said.
    end of spoilers
    Gambit. Rogue. Repeat.

I will say that the X-Men '97 comic is very cute and more the fun revival I expected the show to be. At least so far.

It doesn't have tons of Romy, but it has some sweet, little moments like them shopping together, Jubilee not wanting to be their third wheel when they go to the Dazzler concert, Gambit commenting on how hot Dazzler is and Rogue getting mock jealous only for him to reassure her. Nothing spectacular or worth buying the book to see, but much more in keeping with their '92 portrayal as two people who enjoy each other's company and have fun together.

I don't mind the harder-edged, more adult approach to the property that '97 takes, but I do miss those cute, little, low stakes moments.
    Last edited by DearMachine; 05-15-2024 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nox Noctes View Post
    Yeah, she did absorb him when he was Archangel of Death (first appearance I think) and it helped break the spell he was under. It was also the reason why she was so ready to follow him during one of his subsequent appearances. I don't remember the episode titles though.

spoilers:
    Rogue will likely be the one to break through Apocalypse's spell. She always comes to his rescue...or so Remy said.
    end of spoilers
    Yeah this is probably correct. I just fear we won't get that resolution until end of S2 or even 3 ... 85 years from now.

Also, I guess I didn't read Archangel as "cured/fixed" since he was still blue and obsessed with revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I will say that the X-Men '97 comic is very cute and more the fun revival I expected the show to be. At least so far.

It doesn't have tons of Romy, but it has some sweet, little moments like them shopping together, Jubilee not wanting them to be the third wheel when they go to the Dazzler concert, Gambit commenting on how hot Dazzler is and Rogue getting mock jealous only for him to reassure her. Nothing spectacular, but much more in keeping with their '92 portrayal as two people who enjoy each other's company and have fun together.

I don't mind the harder-edged, more adult approach to the property that '97 takes, but I do miss those cute little, low stakes moments.
    Yeah it's cute, but a little too cute? Meanwhile the show needs to do a much better job for me with giving hope and something to actually root for that I care about. I remain dissatisfied by so many unfulfilled character arcs and that's not a great payoff for a first season that makes me chomping at the bit for more of the same.

Spectacular Member

The highlight for me is bringing me back to the world of X. I hadn't bought X-Men Tshirts in a while, but found redbubble.com and loved their shirts. I got one and amazing fits me perfectly. I've struggled finding true to size forms.
    The plus side? We may just have to endure one more season of what Demayo thinks is a great OTP story and onto a new showrunner for third season. Unless he can prove me wrong and that Rogue/Mags apocalypse is not going to be a story next year. I think the whole prob was the self-insert and sacrificing others for said bias.

Spectacular Member

Oh and Lenore being asked who is Rogue's soulmate. Disney didn't even censor her !

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I would give it 7.5. And certain not a lot of focus on Gambit or Romy but Gambit clearly had the highlight of the season and Beau was wrong. Episodes 8-10 did not outdo Episode 5. So for all his love of Mags, Professor, Jean and Scott I think social media and views will provw that Episode 5 was the pinnacle of Marvel animated shows.
    7.5 is a fair rating.
    Yes, ep 5 was top tier.

But waht else he would say really after ep 5?
    Yes, we made our best episode in the middle so next episodes will be only good or medicore.

Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

spoilers:
    So, I have been deliberating events since 8am UK time. We all hypothesised Deathbit is coming so the mid-credits scene isn’t a shock to most of us. I think the biggest shock was that there was actually a mid cred scene.

Honestly I plumped the air when I saw it. Admittedly it may have been due to the fact that initially I though I was not getting any hint of his return, so I was happy there was something.

I didn’t like Deathbit in the comics, however a lot of that was tied up with how stupid the idea of Gambit doing it voluntarily was. Doing it to keep an eye on Apocalypse was a stupid premise that relies on Gambit being niave, and frankly an idiot.

The current approach at least has Gambit resurrected against is will, rather than a willing tool.

100% expecting Rogue to snap him out of his death persona by uttering “Your name is Gambit, Sugar…Remember it” sealed with a smooch.
    end of spoilers
    L'Enfer !

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nox Noctes View Post

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    now I'm wondering if Apocalypse will add some sort of defense to Remy's transformation as Death that makes him immune to Rogue's touch in order for her to not be able to break the brainwashing as easy as last time. There would be something very perverse about Rogue finally being able to touch Remy but only while he's in Deathbit form and not himself. The ultimate dream turned into a twisted nightmare for Rogue.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Pretty good episode, solid. But I do think this cements Episode 5 as being the best of the series and clearly the writers believe this as they put episode 5 forward for a Primetime Emmy. Looking at the contenders I think it will have a great chance of winning it.

Also do you guys/gals think the writers have noticed how big of a hit Gambit was and could possibly make him have a bigger more central role for season 2?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Romy134 View Post
    spoilers:
    Pretty good episode, solid. But I do think this cements Episode 5 as being the best of the series and clearly the writers believe this as they put episode 5 forward for a Primetime Emmy. Looking at the contenders I think it will have a great chance of winning it.

Also do you guys/gals think the writers have noticed how big of a hit Gambit was and could possibly make him have a bigger more central role for season 2?
    end of spoilers
    Probably not since season 2 is already started and while not finished it has gone to far to make big changes. It’s season three where lessons learned from viewers reactions might be felt.

The process of making a cartoon is not agile. The Simpsons has never dealt with current topics due to this. It’s always delayed with at least 1 season due to the cumbersome process of having it animated.

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

spoilers:
    Saw someone in the YouTube comments of a video point out that Apocalypse could very well be using & manipulating Gambit purely on whatever transpires in the past that Rogue is trapped in with young baby Apocalypse. Kind of a ‘fun fact’ that hadn’t crossed my mind yet - they could really do something in the past to piss him off so he may very well be selecting horsemen in the present to cripple the X-Men from stopping him, knowing exactly how to strike & corrupt each horseman/lady/person.
    end of spoilers