Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default NEW MUTANTS/X-FORCE Appreciation 2024

The X-MEN were DEAD. But NEW MUTANTS still awaited education in the ways of the Children of the Atom. Accepting that a School for the Gifted was still needed for the new generations, Charles Xavier brought a new class of students to this Salem Center school. They would learn to master their powers...but they would NOT be heroes.

But they were. Don't call them "X-BABIES"

Misadventures found these New Mutants and they would come into their own as a team at Xavier's School, on the Road, and Beyond. This Generation of X would have the distinction of learning under the tutelage of nurturing XAVIER, revolutionary MAGNETO, and military CABLE, making them more than capable to striking out on their own using both an open hand and closed fist to fight for dream everywhere...as NEW MUTANTS, X-MEN, X-FORCE and beyond...

Last edited by Thirteen; 05-16-2024 at 10:01 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Thank you for this thread. I really hope the new era puts these characters in the spotlight again.
    It's worrying that only Magik has a confirmed role so far.

I wish Rusty, Skids, and Cougar had joined. They would be more well known today.

Same for the Hellions if they weren't killed off.

Then there is Locus. Anyone ever going to fix that mess? They could ideally be retconned as two merged characters.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I wish Rusty, Skids, and Cougar had joined. They would be more well known today.

Same for the Hellions if they weren't killed off.

Then there is Locus. Anyone ever going to fix that mess? They could ideally be retconned as two merged characters.
    To be honest, I had to google Cougar. I don't remember him.
    Skids would have made a lot of sense as part of the new X-factor. She's a former SHIELD agent after all.
    Was Rusty brought back in the Krakoan era? I can't recall. But I guess they can say that whoever they want to bring back was resurrected off-panel.

My favourite New mutants are Dani Rahne Roberto. I hope 2024 is AMAZING for them , I don't wanna talk about 97 Roberto.. AS FOR THE OTHERS! I need Dani to be in a book please.

If I had to rank them.

Dani
    Rahne
    Robert
    Warlock
    Magik
    Doug
    Magma

Extraordinary Member

Absolutely no one but me remembers Bedlam was a member of X-Force.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

This will always be my X-Force. The younger mutants doing things their own way. I hate that the team name now has become so linked to the kill squad.

Last edited by Zero Hunter; 05-16-2024 at 10:58 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    The Liefeld era is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

This will always be my X-Force. The younger mutants doing things their own way. I hate that the team name now has become so linked to the kill squad.

Yeah, that ship has sailed.
    But I hope classic X-force can reclaim something like X-terminators.
    I could see a team of Boom Boom, Domino, Feral, Rictor and Shatterstar doing well enough to sustain at least a series of minis.
    Boom Boom and Rictor were part of the original version, after all.

Did not expect to love New Mutants vol.1 as much as I did when I read it for the first time a few years ago. I usually don't care much for "they are super-heroes. But they are also kids" books. I even ended up liking pretty much the entire cast. Also unusual for me.

Only read very random issues of the various X-Force books. Will have to get around to at least reading the version following the end of New Mutants at some point.
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Yeah I really need my New Mutants fix in the From the Ashes era. Make it happen, Brevoort!

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    This will always be my X-Force. The younger mutants doing things their own way. I hate that the team name now has become so linked to the kill squad.]
    Those were great line ups. I'd take them everyday over the Wolverine/Deadpool X-Force.

I brought myself to watch X-Men 97 because there was Sunspot (plus a little bit of Glob and Pixie)

It's amazing how most of the characters look and sound exactly like the comics version... except Roberto who is barely recognizable.
    I could excuse the look, but the personnality was just bland. He was just the generic newcomer. They could have put Hellion instead of him, and tell exactly the same story, with almost the same dialogues.

Roberto from the New Mutants movie was a better adaptation than that. At least he had his original trauma and guilt, hidden behind his arrogance and his flirtatious attitude.

Personnal ranking of the OG New Mutants:

1 Magik
    2 Sunspot
    3 Warlock
    4 Cannonball
    5 Mirage
    6 Wolfsbane
    7 Magma
    8 Karma
    P Cypher
    Last edited by mugiwara; 05-16-2024 at 04:58 PM.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    The Liefeld era is my favorite.
    At the time he was a breath of fresh air that the title needed visually. Rob Liefeld Appreciation ...

Last edited by Thirteen; 05-17-2024 at 07:06 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    At the time he was a breath of fresh air that the title needed visually. LIEFELD APPRECIATION...
    That's true. I cringe looking at those pictures now, but back then my mind was blown. This was way different, more edgy, more sexy than everything before and as a teen, it was exactly what I wanted.
    Although the Jim Lee picture above makes me want to live in a parallel universe in which he was the one drawing New Mutants and X-Force. At least we got a little taste of that in Extinction Agenda.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    That's true. I cringe looking at those pictures now, but back then my mind was blown. This was way different, more edgy, more sexy than everything before and as a teen, it was exactly what I wanted.
    Although the Jim Lee picture above makes me want to live in a parallel universe in which he was the one drawing New Mutants and X-Force. At least we got a little taste of that in Extinction Agenda.
    I know, right?! The Jim Lee version totally rules (IMHO):

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."