Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Who is that brat?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Who is that brat?
    "Hardy" from AVENGERS #218
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Extraordinary Member

Interestingly CBR's Don Perlin retrospective mentions that according to Perlin, he regretted turning down an offer to be the regular Avengers artist because this one issue made him more royalties than he made on any other comic. I never thought The Avengers sold that well, but I suppose it must have sold better than The Defenders.

I'm glad Mr. Perlin stuck with The Defenders, though. Like Sal Buscema before him, Perlin made that book work by drawing whatever insane things the writers came up with and making it work within a traditional Marvel storytelling style. No way would DeMatteis's run have been as entertaining without Perlin.

Valerio Schiti teases his new assignment on AVENGERS with a T'Challa peek.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Interestingly CBR's Don Perlin retrospective mentions that according to Perlin, he regretted turning down an offer to be the regular Avengers artist because this one issue made him more royalties than he made on any other comic. I never thought The Avengers sold that well, but I suppose it must have sold better than The Defenders.

I'm glad Mr. Perlin stuck with The Defenders, though. Like Sal Buscema before him, Perlin made that book work by drawing whatever insane things the writers came up with and making it work within a traditional Marvel storytelling style. No way would DeMatteis's run have been as entertaining without Perlin.
    I'm surprised by Perlin's lack of knowledge pertaining to sales. Granted, the Avengers went downhill fast after issue #200 -- especially with pompous Jim Shooter firing Bill Mantlo and Gene Colan and taking over the book with Bob Hall of all people. This was after amazing runs by Perez, Byrne, and then Perez again. Ironically, Shooter's first run is heralded while his second run is derided -- rightfully so!

Defenders had been losing gas for a long time -- especially after Gerber's departure. I think the Six-Fingered Hand saga was probably the most successful run of the Perlin era, but let's face it -- that book was never going to eclipse Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Such a win for this book. It honestly wasn’t feeling like a true flagship because the art was competent but not above most other comics. Schiti is phenomenal.
    I hope there are more roster shake-ups, like Thor leaving to form a new team alongside Steve and Janet.
    If X-men have three flagships, it would be cool to have the return of titles like Mighty Avengers and Secret Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Such a win for this book. It honestly wasn’t feeling like a true flagship because the art was competent but not above most other comics. Schiti is phenomenal.
    I hope there are more roster shake-ups, like Thor leaving to form a new team alongside Steve and Janet.
    If X-men have three flagships, it would be cool to have the return of titles like Mighty Avengers and Secret Avengers.
    Agreeing with a lot of your points here.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    That’s a beautiful man

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Awwww man those days when we had multiple Avengers books, those were fun.

Lotta characters, lotta stories. So much variety.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 05-16-2024 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Awwww man those days when we had multiple Avengers books, those were fun.

Lotta characters, lotta stories. So much variety.
    Totally. And although there were other Avengers books during the Jason Aaron run, I don't think they ever really felt like the same vibe of Mighty Avengers or Secret Avengers or West Coast Avengers.

I think the closest we got to that feeling during Aaron's run was the Agents of Wakanda series, which I legit enjoyed, usually more than the main Avengers title.

I wonder who would write the second book...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Who says it can’t be substance with more than 2 Avenger books?!
    Tell that to the fans and store owners-who can't stop taking issues with who is on the roster-especially those of certain demographics and hero status.

Try that with Mighty Avengers-there is an issue.

Folks have to realize it can NOT be the same 6-7 folks every issue.

World does not end if you mix it up.

World does not end if Cap America, Living Lightening, Sunspot, Firestar, Hulk and Hercules take on Skrulls. They have all these members for a REASON.

Saw this and immediately thought. Hey another crumb for the Crimson Lighting ship
    But it's also kinda meta on how certain characters don't interact much with each other despite their similarities or even being on the same team.

"This is me being reasonable"

Astonishing Member

It’s a shame they decided on the Demiurge being a mantle and not a reincarnation, because otherwise Wanda would be Thor’s great grandmother

I completely agree with every bit of this.