Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    I still disagree with Marvels take that an african writer must write an African Character. I just hope also it isnt just power feats. I wanna know what maks Ororo tick in current world. And whybshe went to Georgia. And joins the Avengers and not the X-men
    You are absolutely right. But it seemed aside ewing nobody in the xoffice will touch on the fact that storm has a family and lineage that extends beyond being a mutant. It's literally a BIG part of her that has been ignored for soo long till stephanie William's and Ewing touched on it. An African writer is more than likely to emphasize these aspects of her whilst also engaging her mutant status. Because she is a mutant and she is a goddess those things are true at once. Her family line literally produced the very first human sorcerer supreme and shaped civilisations with their power (political, divine and mystical) and influence yet all we hear about her is how she ruled the morlocks, can make it cloudy and windy sometimes and is assistant leader ti the xmen. There is more to her as a charchter than this. And it seems aside Al ewing only African and black writers in general get that.
    Ororo Munroe is Twilight Sparkle in xmen red if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I wish Schiti had designed her new costume instead of Werneck, his SWORD costumes and designs in GODS were gorgeous.

I do think it's kind of funny that Werneck has done a few Storm fan designs over the years that were better than this one, but were also a lot more intricate and when he knows he has to draw the costume in the interiors he comes up with a look that's much more simple. The thing that's bugging me most is the ruby being on the neckpiece instead of on the cape lining.
    Werneck did say he submitted 16 designs so it wasn't all his decision on which one was approved.

Luciano Vecchio recently posted some "fan-art" that were designs for a Storm costume with the same kind of prompt. I wonder if he was asked to do a pitch as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6zJ-ClPdw8/?hl=en

Anywho, I'm soooo happy for Werneck!! He's such a fan and he deserves this. He loves Storm so much (I think his favorite is Jean tho) and has been doing his own fan art and geeking out for so long. Congrats to him!

I'm very glad for this book. Really hopping to see storm out through the ringer. She is going beyond omega so she's basically starting from scratch. Eternity has plans for her, plans that could end her as we know it. There will be politics, she will get messy and complicated I cant wait.

PS: To the people that are complaining that she only seems to be infallible and untouchable well that's largely because when she makes a mistake you lot blow it out of proportion. Marvel knows this we know this and xmen97 showed us this. She isnt allowed to get messy like her counter parts always have to be the bigger person, always have to be the paragon, and that's largely because of the ones who again blow every slight mistake she makes out of proportion. This solo promises a very complicated look on storm and will test her morality hopefully she ends up killing a few people so yall will finally shut up.

Anyways, I cant wait for this book. Of all the announcements for from the ashes this seem to be THEE all encompassing book. Some books deal with national issues, some deal with city issues, some deal with the planet, and some deal with cosmic issues this deals with everything. From atlanta to the dimesion of manifestation itself. I cant wait to read. Also yall preorder the physical copies, apparently that's how they track the books not the digital but the physical copies, weird I know. But if yall
    Want messy storm y'all need to keep the book on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Atlanta is the black mecca of the US. It makes since that Ororo being Black American herself would find herself stationing there! Very excited fir this!!
    It makes absolutely no sense. Because she could have been in Harlem, where she’s had a past, or D.C., or any other place. It’s too on the nose, and actually condescending. Storm has been an African Queen, more than once. She’s been the ruler of a planet of mutants. If it were a team base of some sort, you could maybe see it. But here, it’s just a reach that smells of pandering. I hope it’s not a sign of what we can come to expect with this book. I like continuity, and don’t want her to be so far removed from her roots that she’s no longer recognizable as the character that we love. Storm goes and does what Storm wants as much as what and where she is needed.

For the record it wasn't just "Storm fans" that liked X-Men Red. It was one of the better performing titles of the era.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    For the record it wasn't just "Storm fans" that liked X-Men Red. It was one of the better performing titles of the era.
    It along with Immortal X-Men is regarded as among the best of the Post-Hickman Krakoa books.

Especially with the steady decline brought on by Duggan's reign they managed to be bright spots of the era.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    It along with Immortal X-Men is regarded as among the best of the Post-Hickman Krakoa books.

Especially with the steady decline brought on by Duggan's reign they managed to be bright spots of the era.
    Even Gillen got lots of complaints. Red was the best received around here by far.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I already mentioned this in the Storm thread, but I love her outfit for this series. I never read anything by the author though. Hopefully they will deliver.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

No support cast announced? That does not sound good to me so far. I will give it a try, but without a decent support cast, this will not hold for long. Or will this be a mini series, just like Dazzler is?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Amazing Member

Not a great fan of the design TBH. I'd have preferred something truly fresh for the new era than a blend of previous looks. It's okay. Far better than the suit and mohawk from a few months back. But doesn't hit. Still, I'm looking forward to this. The writer is promising some truly big things so all we can do is wait to see if he'll deliver. As for Werneck, he's a great artist when he's on point and draws some of the PRETTIEST people but sometimes his work can leave a lot to be desired. Fingers crossed that this all goes well Looking forward to seeing what she brings in her solo and as a member of Avengers.

I love Vecchio's designs. Maybe not the lightning bolt (but that has to go somewhere, right?), but other than that I love the outfits. The hip windows especially add a lot and I don't even know why, but I love them.
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMan View Post
    It makes absolutely no sense. Because she could have been in Harlem, where she’s had a past, or D.C., or any other place. It’s too on the nose, and actually condescending. Storm has been an African Queen, more than once. She’s been the ruler of a planet of mutants. If it were a team base of some sort, you could maybe see it. But here, it’s just a reach that smells of pandering. I hope it’s not a sign of what we can come to expect with this book. I like continuity, and don’t want her to be so far removed from her roots that she’s no longer recognizable as the character that we love. Storm goes and does what Storm wants as much as what and where she is needed.
    That tends to happen when you get certain black writers. They want to prove blackness of a character. You don't have to prove blackness. We see she is black.

So you can end up with a ton of black troupe or WORST the last 8 years of Black Panther.

It's pandering for clicks and likes on Twitter to certain parts that will NEVER buy the book. Will defend it to toxic levels without READING it. Because all they care about is her blackness being defined into what they accept.

Yet will be the FIRST to complain when it gets axed.

Yet never bought the book.

Spectacular Member Galen Nycroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That tends to happen when you get certain black writers. They want to prove blackness of a character. You don't have to prove blackness. We see she is black.

So you can end up with a ton of black troupe or WORST the last 8 years of Black Panther. It's pandering for clicks and likes on Twitter
    Every creator brings their own personal ideas, ideals, and goals to the artforms they produce, however I feel like they also need to understand the character history and the brand as well.

While Storm is "black" in the physical sense, she does not have the full "black experience" in America, as she is half immigrant born, and also was raised mostly abroad outside the United States. So for writers to graft traditional foundational (as in descended from slaves, ancestors struggled to stay in the country) "blackness" and the historical black struggles onto Storm won't really make much sense IMO.

We don't know that this is why the writer chose Atlanta as the backdrop, but hopefully it's not to fill Storm's first solo outing in a while, with black stereotypes, tropes and "blackisms", or to somehow turn Storm in to some "Strowng Black Wommun" or "Sista Gurl" stereotype to please the Twitter and Tumblr crowd, or a few LGBTQIA+ fans on reddit.

We shall see in October!

Really excited for this! I’m also glad that Storm is getting a U.S. local away from the X-Men so she really can put down some roots grow on.

I also like the new uniform. I don’t like the Earring but I’m hoping I will get use to it.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Yup. It's a generally well received book and was consistently the strongest of the line. Git fumbled towards the end tho. And the arakki seem to be cast to the aether but xmen red was Fandom wide HIT. We even has non xmen fans running in because they were excited. Not to mention it was seen as a flagship book because of how loved and praised it was when reality it wasnt. Fall of x showed us that.