Page 418 of 468 FirstFirst ... 318368408414415416417418419420421422428 ... LastLast
Results 6,256 to 6,270 of 7015

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    -----

"All 3 major stock indexes close at record highs as inflation slows down"

"Each of the major U.S. stock indexes closed Wednesday at record highs after new federal data showed inflation slowing down.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average, S&P 500 and Nasdaq composite all rallied Wednesday after the Labor Department reported inflation falling to a 3.4 percent annual rate in April after a 0.3 percent monthly increase in prices, according to the consumer price index.

The Dow rose roughly 350 points Wednesday to close at 39,908, a gain of 0.9 percent. The S&P rose 1.2 percent and the Nasdaq climbed 1.4 percent.

The slowdown in price gains is welcome news to Wall Street after several months of higher-than-expected inflation. Federal Reserve officials had expected to cut interest rates as soon as this spring, according to projections released in December, but held off as both job gains and inflation came in hot.

If inflation continues to fall, the Fed could be inclined to cut interest rates and loosen its foot on the brake of the economy. Lower interest rates tend to stimulate the stock market as companies spend less money on debt costs and consumers have more money to spend."

https://thehill.com/business/4666442...-record-highs/
    The twenty plus percent extra that folks are having to pay for basics versus pre-pandemic?

That twenty plus percent is money that they will not have to invest in the market.

(If they were lucky enough to be able to invest in the market to start with...)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The twenty plus percent extra that folks are having to pay for basics versus pre-pandemic?

That twenty plus percent is money that they will not have to invest in the market.

No point in taking you seriously until you promote those reparations -- otherwise one might think you are inconsistent in your arguments.

Lower inflation, a strong job market, climate change and infrastructure bills, Trump on trial -- a real "left-wing" advocate would be celebrating those victories while focusing on addressing abortion, LGBT, and other civil rights.

It's clear that you want to find things to complain about even when Democrats are winning -- especially when they are winning.

You literally ignored the entire article pointing out -- with data -- that support for Trump was more due to racial resentment than any other factor -- including the economy.

Again -- you are the one ignoring what you don't want to see.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-17-2024 at 06:13 PM.

You literally ignored the entire article pointing out -- with data -- that support for Trump was more due to racial resentment than any other factor -- including the economy.

Again -- you are the one ignoring what you don't want to see.
    The numbers now versus the numbers then...

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics...roval-ratings/

Joe Biden’s approval ratings
    Americans’ ratings of Joe Biden’s job performance remain more negative than positive and have been largely stable over the last year: Today, 35% of Americans approve of his performance, while 62% disapprove.
    That is a noteworthy increase in "Disapprove..." numbers while things are supposedly getting better.

Could be concern over nothing.

Republicans have rarely done a better job when it comes to giving folks a reason not to support them.

That said?

There is only lo much a Democratic nominee can lose before concern is a sensible reaction.

(which is before you even get to the current state of things when it comes to Israel/Palestine... Another place where a loss of support/votes is not out of the question...)

Ultimate Member

The numbers now versus the numbers then...
    The "number" now is that Biden is the president, Republicans are losing elections and Trump is on trial.

Everything else that you are projecting is the product of your own personal discontent in the face of Democratic victory.

It's notable that you aren't quoting MLK when it comes to addressing Republican racism despite being shown that racial resentment is the majority of Trump's appeal.

Just one more example of trying to use black people only when you need them.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-17-2024 at 07:09 PM.

Ultimate Member

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King Jr.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-17-2024 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I think the moving to the center was much more because, back then, Democrats were still much more of a diverse party. Joe Manchin is an exception today, but remember Zel Miller? "Blue Dog" democrats would have stopped any version of the ACA to the left of what you got. I believe both of those presidents were too smart to believe they would get much out of Republicans.
    Both Clinton and Obama tried to move to the "center" to appease Republicans who obstructed them at every turn showing exactly what happens when you try to meet them in the "middle".

Conversely, Republicans have only gotten more extreme and authoritarian -- from Reagan to Bush to Trump -- and there is little middle ground to be found with an open bigot.

Republicans don't celebrate the diversity of ideas and freedom to choose within our nation -- they actively campaign against them with lies and fearmongering.

Clinton played into their nonsense and was impeached for his efforts while Obama's praise for Reagan and corporate America earned him nothing but a lost Supreme Court appointment and Trump as a replacement.

----

"Statement from President Joe Biden Marking International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia"

"On the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia, my Administration stands in support and solidarity with lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex (LGBTQI+) people around the world as they seek to live full lives, free from violence and discrimination. This is a matter of human rights, plain and simple. The United States applauds those individuals and groups worldwide working to defend the rights of LGBTQI+ people wherever they are under threat. And we are grateful for the contributions that LGBTQI+ people make every day across our nation.

From Day One of my presidency, my Administration has made advancing the human rights of LGBTQI+ people a priority. In my first month in office, I signed a Presidential Memorandum on Advancing the Human Rights of LGBTQI+ Persons Around the World, directing that our diplomacy and development work around the world be conducted in a manner that reflects our commitment to the equal human rights of this population. We have stood up against laws that target LGBTQI+ people for criminal prosecution; worked to protect LGBTQI+ refugees, who are especially vulnerable to exploitation and abuse; and launched a Strategy to Prevent and Respond to Gender-Based Violence Globally, to ensure that our efforts to confront the scourge of gender-based violence address the unique risks and barriers that LGBTQI+ people face. I also signed an Executive Order directing my Administration to work to prevent the use of so-called “conversion therapy” – an abusive and discredited practice that often targets children. And my Administration continues to engage with governments, faith leaders, families, and communities worldwide to protect and promote respect for human rights, including LGBTQI+ rights.

Efforts like these have yielded tangible results. During the past year, the United States has responded to abuses of LGBTQI+ people abroad. WeÂ’ve developed an approach to foreign assistance that ensures LGBTQI+ people arenÂ’t overlooked in our work. WeÂ’ve expanded access for LGBTQI+ people through our refugee programs. And the Special Envoy to Advance the Human Rights of LGBTQI+ Persons, whom I appointed, is driving rapid response to proposed anti-LGBTQI+ legislation around the world. WeÂ’ve seen how American leadership makes a difference; over the past decade, a growing number of nations have decriminalized same-sex conduct, often with the encouragement of the United States.

Yet we know there is much more to do. LGBTQI+ communities around the world still face hate-fueled violence and discrimination. They still struggle to attain equal access to healthcare, housing, employment, education, and justice. Like all human beings, LGBTQI+ people deserve equality – equal rights, equal citizenship, equal dignity. It is our shared moral responsibility to fight back against homophobia, biphobia, and transphobia, just as we must fight back against all hate-fueled violence, at home and abroad.

Today marks the 30th anniversary of when the World Health Organization made the wise and overdue decision to declassify ‘homosexuality’ as a mental disorder. That was a victory for LGBTQI+ people and human rights defenders everywhere. 30 years later, the work of equality continues. The Biden-Harris Administration is proud to be a part of it.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...-and-biphobia/
    Moving to the center to some extent has become necessary. Over the last three decades, Democrats have been struggling to maintain the spirit of cooperation necessary for the government to function while Republicans have become more hostile and obstructionist. One party has to keep the ideals of democracy alive. If both parties become hostile, divisive, and obstructionist democracy will be impossible to maintain. The result would be collapse.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 05-17-2024 at 07:22 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I never imagined The Young Turks would cover an OrdinaryGamers investigative piece he did. But they did and posted an update on the Keffels situation. (Its a big story recently on YouTube the past 2 weeks).
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

TYT grab onto transphobia again? I'm shocked.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quick, what was the price of coffee in 1960 and what was the median wage?

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Paedophile teacher groomed two pupils for sex.

Very disturbing story from Manchester. One of those rapes led to pregnancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    TYT grab onto transphobia again? I'm shocked.
    This one is about how they covered a story a couple years ago. And the error they made.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    This one is about how they covered a story a couple years ago. And the error they made.
    What did they say?

What did they say?
    Basically they admitted they fell for a Go Fund Me campaign that was done 2 years ago that they helped push by discussing it in a story. That this Go Fund Me didn’t go towards what was expected as they learned. (They call said person out in it)

They also promised to do a better job regarding these situations where people do these Go Fund Me’s moving forward.

Oh, it was about Keffels' GoFundMe? The one she started after being doxxed, stalked, and threatened by KiwiFarms, which assisted Mutahar in his 'investigation'? That GoFundMe?

Yeah, Kefels isn't exactly someone I like or consider a good person, but a lot of the focus on them still comes from the KiwiFarms bullshit.

Oh, it was about Keffels' GoFundMe? The one she started after being doxxed, stalked, and threatened by KiwiFarms, which assisted Mutahar in his 'investigation'? That GoFundMe?

Yeah, Kefels isn't exactly someone I like or consider a good person, but a lot of the focus on them still comes from the KiwiFarms bullshit.
    Well a lot coming out was when it got set up , how it went and more. It surprised me that a news site would credit a YouTuber. But a lot came from the live streams shown.

Edit and it appears that there was another site doxxing Keffels.