Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

I would say that being a member of that particular X-FACTOR ensemble would be beneath Queen Madelyne. But the takeaway from DARK X-MEN was that Maddie isn't the born leader that Jean is, no? I think they might reserve her for bigger roles on the playing field, if even not as a regular cast member anywhere.
    Or she's dead again.
    Even money.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member

I figure Maddy to be on a team it would be the same way Maddy was introduced in Hellions, she had more appearances than any character besides the regular cast member. Introduced as a secondary character that eventually becomes a primary character. There is a lot of time a character or two on the original solicit don't even make it to issue #3. So we shall see. My hopes spring eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Thievery Maddy does move those alt covers dude, I wouldn't be surprised. Question, is the archangel version your favorite version of Warren? I have liked some of his previous costumes but I felt the razor wings made him a serious character. Tons of mutants can fly, probably not was well as Warren but if that is all you are bringing to the table you aren't bringing much. I liked Mutant X but I realized the Fallen version of Warren with the vampire bat wings wasn't for me as cool as the Death of the Horsemen wings. A team of Alex, Maddy and Warren would give really cool Mutant X vibes and hopefully pave the way for a "Scotty" Summers appearance down the line. While I want Maddy to have a strong relationship with Cable and with Stryfe, it would be interesting to see her reaction to the opportunity to help raise a child, not her own but an alternate universe child of Alex and Maddy. I always thought it would be cool for Sinister to be a main foe of X-Factor because while he longed for a child of Scott and "Jean" he lives in fear of a child of Alex and "Jean" maybe two wild strands being uncontrollable/unpredictable. He made her to hook up with Scott but will try all he can to keep her away from Alex because their kids might ruin his plans for mutantdom down the line. It might make "Scotty" a target too. Though not as important as time with Cable, Stryfe, Alex or Scotty I wouldn't mind her crossing paths with Nate Grey. I need to know if X-Man was the real Maddy or not.
    Sorry for late response. I haven't been able to be online much.

Yes, the metal winged Archangel form is my favorite version of the character. I don't remember the first comic that I saw the character in, it would have been a back issue at the time. I just liked his design. And I personally prefer the version of Archangel that remains in the metal winged form, not the one that switches back and forth between feathered and metal. I don't think Warren would have become my favorite character if he had just had the feathered wings. As you said, he really wouldn't have stood out very much compared to other characters with just feathered wings. Actually, Angel probably wouldn't have gotten a chance to stand out if all that he had were the feathered wings. A lot of writers aren't fond of feather winged version of the character, he's usually only used when he has the metal wings.

I haven't read all of Mutant X. It kind of went off of the rails towards the middle and later issues, in my opinion. Havok and Maddie were worth reading about in the comic, though.
    But, I did like the comic, and I did like Angel's bat wings. If Angel has to have a split personality and change back and forth between feather/metal wings, it might make for a temporary switch to see him change back and forth between feather and bat wings.

I don't think that Sinister will be appearing much in the FtA era right away. He was pretty heavily used in Krakoa, so the writers may want to give the character a break.
    Which I think could be good for Maddie.
    I think that she could do for some good stories that don't involve Sinister or even Cable. Give the character a chance to do something new, like run Limbo. Maybe set up a rivalry with someone else. Trying to come up with a villain off the top of my head, and cant, though
    Still prefer for Havok to be around with her, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Well it looks like Cecilia Reyes was the last
    Member of the team, not Maddie.
    Really? Where did you see that? I'm a bit behind on this forum.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    Sorry for late response. I haven't been able to be online much.

Yes, the metal winged Archangel form is my favorite version of the character. I don't remember the first comic that I saw the character in, it would have been a back issue at the time. I just liked his design. And I personally prefer the version of Archangel that remains in the metal winged form, not the one that switches back and forth between feathered and metal. I don't think Warren would have become my favorite character if he had just had the feathered wings. As you said, he really wouldn't have stood out very much compared to other characters with just feathered wings. Actually, Angel probably wouldn't have gotten a chance to stand out if all that he had were the feathered wings. A lot of writers aren't fond of feather winged version of the character, he's usually only used when he has the metal wings.

I haven't read all of Mutant X. It kind of went off of the rails towards the middle and later issues, in my opinion. Havok and Maddie were worth reading about in the comic, though.
    But, I did like the comic, and I did like Angel's bat wings. If Angel has to have a split personality and change back and forth between feather/metal wings, it might make for a temporary switch to see him change back and forth between feather and bat wings.

I don't think that Sinister will be appearing much in the FtA era right away. He was pretty heavily used in Krakoa, so the writers may want to give the character a break.
    Which I think could be good for Maddie.
    I think that she could do for some good stories that don't involve Sinister or even Cable. Give the character a chance to do something new, like run Limbo. Maybe set up a rivalry with someone else. Trying to come up with a villain off the top of my head, and cant, though
    Still prefer for Havok to be around with her, though.

Really? Where did you see that? I'm a bit behind on this forum.
    From the variant covers of X-Factor #1 with the artist’s post.
    Cecilia and a new character name Xyber are the final members.

Astonishing Member

Maybe for the initial story arc but these days I wouldn't be surprised if one of the original team members didn't survive the first arc. I aws going to say Alpha Flight on speed, took them 12 issues to do it but tbh in canon it was the new Uncanny X-Men lost a team member on the first mission. Warren didn't really survive and Alex barely survived the first issue of Dark X-Men, but were still used to boost orders on the book before it came out. If the book survives to issue #7 I have no doubt that the membership might be different. Writers want their new characters to get over so I fear for Pyro. Until a Maddy related project is announced I think X-Factor is the most likely place that we will get regular appearances by the Goblin Majecty Madelyne Pryor. However someone else noted Sinister needs a rest, I woudn't want him for an antagonist until Maddy is officially on the team and maybe at first from the shadows. So no rush there however Maddy does need some interaction with Cable she has almost destroyed the planet twice over her son, so not that she is saner and can just reach out, that needs to happen. She also needs to try her best to bring Stryfe to the side of the angels. If anybody understands the downside of being a clone it is her, and she should see Stryfe as just as "real" as she is. Stryfe might initially use that against her but that makes for good drama.
    Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 05-17-2024 at 08:32 AM.

Astonishing Member

Storylines/beats I want for Maddy now:
    1) Give her more agency as she strives to show she is her own person. The X-Family to think of Maddy as Maddy and not in relation to Jean.
    2) Expand deepen her relationship with her kids (Cable and Stryfe)
    3) Expand and deepen her relationship with Alex in a healthy way. In Inferno it started well but spiraled do to Sinister and Demon issues. Then post resurrection maybe Alex recognized Maddy's need to be recognized and let Maddy be the boss of him and everything else to improve her agency but now that time has passed and they can get to a more healthy balanced relationship.
    4) Minimal interaction with Scott or Jean. No pining over or hatiing on Scott just being done with him. No hating on Jean but they don't need to be bosom buddies either. I see Maddy avoiding being around Jean to eliminate the need for the doubtless comparisons that she would feel she would come up short in except when it comes to Alex.
    5) Give her more nuance Maddy had levels in the Outback era up until Inferno (X-Factor Issues not withstanding) She has been kinda flat one note since her resurrection. Wanting to prove she was real in Hellions and a trace of resentment. Desperate to reclaim something she felt was stolen in Dark Web, proving she could lead her own team and nation in Dark X-Men. In the Outback era, Maddy had levels and complexity. I want that back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I really like Maddie, and I enjoy reading Havok/Maddie stories, but I'm not entirely sure ho Maddie fits the X-Factor comic. X-Factor is meant to be a comic about the mutants who could be marketed as celebrities.
    Maddie is a demon queen who attacked New York with demons twice now. I can't see the public liking her.
    But, the again, it should be hard for the government to use Alex as a celebrity hero, considering all of the times that he has turned villain. Especially the times that he joined Maddie.
    So who knows, I guess.
    Freudian slip?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Freudian slip?
    LOL is there any other kind of Maddie?

Astonishing Member

So I just finished watching X-men '97, which was my first real exposure to the character of Madelyne Pryor I think. I think I've read a couple of stray Claremont-era issues with her (from before she married Scott) and I've read a lot about her online, but I've never really been too familiar with the character in her own right (and I've even been an advocate of having adaptations streamline Cable's origins and just make him Jean's son from the future).

Now obviously the show has a very different take on the Madelyne Pryor story, but it definitely made me care about her as a character, particularly the pathos of her situation and the brave effort to rise again (like a pheonix) and make a new life for herself just before its cruelly snatched away.

But what impressed me most about the show's approach is how it made the situation a whole lot more redeemable for Scott. Instead of basically becoming a deadbeat dad who abandons his wife and child simply because his first love came back from the dead, Scott becomes a man literally torn between his loyalty to the woman he thought is his wife and who definitely is the mother of his child, and his actual wife who may well be a stranger to him now, and vice versa. Hell, because of the confusion around when Jean was switched for Maddie, its entirely possible that Scott was technically married to Maddie all along, and the original Jean is thus the 'other woman'! Scott having a psychic affair with Maddie on the show also becomes a lot more forgivable (or at any rate understandable) than his psychic affair with Emma in the comics.

Of course, Beau DeMayo and co. have the advantage of hindsight. Knowing how the Jean/Scott/Maddie story turned out eventually, they were able to rearrange the pieces in a way that formed a cohesive narrative over the course of a couple of episodes (as opposed to years of comics which kept changing direction). So instead of being this independent character who coincidentially happened to be the splitting image of Jean and was later retconned to be her clone, Madelyne becomes someone who starts out as a Jean clone literally impersonating her and then ends up discovering the truth and becoming her own person. I dunno...it feels to me like this gives her a little more agency as an independent character than what the comics did to her.

I always hated the MP character until the Krakoan era.

I still hate that she’s a clone of Jean and looks just like her. Why not have Masque give her a new face and Lucy give her a new hair color? Then maybe she will no longer be Jean Lite.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    So I just finished watching X-men '97, which was my first real exposure to the character of Madelyne Pryor I think. I think I've read a couple of stray Claremont-era issues with her (from before she married Scott) and I've read a lot about her online, but I've never really been too familiar with the character in her own right (and I've even been an advocate of having adaptations streamline Cable's origins and just make him Jean's son from the future).

Now obviously the show has a very different take on the Madelyne Pryor story, but it definitely made me care about her as a character, particularly the pathos of her situation and the brave effort to rise again (like a pheonix) and make a new life for herself just before its cruelly snatched away.

But what impressed me most about the show's approach is how it made the situation a whole lot more redeemable for Scott. Instead of basically becoming a deadbeat dad who abandons his wife and child simply because his first love came back from the dead, Scott becomes a man literally torn between his loyalty to the woman he thought is his wife and who definitely is the mother of his child, and his actual wife who may well be a stranger to him now, and vice versa. Hell, because of the confusion around when Jean was switched for Maddie, its entirely possible that Scott was technically married to Maddie all along, and the original Jean is thus the 'other woman'! Scott having a psychic affair with Maddie on the show also becomes a lot more forgivable (or at any rate understandable) than his psychic affair with Emma in the comics.

Of course, Beau DeMayo and co. have the advantage of hindsight. Knowing how the Jean/Scott/Maddie story turned out eventually, they were able to rearrange the pieces in a way that formed a cohesive narrative over the course of a couple of episodes (as opposed to years of comics which kept changing direction). So instead of being this independent character who coincidentially happened to be the splitting image of Jean and was later retconned to be her clone, Madelyne becomes someone who starts out as a Jean clone literally impersonating her and then ends up discovering the truth and becoming her own person. I dunno...it feels to me like this gives her a little more agency as an independent character than what the comics did to her.
    In a lot of ways, X-Men '97 has done more justice to the characters overall than the comics have, though that's helped by, as you've pointed out, the showrunner and producers having the benefit of looking back on all those decades of stories and sifting what worked from what didn't. And yeah, that they even managed to somewhat humanize Bastion, despite everything he was and had done . . . that was a very nice touch, too, I thought.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I always hated the MP character until the Krakoan era.

I still hate that she’s a clone of Jean and looks just like her. Why not have Masque give her a new face and Lucy give her a new hair color? Then maybe she will no longer be Jean Lite.
    Why? Thats her face and thats her hair color. She shouldnt have to change anything about her. Who would really benefit from that? Certainly no Maddie

“Why should I change? He’s the one that sucks.” -Michael Bolton
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Freudian slip?
    lol, no.
    Maybe if I said ho Alex, thou.
    Just kidding Havok fans. I like the character.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I would say that being a member of that particular X-FACTOR ensemble would be beneath Queen Madelyne. But the takeaway from DARK X-MEN was that Maddie isn't the born leader that Jean is, no? I think they might reserve her for bigger roles on the playing field, if even not as a regular cast member anywhere.
    Or she's dead again.
    Even money.
    If/when we get GQ back I hope she is still queen of limbo. I wouldn't mind her being a reacuring character that isn't a member of the team though... imagine the Jean/Phoenix haveing scott as a 'phone call love intrest' but having alex GET the telepathic 'phone call' from maddy every few issues and show up for down time things.

hell if this is really about govement using mutants, remember she is the head of an embassy.
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Sometimes it feels like off panel Hope channeling the PF, Wanda, Doc Strange and Galactus all did a ritual with the infinity gems and the incantations was "NO MORE CHARACTER GROWTH!"