Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    I must've missed something, where was this stated?
    Brevoort said in interview(s?) that he looked specifically for a black writer for Storm's book because he wanted a minority voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Brevoort said in interview(s?) that he looked specifically for a black writer for Storm's book because he wanted a minority voice.
    Ahh, ok. Thank you for the clarification.
    "I AM A GODDESS OF LIFE AS WELL AS OF STORMS. IF IT IS WITHIN MY POWER TO SAVE YOU -- I SHALL." - ORORO MUNROE

Incredible Member

STORM (2024) is going to be a saga. Each issue gradually reveals the intricate tapestry we have planned. One of these issues is titled 'SICK DAY' while another is titled 'OBLIVION WAITS... NO LONGER'. The stark difference shows the holistic approach we are taking with this series. It's intimate yet cosmic. It's contemporary yet mythic. It's wholesome yet adult. It's deeply emotional yet brutishly violent. I've tagged this series 'THE LABORS OF STORM', and if I'm going to tag it something else, it'll have to be 'THE ETERNAL STORM SAGA'. Earth has a new omega-level protector, mutants have a powerful queen watching over them, but the challenges ahead are well BEYOND OMEGA -- dangerous and heart-wrenching."
    Give Coates a Storm solo

Astonishing Member

Sounds like a lot of buzzwords.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    I must've missed something, where was this stated?
    It comes from the idea that only a black writer can give a black character a TRUE black voice.

I as a black person do NOT support this. I want the best dang writer. Because you are going to keep seeing what we have seen over the past 70 years-black writers get passed over on non-black books.

We got too many examples of black characters in the hands of black writers (and folks) who butchered them and that is not just pointing out the last 8 years of Black Panther. New 52 Static Shock and DCYou Cyborg are others.

Milestone books everyone wants to rave about from the 90s-while McDuffie was the head editor-aside from Icon and Hardware-every other book had writers of different races.

Sometime you have to hire the best person.

Storm's writer wrote Ironman mini. He (or she) wouldn't have gotten that shot if black only black lead books was followed.

I don't see the point in getting upset. Storm has predominantly been written by white men. I don't think giving a few black writers a chance is bad. This is what, maybe only the 4th or 5th time a black person has written Storm in her 50 year history is it not? We'll see soon if it was the right choice.
    Last edited by Saturius; 05-17-2024 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    I don't see the point in getting upset. Storm has predominantly been written by white men. I don't think giving a few black writers a chance is bad. This is what, maybe only the 4th or 5th time a black person has written Storm in her 50 year history is it not? We'll see soon if it was the right choice.
    The fact that you even need to say that is crazy. I could see if all past trash Storm solos were writen by minorities but that's not the case. There's plenty trash writers in every color... I hope they atleast researched the writers past works before taking this discussion to hell.
    Last edited by The Regent; 05-17-2024 at 07:42 PM.

Spectacular Member Galen Nycroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It comes from the idea that only a black writer can give a black character a TRUE black voice.
    This is where I have a problem actually. When it comes to mutants, they shouldn't have any other voice than mutant. Any other coincidental facet of her being should not take away from that. Could a black writer give a better voice to a black character than a white writer? Maybe, depending on what kind of story is being told.

And as far as "hiring the best person for the job", you can get both. You can get a diverse creator who actually knows the X-Men, and the history, the source material, and who is a competent superhero comic writer. Marvel just never hires them. I could be wrong, but I think the upcoming "From the Ashes" era will be the first time the X-Men has three black writers at the same time on their own books.

By November of 2024 we will find out if this was successful.

I know it's been a while but I've realized I didn't say it before: I love her new design. As others have said it feels like a mix of both her first Hellfire gala look, her previous/current X-Men Red costume, AND the classic original one. I think it's a perfect update because it feels a bit more traditionally superheroic than the Red one and less "punk storm" vibes, while keeping the more cool modern feeling of it. The side-swept on the hair is also a perfect way to evoke the current hairstyle by the way one side looks almost like in a side-shave, while being less evocative of the mohawk. And the neckpiece of course adds a touch of regalness.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    wait who is upset about this???

edit I just read... and smh. I didn't hear anyone having issue with Greg Pak weiting Storm, or all the white people who have written storm. but can't say I'm shocked. maybe, just maybe, breevort wanted a good writer who also happened to be black. it's not that hard.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 05-17-2024 at 10:14 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Nycroft View Post
    This is where I have a problem actually. When it comes to mutants, they shouldn't have any other voice than mutant. Any other coincidental facet of her being should not take away from that. Could a black writer give a better voice to a black character than a white writer? Maybe, depending on what kind of story is being told.

And as far as "hiring the best person for the job", you can get both. You can get a diverse creator who actually knows the X-Men, and the history, the source material, and who is a competent superhero comic writer. Marvel just never hires them. I could be wrong, but I think the upcoming "From the Ashes" era will be the first time the X-Men has three black writers at the same time on their own books.

By November of 2024 we will find out if this was successful.
    storm isn't just a mutant though. and she never has been.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Question: does she have any particular connection to Atlanta? It seems a bit random to me. It would have felt fresher if she was based in Egypt or Kenya.
    I hate when the plot is: “mutants have split across the globe”, but then everyone shown is still in the US lol.
    Why would any writer do that when the x office didn't bother connecting her to any real Kenyan cultures/ethnic groups of her origins, with the closest being obviously based on the maasai in everything but name.
    Writers are so lazy when it comes to Africa, Kenyan cultures aren't even that obscure, Nairobi, Mombasa and Cairo are all well known cities.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taurean Sun View Post
    You are absolutely right. But it seemed aside ewing nobody in the xoffice will touch on the fact that storm has a family and lineage that extends beyond being a mutant. It's literally a BIG part of her that has been ignored for soo long till stephanie William's and Ewing touched on it. An African writer is more than likely to emphasize these aspects of her whilst also engaging her mutant status. Because she is a mutant and she is a goddess those things are true at once. Her family line literally produced the very first human sorcerer supreme and shaped civilisations with their power (political, divine and mystical) and influence yet all we hear about her is how she ruled the morlocks, can make it cloudy and windy sometimes and is assistant leader ti the xmen. There is more to her as a charchter than this. And it seems aside Al ewing only African and black writers in general get that.
    The irony is that if an African writer had made Storm a Kenyan character who grew up in Egypt, they wouldn't have leaned into African princess/royalty but rather tied her to an actual ethnic group in Kenya and the stigma that comes with being a black African immigrant/refugee in Egypt.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I know it's been a while but I've realized I didn't say it before: I love her new design. As others have said it feels like a mix of both her first Hellfire gala look, her previous/current X-Men Red costume, AND the classic original one. I think it's a perfect update because it feels a bit more traditionally superheroic than the Red one and less "punk storm" vibes, while keeping the more cool modern feeling of it. The side-swept on the hair is also a perfect way to evoke the current hairstyle by the way one side looks almost like in a side-shave, while being less evocative of the mohawk. And the neckpiece of course adds a touch of regalness.
    Agreed on all counts. It's clear to me a lot of thought went into designing Ororo's new look - and frankly, I wouldn't expect anything less from Lucas Werneck.

Quote Originally Posted by BPStorm2 View Post
    STORM (2024) is going to be a saga. Each issue gradually reveals the intricate tapestry we have planned. One of these issues is titled 'SICK DAY' while another is titled 'OBLIVION WAITS... NO LONGER'. The stark difference shows the holistic approach we are taking with this series. It's intimate yet cosmic. It's contemporary yet mythic. It's wholesome yet adult. It's deeply emotional yet brutishly violent. I've tagged this series 'THE LABORS OF STORM', and if I'm going to tag it something else, it'll have to be 'THE ETERNAL STORM SAGA'. Earth has a new omega-level protector, mutants have a powerful queen watching over them, but the challenges ahead are well BEYOND OMEGA -- dangerous and heart-wrenching."
    I know what he's going for, and I'm sure the book will be multifaceted in those ways. But the way this is phrased makes me think of "It's catchy, offensive, brutal and gross, but with youth appeal."
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.