Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Hell yeahh, he was so hard. His characterization actually made me care about Apoc for the very first time and then in X of Swords it cemented it for me.
    Agreed. It's the most interesting he's ever been. I also liked his mentor/father figure relationship with Rictor.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Alot of posters on here have the opinion thay the era was great. I respectfully disagree. I have been collecting on and off for years since 1995. And have back read every thing i could find. I even resd but not bought all of Krakoa era. And thr overall premise didnt hype me. Plus the chages to people like Moria,Sinister,Apocalypse trying it all to one thing like the Dominion or Arakko Genesis and with Moria her being a Mutant out if nowhere. Soured me as a fan IMO. There was good books within like Hellions for example. But I didn't like them using Krakoa ad a base it reminded me that they acted like the brotherhood or Magneto did on Genoaha. Or Scott's Utopia. Not a fan of most of the era. Looking forward to From the Ashes
    X-Men Forever

Mighty Member

The reason why I loved arakko so much is that it was a mutant society that wasn't trying to gain acceptance from baseline humans. They didn't care about integration or trying to work with anyone save themselves because that was all they had. They wanted to heal from their trauma unlike say krakoa which always felt a bit escapist. The reason I liked krakoa was because it gave mutants a break from having to deal with the constant trauma of racism. They could be fully human without the baggage of everyday bigots. The way it was approached was childish and poorly done in some respects but that's what happens when half your leaders are villains. Building a nation is crazy challenging and it would have been nice to see how everyday krakoans lived.
    Last edited by OG Storm; 05-11-2024 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Alot of posters on here have the opinion thay the era was great. I respectfully disagree. I have been collecting on and off for years since 1995. And have back read every thing i could find. I even resd but not bought all of Krakoa era. And thr overall premise didnt hype me. Plus the chages to people like Moria,Sinister,Apocalypse trying it all to one thing like the Dominion or Arakko Genesis and with Moria her being a Mutant out if nowhere. Soured me as a fan IMO. There was good books within like Hellions for example. But I didn't like them using Krakoa ad a base it reminded me that they acted like the brotherhood or Magneto did on Genoaha. Or Scott's Utopia. Not a fan of most of the era. Looking forward to From the Ashes
    Well the OP asked, "On that note what were your greatest memories from this tenure?" so it tracks that posters in this thread are speaking favorably of the era. LOL
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OG Storm View Post
    The reason why I loved arakko so much is that it was a mutant society that wasn't trying to gain acceptance from baseline humans. They didn't care about integration or trying to work with anyone save themselves because that was all they had. They wanted to heal from their trauma unlike say krakoa which always felt a bit escapist. The reason I liked krakoa was because it gave mutants a break from having to deal with the constant trauma of racism. They could be fully human without the baggage of everyday bigots. The way it was approached was childish and poorly done in some respects but that's what happens when half your leaders are villains. Building a nation is crazy challenging and it would have been nice to see how everyday krakoans lived.
    That's why I loved having them both, Arrako gave us a glimpse of Mutantdom that didn't care about flatscans at all and made a culture san humanity and Krakoa was a nation that tried to work with humans as best as possible and even formed a government based on human governments.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Well the OP asked, "On that note what were your greatest memories from this tenure?" so it tracks that posters in this thread are speaking favorably of the era. LOL
    Thanks JB, exactly there a hundreds of posts here to complain about Hickman's X-Men eXperiment but I want this thread to be about what made it great for us and what brought us back to corporate superhero comic books.

I honestly believe this is one era will go down in history as one of the best even with the botched ending.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Opps my bad your right sorry
    X-Men Forever

Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

1. X-Factor and Marauders featuring several queer characters.

2. Kwannon's and Betsy's "reconciliation" arc ("It just simply is.") in Fallen Angels #5 and in Excalibur #16-#20.

3. The Arakii! Such a well-written lore and amazing characters with intriguing powersets.

4. Storm's ascension. She really won this era.

5. Resurrection of underrated/neglected/wasn't given enough chances to shine mutants (Psi Division, Lourdes Chantel, Petra, Sway, Aero, Wind Dancer, etc.). In general I like how some issues in this era highlighted lesser-known mutants and gave them a moment.

I really have to hand it to the writers of this era because we got to see the X-Men go in so many new directions. So bummed it's ending, but it was a great run.

I reread the first issue of S.W.O.R.D. earlier tonight, and it really encapsulates everything I loved about Krakoa.

-Characters long missing/dead are back
    -Mutants are using their powers in new and interesting combinations
    -A big dose of sci-fi and advanced tech
    -The feeling that they're pushing further than ever before and the sky is the limit
    -Gorgeous art

The only downside is that I'm now sad again that it's ending.

I was going back through my books and just realized I fell in love with those old ladies Horde Culture.
    Hickman was right!!!!!!! Long live Krakoa

Im Gonna miss Krakoa.

It was the best time to be a X-FAN in years.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    For me my greatest memory was that it made me feel like a kid back in the 90's picking up Lee's X-Men #1 and how exciting that was, not knowing what will happen next.
    Not to be too pessimistic, but I don't think we will get something at this level again for a long time.
    My favorite arc was the Nimrod being "born" saga and how much it involved Mystique and Destiny.

What about y'all?
    I agree, I was only slightly picking up marvel, and even then it was only the cyclops/wolverine Uncanny. The idea of HoX/PoX brought me really back...not just picking up all of the X titles but doc strange some spiderman and avengers. Leaving Kroaka behind has me VERY upset.

I don't want the K of what we got to stay unchanged, but I think we need a safe mutant homeland. I think we need a safeish place not run by heroes and/or villains... and so far I can't find a story in "from the ashes" that could not have been told while keeping a more demecratic QC and kroakoa around... keep the X titles mostly off it in the real world but when you cycle characters out give them some down time there.
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Sometimes it feels like off panel Hope channeling the PF, Wanda, Doc Strange and Galactus all did a ritual with the infinity gems and the incantations was "NO MORE CHARACTER GROWTH!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Houseofhick View Post
    I can't believe the many lives of Moira X weren't fleshed out a bit more. After watching X-Men 97 I think it would of been interesting to see the Krakoa era do it's own take on classic stories.
    those lives could each have a 12 -15 issue sereies about them
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Sometimes it feels like off panel Hope channeling the PF, Wanda, Doc Strange and Galactus all did a ritual with the infinity gems and the incantations was "NO MORE CHARACTER GROWTH!"

Those lives could extend the reach of this era at least 2 o 3 years.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

It's ending weaker than it started but overall id say this was a good era. I am excited for the next one.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    I reread the first issue of S.W.O.R.D. earlier tonight, and it really encapsulates everything I loved about Krakoa.

-Characters long missing/dead are back
    -Mutants are using their powers in new and interesting combinations
    -A big dose of sci-fi and advanced tech
    -The feeling that they're pushing further than ever before and the sky is the limit
    -Gorgeous art

The only downside is that I'm now sad again that it's ending.
    Man, SWORD was such a treat, but then again anything by Al is a treat.