Page 93 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1478
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That is definitely the Johns Legion.

Whether this is bringing them back and replacing the Bendis Legion...who knows. There's no big Legion plans so I don't think DC really cares at this point.
    Depends on the JSA stuff we'll be getting after this.

We did get a Flash and Green Lantern mini that includes Johns additions (Judy and Red Lantern) so that indicates a level of investment in his works though those books must have been planned a while before he was announced to leave. So it will depend if they'll at least keep the changes he made after this.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It would be cool to see a few more alien looking members.

Like most characters/teams created in the Golden or Silver Age most of the members are white. At least there’s Dawnstar, Karate Kid (half Japanese), and Tyroc has played a much bigger role in the last decade.

Personally I’m much more in favor of creating and promoting new POC characters and not just changing a character’s ethnicity.
    Personally the skin color is the last thing I care about a character so changing white to POC (because the other way is problematic) is not something I could care less about. The problem with the legion is that it has so many members and they stand as an allegory for racism and xenophobia, but when "everybody" are white "human" aliens it just doesn't work. Of course I would like POC characters to get more attention, but new characters doesn't take off, and with the million of Legion members it becomes even harder.

Extraordinary Member

Curious to see how Jo's ultra speed would compare to Jay's.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skytten View Post
    Personally the skin color is the last thing I care about a character so changing white to POC (because the other way is problematic) is not something I could care less about. The problem with the legion is that it has so many members and they stand as an allegory for racism and xenophobia, but when "everybody" are white "human" aliens it just doesn't work. Of course I would like POC characters to get more attention, but new characters doesn't take off, and with the million of Legion members it becomes even harder.
    You don't need them if you use who is already there.

Where is Jasmine and Jamal Cullen at? Invisible Kids 2?

NOTHING says you can NOT have the great great grandchildren of say Duke, John Stewart, Jefferson or even Cyborg exist.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You don't need them if you use who is already there.

Where is Jasmine and Jamal Cullen at? Invisible Kids 2?

NOTHING says you can NOT have the great great grandchildren of say Duke, John Stewart, Jefferson or even Cyborg exist.
    But they don't which is the problem.

But they don't which is the problem.
    It doesn't help that Bendis' run was more focused on highlighting the characters he created than using any existing Legionaries.

Man really wanted to make Gold Lantern a thing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    It doesn't help that Bendis' run was more focused on highlighting the characters he created than using any existing Legionaries.

Man really wanted to make Gold Lantern a thing.
    Yeah, Gold Lantern is a new POC character that got attention and focus which is good. However when it is a big team such as the Legion who have struggled for the last two decades a reboot should prioritize establishing the team and their world before focusing so much on new characters.

I'm probably the only one, but I'm sad about them all going back to white "human" aliens.
    The true problem is that writers don’t showcase the many Legionnaires of color and don’t put effort in crating new ones. Even Bendis ignored most of the existing ones in favor of race bending others. He took the easy way out which is basically to recolor everyone without doing anything to make the changes actually mean something to the characters/readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That is definitely the Johns Legion.

Whether this is bringing them back and replacing the Bendis Legion...who knows. There's no big Legion plans so I don't think DC really cares at this point.
    Yeah. Everything Johns has been doing seems to fit within his own New Golden Age bubble. Titles outside of it have rarely acknowledged his books even when they shared characters (i.e. PG’s conflicting name/backstory).
    Other writers like Williamson continue to showcase Bendis’ version, so we have no guarantee that the Johns version is the one who will continue going forward. Especially since he’s on his way out anyway.
    I would prefer Johns’s JSA to Bendis’s but I don’t want to get my hopes up.

Yeah, Gold Lantern is a new POC character that got attention and focus which is good. However when it is a big team such as the Legion who have struggled for the last two decades a reboot should prioritize establishing the team and their world before focusing so much on new characters.
    They were all new characters at that point, so why not Gold Lantern? And he did it in the JL/LSH mini, so it wasn't like he took time in the main series to do it. But of course he still spent plenty of time developing Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad and Ultra Boy first (along with Jon) The problem for me was that he totally ignored a lot of the other characters and just focused on a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yeah. Everything Johns has been doing seems to fit within his own New Golden Age bubble. Titles outside of it have rarely acknowledged his books even when they shared characters (i.e. PG’s conflicting name/backstory).
    Other writers like Williamson continue to showcase Bendis’ version, so we have no guarantee that the Johns version is the one who will continue going forward. Especially since he’s on his way out anyway.
    I would prefer Johns’s JSA to Bendis’s but I don’t want to get my hopes up.
    At least on the Williamson angle his Legion was basically handled like the standard Legion so the designs didn't really matter in my opinion.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    They were all new characters at that point, so why not Gold Lantern? And he did it in the JL/LSH mini, so it wasn't like he took time in the main series to do it. But of course he still spent plenty of time developing Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad and Ultra Boy first (along with Jon) The problem for me was that he totally ignored a lot of the other characters and just focused on a few.
    As they all were after a reboot. It's natural that only some characters get some spotlight in some stories. His run only lasted 12 issues. He doesn't have time to focus on that many characters, but that would probably have changed if it lasted longer. The series was not great though, but that had nothing to do with race change.
    The problem with the Legion is that "everybody" wants the reboots to include all the members, but with that many characters it unfortunately means only a few at a time gets the focus and with the little popularity the team has now it means few issues of a series and few characters to get focused on.
    But yes Bendis even though they race bended characters still could have included the already POC characters no doubt.

Astonishing Member

Is the 4 legions thing still on?

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Is the 4 legions thing still on?
    Jhons said that there are some spin offs books after JSA12 as the team goes global.. but right now.. who we can trust..

Quote Originally Posted by Dougbauer View Post
    Jhons said that there are some spin offs books after JSA12 as the team goes global.. but right now.. who we can trust..
    We did get a Jay book, an Alan book, and a Sandman book so that is believable at the very least.