Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Maybe so, but the Marvel TV shows, with rare exception, have been pretty mediocre and bland, so I can't fathom it would have been as good as the comics were at times. They managed to make Moon Knight boring as hell, so I doubt they'd have sold anyone on the Eternals.
    Maybe. I would just be assuming they'd draw more from the comics version than they actually did in the movie.

We were denied comic Sersi...

Comments from the producer:

"I mean, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man is amazing, to say the least," Winderbaum says. "I think it's really going to surprise people. It is very much like a cut from that Steve Ditko era of the comics. It's Peter Parker back in high school just trying to make it work, take care of his aunt, completely broke, and having to be a superhero. It's so essentially Spider-Man, and what Jeff Trammell, the creator of that show, did, which I think people are going to love, is he built this ensemble of characters around Peter that you fall in love with. Similarly, just because it's long-form storytelling, as those relationships brew when the stakes rise in that first season, things feel really tragic and dangerous, and pretty incredible. So, I love that show."

I really just have no interest in more High School Spider-Man. It'll be cool if the show is good and I sincerely hope it is, but that unfortunately won't change the fact that I'm tired of the setting.

Not to mention that I don't like how a good percentage of the supporting cast are other superheroes again. Don't get me wrong, I like Nico Minoru and Amadaus Cho...but I don't want them in my Spider-Man show.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    I really just have no interest in more High School Spider-Man. It'll be cool if the show is good and I sincerely hope it is, but that unfortunately won't change the fact that I'm tired of the setting.

Not to mention that I don't like how a good percentage of the supporting cast are other superheroes again. Don't get me wrong, I like Nico Minoru and Amadaus Cho...but I don't want them in my Spider-Man show.
    Yeah, I don't get why they keep putting Peter in high school and hanging out with other Superheroes instead of people he actually hangs out with.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I don't get why they keep putting Peter in high school and hanging out with other Superheroes instead of people he actually hangs out with.
    It gives me the impression that they don't think Peter's supporting cast is strong enough, and that really sucks if that's the case.

It gives me the impression that they don't think Peter's supporting cast is strong enough, and that really sucks if that's the case.
    It's like Peter can't hang out with normal people any more .

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Oh this is still happening...boring i am tired of seeing Peter in zhigh School. I kniw its MCU which Meh. Im not interested.
    X-Men Forever

I do like the idea of long-form storytelling with Peter in high school (it would be fine in college.)

It's a series that could work. It's a shame that they've tried it quite a few times, and the results vary so much.

There are two main problems with earlier series. Some of these are too childish to appeal to a wider audience. Kids obviously like the PG-13 movies, so there's no reason for tamer TV shows.

The other is weird studio requirements, like the stuff that can't be shown in the 90s cartoon or the MTV series putting limits on older characters.

This could end up being good, but it seems to me the obvious move is how to continue Spectacular.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

It's like Peter can't hang out with normal people any more .
    Even weirder I don’t get why it’s not Ned and MJ. Yeah I get it’s not matching the movies anymore but they decided to ditch those two as well lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This could end up being good, but it seems to me the obvious move is how to continue Spectacular.
    That will not happen. (Disney would have to pay Sony to make more and why would they do that when they can just make their own series?)

Extraordinary Member

I personally suspect it’s likely a belief that “boys” who watch the show would find “high school soap opera drama” boring, but that a formulaic “...And now this particular background character gets their powers or go to on their own costumed adventure!” will delight them.

I think Spectacular Spider-Man was the only major modern cartoon to realize that just a little bit of humor and basic competence in relationship writing could make the regular kids interesting too.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    That will not happen. (Disney would have to pay Sony to make more and why would they do that when they can just make their own series?)
    Yeah, if any old one gets revived it'd be Spider-Man 1994. Helps that it's set in the same world as X-Men 1992, which already got a revival as X-Men 97 this year.

Of course, any theoretical Spider-Man 98 wouldn't have the old restrictions in place. Peter would be able to throw a punch!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Even weirder I don’t get why it’s not Ned and MJ. Yeah I get it’s not matching the movies anymore but they decided to ditch those two as well lol
    I feel like Nico is there as the bestie so they can say Peter still has an Asian best friend.

I do wonder if MJ shows up if she'll be black because of Zendaya.
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I personally suspect it’s likely a belief that “boys” who watch the show would find “high school soap opera drama” boring, but that a formulaic “...And now this particular background character gets their powers or go to on their own costumed adventure!” will delight them.

I think Spectacular Spider-Man was the only major modern cartoon to realize that just a little bit of humor and basic competence in relationship writing could make the regular kids interesting too.
    The interview emphasizes the relationships but it feels like they can't fathom that relating in a way that doesn't lead to a bunch of people probably suiting up alongside Peter.

I feel like that extends beyond cartoons and just Superhero fiction in general. I mean, they just put MJ into a costume. How many characters in the Arrowverse were constantly getting powers or getting costumes even if they didn't have them in the comics?

This could surprise us. While I prefer Peter get out of High School (seriously, I'm so tired of that setting...), I'll judge it on its own merits. Spectacular is great, despite a High School setting. I've never be opposed to it - it's a new universe and a new starting point - but I'm biased. I grew up with every cartoon Peter since the 60s in college already until Bendis's USM took off and the cartoons followed.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I do like the idea of long-form storytelling with Peter in high school (it would be fine in college.)

It's a series that could work. It's a shame that they've tried it quite a few times, and the results vary so much.

There are two main problems with earlier series. Some of these are too childish to appeal to a wider audience. Kids obviously like the PG-13 movies, so there's no reason for tamer TV shows.

The other is weird studio requirements, like the stuff that can't be shown in the 90s cartoon or the MTV series putting limits on older characters.

You could do it. We've compared superhero comicbooks with manga all the time. Well, there are many anime shows that start with a teen and end up as an adult married with children.