Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Why would any writer do that when the x office didn't bother connecting her to any real Kenyan cultures/ethnic groups of her origins, with the closest being obviously based on the maasai in everything but name.
    Writers are so lazy when it comes to Africa, Kenyan cultures aren't even that obscure, Nairobi, Mombasa and Cairo are all well known cities.
    Her culture, her heritage is fictional. It's older than that. You're right about them not really developing it. It would have been great if they had developed the tribes that worshipped her, giving them real world contemporaries.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

My thoughts...on Storm's heritage.

Lord Claremont did insert quite a few moments of her childhood and up bringing from Cairo to the village in Kenya in his stories, even revisiting Africa (the annual) before her marriage to T'Challa and Hudlin then fleshing out her extended family (and even he didn't really do much with that). Claremont didn't develop them but they are there (just as he did with her magic affinity). Then came other writers who by their own inadmissions didn't care to write Storm in any way shape or form. And I cannot judge them for that...as creatives they have their own interests and ideas that are important to them and which unfortunately did not include Storm and her published history.

Then years later, Coates gave her a Godhead. The End.

It's not that they are lazy...it's just that they didn't care as much as/in the same way we do about Storm. Not everyone is a devout Storm stan. Same with Wolverine, Jean Grey, Scott Summers, Rogue, Cable...it is what it is.

Thankfully we now have/had writers who do seem passionate and interested in Storm and want to do important things with her...and they're supported by Editorial. So, as I choose to look at it...could this have happened sooner? sure...but it's happening now...everything in its time.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Why would any writer do that when the x office didn't bother connecting her to any real Kenyan cultures/ethnic groups of her origins, with the closest being obviously based on the maasai in everything but name.
    Writers are so lazy when it comes to Africa, Kenyan cultures aren't even that obscure, Nairobi, Mombasa and Cairo are all well known cities.
    storm isn't just Kenyan. her mother is kenyan, her father was an African American born in Harlem but whose ancestry itself mostly likely going back to black slaves who escaped slavery from the south in hopes of finding freedom in the north. so her being in Atlanta as an African-American is not as lazy as you may think.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    you're welcome

storm was never judged in judgment day.
    Thank you for the reminder
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I know what he's going for, and I'm sure the book will be multifaceted in those ways. But the way this is phrased makes me think of "It's catchy, offensive, brutal and gross, but with youth appeal."
    I really want this book to be not only groundbreaking but positively defining for the character. I want her to be messy vulnerable powerful strong loving spiteful and everything. I was for a lack of a better phrase a glorious storm of things.
    Storm has lived a very full life for how relatively young she is, she's been in a loving family, an orphan a street rat a victim of war, a thief, A god, a team member, a team leader, been in all big 3 marvel teams, lead a planet wide civilisation, been involved in galactic politics among many other things. She's been at the very bottom of soceity as well as at the very top. And this solo I hope this book reflects that in its quest to redefine her forever.
    Ororo Munroe is Twilight Sparkle in xmen red if that makes sense.

I came in at the start of Storm's mohawk era, so I like when her costumes look more punk than goddess. Therefore the recent Dauterman design was perfectly cool with me and didn't need changing. I greatly prefer it to the new one.

Don't get me wrong the new one is fine, if a bit safe and uninspired. It just doesn't hit me in the same place nostalgically.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I know Brevoort claimed that the books weren’t being influenced by MCU plans or X-Men 97, but I’m pretty sure the direction to include elements from the Cockrum costume are 100% because of the cartoon. The cape doesn’t match the rest of the design, it looks oddly out of place.

The cape looks like her 90's XMTAS costume, just in black...which I hate.

Vecchio really did a better job on his Avengers 17 variant to really sell the connection to her original costume. Overall it is an updated version of the Dauterman look...lightning bolts instead of cutouts, X instead of the lightning bolt on her cropped top, with added cape and knee-high boots.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-19-2024 at 09:32 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The cape looks like her 90's XMTAS costume, just in black...which I hate.

Vecchio really did a better job on his Avengers 17 variant to really sell the connection to her original costume. Overall it is an updated version of the Dauterman look...lightning bolts instead of cutouts, X instead of the lightning bolt on her cropped top, with added cape and knee-high boots.
    If you have to change the boots, the top, the pants and the jacket into a cape, that's not an update of Dauterman that's a new look.

I Wish not ends like the future storm tò ages of apocalipse

The colours, accessories, detail elements and placement of said elements are still there from Dauterman's silhouette/design just revamped. Lightning bolts at her waist instead of across her chest. The X in her Red costume is enlarged across her chest in the new version. The most significant change is the addition of the cape.

If it was a whole suit instead of two pieces, with an open neckline, white and black instead of black and gold, thigh-high boots, and minus the neck rings... then that would be a new look.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The colours, accessories, detail elements and placement of said elements are still there from Dauterman's silhouette/design just revamped. Lightning bolts at her waist instead of across her chest. The X in her Red costume is enlarged across her chest in the new version. The most significant change is the addition of the cape.

If it was a whole suit instead of two pieces, with an open neckline, white and black instead of black and gold, thigh-high boots, and minus the neck rings... then that would be a new look.
    And that's a very significant change. It alters the entire silhouette. Removing the jacket takes her from the tough girl vibe she had when wearing Callisto's vest, back to the flowy goddess aesthetic of her original costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I know Brevoort claimed that the books weren’t being influenced by MCU plans or X-Men 97, but I’m pretty sure the direction to include elements from the Cockrum costume are 100% because of the cartoon. The cape doesn’t match the rest of the design, it looks oddly out of place.
    I dont know about that. Its an element from that costume that she keeps going back to every few years

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    storm isn't just Kenyan. her mother is kenyan, her father was an African American born in Harlem but whose ancestry itself mostly likely going back to black slaves who escaped slavery from the south in hopes of finding freedom in the north. so her being in Atlanta as an African-American is not as lazy as you may think.
    I'm not talking about her African American heritage but do you see the contrast in them able to trace Storm's American heritage as not just vaguely African American but a new Yorker and specifically from Harlem? It has roots in real African American history + culture. Meanwhile her Kenyan heritage is vague and lacks nuance, that side just "Kenyan". Which can literally be anything. They do still take aesthetics/clothing and culture from real tribes but refuse to commit to acknowledging who they are.
    Last edited by OopsIdiditagain; 05-20-2024 at 12:27 PM.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont know about that. Its an element from that costume that she keeps going back to every few years
    Werneck said on twitter that he was directed by Marvel to incorporate elements specifically from the Cockrum design.
    https://x.com/LukasWerneck/status/1791238857431674906