Page 60 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WarrensForgottenMemoryLoss View Post
    Oh, I agree Lorna and Alex NEVER worked as a couple.

I just am generally annoyed by people taking tge late X-Factor era and either treating as a literral and metaphorical assassination attempt on Laura OR just another Havok mind control tale.

Acolytes Lorna is probably still best Lorna, for me. Kind of sad, because it's a short period crammed between "Alex pinning" and Austen being VERY weird with the entire team, so people don't know it much.

I also liked some of what was done in Krakoa X-Factor, but it feels to me like the writer had plans for Lorna she never got to use, and stuff like the Alex drunk call were just... no.

It's like the Martin Frizelgard run on Tim Drake: Robin. I feel like the personnality is there and we get small nods to history that are neat, but the stories are relying on ignoring what makes the character works. The tone of the book needed Lorna to act OOC to fit in. A very sad waste of a great character...
    Nail on the head - "The tone of the book needed Lorna to act OOC to fit in."

The more I'm reminded of that title, the more embarrassed by it I get. I don't mean to trash the writer, I hear she has a fanbase of her own... but it really felt like she was just riding the wave into the new era with no real vision or stakes or even care. The biggest "story" in the title was regurgitated (the Morrigan) posed as "closing the door", but was really just an uninspired, low stakes fan fiction with doughnut trees and "Amazing Baby" (introduced by the author's pal, whose work I'd also often call fan fiction like)... I'm grateful Krakoan X-Factor did not have any impact on the rest of the mythos, because it just wasn't worth anything.

Loved her Eye Boy, though. However, he was close to a blank-slate, so it would've been hard to mess him up. He and maaaaybe Prodigy were the only characters who felt appropriate for the tone of the book. Daken was neutered. Northstar and Aurora were inconsistent. I have zero love for where Williams OR Howard took Rachel, and Siryn lacked even a single panel of personal agency - a devastating travesty after such amazing development for Siryn becoming the Morrigan in the first place, and then this author chose to finish the story with a total turd in the fish bowl.

It just embarrasses me. I can't believe this title was allowed to be published.

(That said, I always must address that apparently the author and artists faced some serious online harassment over this series, and that behavior is not okay. I'm sure the author is a lovely person and does not deserve personal hatred)
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

I just am generally annoyed by people taking tge late X-Factor era and either treating as a literral and metaphorical assassination attempt on Laura OR just another Havok mind control tale.

Acolytes Lorna is probably still best Lorna, for me. Kind of sad, because it's a short period crammed between "Alex pinning" and Austen being VERY weird with the entire team, so people don't know it much.
    People don't know it much because it never gets referenced in the comics. It was never adapted for animation, and it was quickly replaced by Lorna being an effective princess on Genosha. In terms of Lorna's connection to the island, that is known.

I also liked some of what was done in Krakoa X-Factor, but it feels to me like the writer had plans for Lorna she never got to use, and stuff like the Alex drunk call were just... no.

It's like the Martin Frizelgard run on Tim Drake: Robin. I feel like the personnality is there and we get small nods to history that are neat, but the stories are relying on ignoring what makes the character works. The tone of the book needed Lorna to act OOC to fit in. A very sad waste of a great character...
    Lorna should have never been on Krakoa X-Factor. She didn't fit the title in substance or form, and she was forced on the title when the author wasn't happy about it. It is case and point of why characters shouldn't be pigenholed as being the property of a certain title.

Once there Williams should have treated her like an elder advisor to the team, while getting White to agree to let her be used at times elsewhere. Instead, she warped the character and her history around her story rather than taking the character for what she was beforehand.

Ultimately editorial was responsible, and they did fix it with the help from the fans in the fan vote. Duggan's Lorna felt like a storytelling return to mid 2000s Lorna before her great regression period.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-19-2024 at 04:16 AM.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

This is why I almost never post in this thread, you all have a very different interpretation of the character than I do. Lorna in Williams’ X-Factor was leagues better than anything Duggan did with her.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    I have zero love for where Williams OR Howard took Rachel
    The demon Rachel (and Lorna) variant cover was about the only thing I liked about that era and it came out two years after the run.

One thing I have to say about animation is they take pointers from what is currently going on in the comics. The X-Men 97 ep which has a blink and you miss it scene of elderly Lorna and Rachel was written late 2020. When both of them were being treated as frankly irrelevant C listers on X-Factor.

Lorna’s solid B list role on WATXM was good timing as that show was developed late 2005-2006 when Lorna was still a solid B lister in the comics coming out of the Austen/Milligan era and House of M.

That is frankly the most optimistic thing that I can say about next season of X-Men 97 for Lorna because it was developed after the fan vote when Jordan White thankfully allowed the character on the fan vote to grow again and stopped for a little while catering to his early 90s nostalgia.

2021 was when the House of M became one of the most popular graphic novels of all time and a household name. Wanda’s popularity exploded and Duggan proved even small doses of modern Lorna (not the diet Jean version sorry Bunn) can be very popular on the core titles.

That isn’t to crap on the writers between Mike Carey and Williams. But, none of them really got post Genosha Lorna as a base concept in say how she deals with threats until Duggan.

The potential positive to be had is that I think season two will treat Lorna more seriously. The negative is that they won’t have much time to correct their mistakes as Lorna was sidelined for a story arc 100% critical for her character evolution though that too can be fixed.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-19-2024 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    People don't know it much because it never gets referenced in the comics. It was never adapted for animation, and it was quickly replaced by Lorna being an effective princess on Genosha. In terms of Lorna's connection to the island, that is known.

Lorna should have never been on Krakoa X-Factor. She didn't fit the title in substance or form, and she was forced on the title when the author wasn't happy about it. It is case and point of why characters shouldn't be pigenholed as being the property of a certain title.

Once there Williams should have treated her like an elder advisor to the team, while getting White to agree to let her be used at times elsewhere. Instead, she warped the character and her history around her story rather than taking the character for what she was beforehand.

Ultimately editorial was responsible, and they did fix it with the help from the fans in the fan vote. Duggan's Lorna felt like a storytelling return to mid 2000s Lorna before her great regression period.
    I never realized that Williams didn't want Lorna on X-Factor or that the character was forced on her.

It explains some things, though, like why the writer didn't seem all that upset when Lorna won the fan vote to join the X-Men.

Also explains what I felt Polaris to be written out of character in X-Factor. Just my personal opinion on that one. if some one disagrees, cool. I wouldn't be surprised if having Polaris forced in her comic also caused the writer to stretch some other characters in ways that she didn't want to to accommodate Polaris being in Krakoa X-Factor.

This is why writers should be allowed to pick their characters, or at least the majority of them.

Where was it confirmed that Williams didn't want Polaris.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post

Where was it confirmed that Williams didn't want Polaris.
    I listened to the podcasts. You can go back and listen to them yourself if you want.

1. A female assistant editor originally tried to push Lorna on Mauraders. She actually appears in the first issue, but Duggan at that point didn’t want to write her for whatever reason.

2. Then they pushed her on X-Factor which Williams said she was leery about writing her. She said she was one of the last characters added.

3. One note that Williams left with was that she planned towards the end of her 30 issue X-Factor run (it was never going to get 30 issues) was Lorna breaking mutants out of jail and punching a cop in the nose.

I have nothing against editoral telling a writer to write a character if that character fits a books mission statement. Lorna didn’t fit the the theme or mission statement of the book.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-19-2024 at 07:26 AM.

See, I like the idea of Alex and Lorna.... But when I ask myself why.... it's... a very specific moment in comics. a rather short one. And...... Lorna going berserk on Alex.... I felt that. I understood all of it. But it hit because I felt betrayed. I understood how Lorna felt emotionally.... because I wanted to see them be happy together. And..... ruined forever.

I listened to the podcasts. You can go back and listen to them yourself if you want.

1. A female assistant editor originally tried to push Lorna on Mauraders. She actually appears in the first issue, but Duggan at that point didn’t want to write her for whatever reason.

2. Then they pushed her on X-Factor which Williams said she was leery about writing her. She said she was one of the last characters added.

3. One note that Williams left with was that she planned towards the end of her 30 issue X-Factor run (it was never going to get 30 issues) was Lorna breaking mutants out of jail and punching a cop in the nose.

I have nothing against editoral telling a writer to write a character if that character fits a books mission statement. Lorna didn’t fit the the theme or mission statement of the book.
    Thanks for info.

Agree about that the comic wasn't going to last 30 issues.
    And not just because I felt that the comic was bad. Most comics don't make it to 30 issues. And that trend started before Krakoa X-Factor was launched. It sucks, but writers probably do need to make sure that they can wrap up their book in twelve issues, and then be able to have some stories saved in their back pocket if the comic makes it past that point.

Even while reading the comic the first time I felt that Williams was making a mistake thinking that X-Factor would last that long. The comic had to many second and third string characters like Eye Boy and Aroura to think that it would make it. Love Aurora though. Maybe if the comic launched in the first wave of Krakoa books it may have had a chance to last longer, but even then I doubt it with this cast.

Thanks for info.

Agree about that the comic wasn't going to last 30 issues.
    And not just because I felt that the comic was bad. Most comics don't make it to 30 issues. And that trend started before Krakoa X-Factor was launched. It sucks, but writers probably do need to make sure that they can wrap up their book in twelve issues, and then be able to have some stories saved in their back pocket if the comic makes it past that point.

Even while reading the comic the first time I felt that Williams was making a mistake thinking that X-Factor would last that long. The comic had to many second and third string characters like Eye Boy and Aroura to think that it would make it. Love Aurora though. Maybe if the comic launched in the first wave of Krakoa books it may have had a chance to last longer, but even then I doubt it with this cast.
    X-Force lasted over 50 issues on Krakoa, but that had the right balance of A, B, and C listers and a bit of the ultra violence never hurts. That was a big part of why Magneto’s solo was so successful.

Some have theorized that Lorna may be this year leading an militant team on X-Factor. I think the concept of her leading a militant team is a good one, but to be successful it can’t be an X-Factor exclusive. It can appear there, but appearing doesn’t mean exclusive.

The failure of X-Factor and it dropping below X-Force that used to be the bottom book isn’t owned by Williams. The book slowly became identified with C level and below characters and being disconnected from everything that matters long before her.

X-Force lasted over 50 issues on Krakoa, but that had the right balance of A, B, and C listers and a bit of the ultra violence never hurts. That was a big part of why Magneto’s solo was so successful.

Some have theorized that Lorna may be this year leading an militant team on X-Factor. I think the concept of her leading a militant team is a good one, but to be successful it can’t be an X-Factor exclusive. It can appear there, but appearing doesn’t mean exclusive.

The failure of X-Factor and it dropping below X-Force that used to be the bottom book isn’t owned by Williams. The book slowly became identified with C level and below characters and being disconnected from everything that matters long before her.
    I'm one of those who think that Lorna will be leading one of the more militant mutant factions. I'll wait and read the comics to see if it's the right choice, or if the comic that she appears in is the correct one for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    This is why I almost never post in this thread, you all have a very different interpretation of the character than I do. Lorna in Williams’ X-Factor was leagues better than anything Duggan did with her.
    I understand the feeling. I have very different opinions on what makes Alex Summers interesting as a character than most people on the Havok thread.

Also, i did mention I did like parts of X-Factor. Lorna didn't fit what the writer wanted, but I wouldn't say that it was as bad as say 90's PDA. Duggan's Polaris honestly gave me a good first few issues (that nuclear plant scene, yes please), but I don't see him as giving her as much of her teeth back as some of the other folks here. Oh well.

Lorna and Alex are unfortunately Magneto/Namor-levels of inconsistency and victims of the writer's whims in term of characterisation. I suspect WHEN and HOW you got introduced to those two is gonna shape a lot what you think should be done with them. (I met Lorna back in the Wolverine and the X-Men show but didn't see much of Havok until I picked up Hellions, personally.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I hated almost everything about William's X-Factor in general and was so glad when she lost Lorna. Ive enjoyed Duggan's take on her for the most part

The book was pitched the one that would outline the Resurrection Protocols. She teased it in the first issue but never got around to actually doing any of that. I felt she wasted too much time with the Morrigan stuff. X-Factor just wasnt good to be
    Last edited by Havok83; 05-19-2024 at 08:52 AM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Me too, I could not stand William´s writting to be honest but I am glad she offered Lorna to be voted on the X-men team which allowed for her to be present on the main X-men title. While I disliked deeply how writers characterized the X-men for this last phase of Krakoa´s storyline, I am glad Lorna got nice moments and is fighthing Orchis which is completely in character for her and I hope she and Magneto have a heartfel family reunion on fall of X given they parted in bad terms on trial of magneto and didn´t see each other again and it truly didn´t made sense to have just Storm and Charles reacting to his death while Lorna reacted off panel.

I heard Lorna was going to have some guests appareances on the next edition of Scarlet Witch solo title, I think that´s nice, Orlando had a good handle of her but lest hope we get news of her having a home X-book for the next phase of X-men stories. Jed Mackay said he wasn´t done showing all the characters involved in his X-men book so I hope Lorna is one of the unnamed characters or she is in another book doing her own thing but I believe besides developing Lorna´s personal mission statement as an X-man, it would do her good to reconnect with her family in general, Wanda, Pietro and Magneto.

People were asking about her after seeing her on the last XMEN 97 chapter so she is already becoming more visible for the general public that didn´t know about her.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 05-19-2024 at 09:08 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

AIPT: OK, now it’s time for one of those power-level questions. X-Fans Iron and Nana7606 asked: Why are both Jean Grey and Quentin Quire omega-level telepaths when the definition of omega-level implies that only one omega can exist in one specific power field?

Jordan: Says you!

Let me look at the phrasing of the original definition. I know Jonathan wanted to come right out of the gate going, “I’m going to clear up this omega nonsense right away.”

AIPT: [Laughs] He tried!

Jordan: So, I disagree with this question. The definition says, “A mutant whose dominant power is deemed to register or reach an undefinable upper limit of that power-specific classification.” That’s how Jonathan defined it. That does not say anything about there only being one person who can reach that level. There’s a note that if a mutant has multiple powers, probably only one of their powers is omega-level. So talking about Jean Grey not being an omega-level telekinetic and just being an omega-level telepath, which was one that I definitely thought really hard about — which of her powers do we want to say is omega-level? Because as the Phoenix, she does things that, over time, shifted from being basically super telekinesis to being more manipulation of reality. But in those early issues of her using it, it was very much her rearranging atoms with telekinesis.

So yeah, I don’t believe there’s anything in the definition that says there can be only one. It just means that Quentin and Jean have the same upper limit, which is the highest upper limit that there could possibly be. Does that mean there could be others? Sure. Maybe in time, Polaris will be an omega-level mutant alongside Magneto, you know? I think that in the interest of simplifying and trying to combat power creep, an effort was made to try to say there’s only one person. Because we don’t want to say, “Guess what? The X-Men have like 50 omega-level people on their team.”

But we had a lot of fun conversations later on about omega-level powers because the powers that he’s choosing to showcase here are the ones where it’s most simple to imagine an omega-level mutant. But what’s omega-level claws? Like, is Wolverine an omega-level claw guy? Well, no, you could have bigger claws than him. Oh, OK. [Laughs] Which we kind of talk about too, when we look at Kobak Never-Held, right? He’s the omega of prickly quills. You can’t be more prickly quill than him, man. That’s the upper limit. Is Colossus omega-level metal skin? I don’t know. When you get to those kinds of things, it’s very unclear what omega would even mean.

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/05/20/x-...ecrets-part-2/

An ‘Omega level’ discussion.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Adore this. Seeing Polaris teamed up with the X-Men in big series like this brings me a lot of joy. Also, happy to see Lorna reunited with her Dad.