Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #9 preview and discussion

Hippolyta didn't approve of Jumpa? For shame. I wonder if Diana punched her after that .

King's Jumpa story makes it sounds like a take on story of Alexander the Great taming the horse Bucephalus

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

So the image of Steve was used as a means to trap Diana in the previous issue, is this one going to be her mental "safe space" she leans on to help her get through her ordeal?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    So the image of Steve was used as a means to trap Diana in the previous issue, is this one going to be her mental "safe space" she leans on to help her get through her ordeal?
    Yeah, he’s said interviews this is Diana’s imagined idealized version of Steve

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Tom King loves writing scenes that read like a therapy session
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Fantastic Member

Hippolyta yelling at Diana for selecting Jumpa because he was a runt not worthy of a princess? Why is Tom King writing the Amazons like arrogant warriors? This is such a tired characterization.

And my god the dialogues are pretentious. You can almost see King smiling smugly and patting himself on the back as he finished writing each line.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    Hippolyta yelling at Diana for selecting Jumpa because he was a runt not worthy of a princess? Why is Tom King writing the Amazons like arrogant warriors? This is such a tired characterization.

And my god the dialogues are pretentious. You can almost see King smiling smugly and patting himself on the back as he finished writing each line.
    How is that arrogant warrior? Is the British monarchy warriors now and I missed it?

It definitely sounded off to me. He had a good read on the Hippolyta relationship in the last issue but this is the same guy who wrote Diana punching her mother out during the contest.
    Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Tom King loves writing scenes that read like a therapy session
    Well, he has a lot to work out in his writing .

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    How is that arrogant warrior? Is the British monarchy warriors now and I missed it?
    I meant this portrayal of Hippolyta gauging a creature's worth from their strength, very typical characterization of any warrior race in fiction.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I meant this portrayal of Hippolyta gauging a creature's worth from their strength, very typical characterization of any warrior race in fiction.
    Eh most people avoid picking the runt cause they reasonably might not grow healthy to make good mounts, which is the entire reason you're picking an animal to begin.

So Diana was taking more of a risk picking an animal that possibly would require more care than most. She could have picked an easier animal to tame but Diana went with the hardest choice there.

Hippolyta yelling at Diana for selecting Jumpa because he was a runt not worthy of a princess? Why is Tom King writing the Amazons like arrogant warriors?
    I understand the real-life reasoning for not selecting runts in contexts like this, but I prefer my superheroes to be less bound to real-life logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Eh most people avoid picking the runt cause they reasonably might not grow healthy to make good mounts, which is the entire reason you're picking an animal to begin.

So Diana was taking more of a risk picking an animal that possibly would require more care than most. She could have picked an easier animal to tame but Diana went with the hardest choice there.
    I just don't see Hippolyta yelling at her about it.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I understand the real-life reasoning for not selecting runts in contexts like this, but I prefer my superheroes to be less bound to real-life logic.
    They shouldnt be perfect and have some flaws within themselves

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just don't see Hippolyta yelling at her about it.
    We don' really know if she yelled. This is something Diana remembers from childhood. It could very much be an overexaggeration. Diana might have made a big fuss about it and Hippolyta might have tried and reason and explained it with Diana being difficult. She is after all in a dream state when she is saying this.