Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Having Emma Frost be part of Magnetos "brotherhood of mutants" in PotXM was definitely an interesting choice and would've been interesting to see them work together and how she'd interact with the other brotherhood

Kind of reminds me how she's now in the villain group shot in X-Men '97.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Still feels like the X-men lost over a decade in terms of animated adpatations and therefor impact on the younger generation of potential fans.

Especially the chance to do something different or new with them in animated form has been missed out.

Albeit the benefit is that they have argubaly not suffered a "bad" animated adaptation so far.
    Yeah, do we really want an X-Men cartoon on the level of Avengers Assemble and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kind of reminds me how she's now in the villain group shot in X-Men '97.

Yeah, do we really want an X-Men cartoon on the level of Avengers Assemble and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH?
    97 has definitely gained more attention than Guardians of the Galaxy and Agents of Smash ever did

The closest is probably the Spider-Man cartoons and even their reputations are extremally contested

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Having Emma Frost be part of Magnetos "brotherhood of mutants" in PotXM was definitely an interesting choice and would've been interesting to see them work together and how she'd interact with the other brotherhood
    There is the original look for Toad. On the plump side. He was also goofy in the silver age and Magneto was an abusive dick toward him. It wasn't til later that they made him more evil/formidable during X-Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    97 has definitely gained more attention than Guardians of the Galaxy and Agents of Smash ever did

The closest is probably the Spider-Man cartoons and even their reputations are extremally contested
    I think people remember Ultimate for the novelty but hardly anyone watched the 2017 Spidey show.

I decided to rewatch X-Men the Anime.

I remember not liking it very much back then. After rewatching...its just 'ok'. Decent animation. Decent storyline.

As far the X-Men themselves are concerned, from best character adaptations to worst:

1. Beast
    2. Wolverine. Power wi
    3. Emma Frost
    4. Armor
    5. Scott
    6. Xavier
    7. Storm

Emma has a whole huge arc throughout all of this. She left the Hellfire club, gains her diamond mutation, has some banter here and there, decent fighting scenes but fairly useless telepath wise.

Scott is mainly angry throughout the entire thing as he mourns Jean.

Storm....characterization is ok. The VA was a bit to on the sweet sounding side and the look is...its ok. Clearly takes after Halle Berrys version of the character. But she's fairly useless in this, especially when it comes to her powers. She doesnt have much impact when throwing out lightning and that's about all she does whenever she attacks. There's an avalanch coming towards them and she cant even whip up some air to carry everyone to safety, they have to get to it the old fashioned way. So she doesnt do a lot of weather manipulation or control.

Beast gets to use his brains, has some fight scenes and Wolverine gets to be Wolverine.

Anime Storm was basically TAS Jean without the moaning

That anime had some lovely art, but I did not like the story or characterizations, especially for Storm, who yes, would faint like TAS JeanX10. I liked the Wolverine solo anime better, even if his character design was really off. I liked the Blade one the best, but I never watched the Iron Man one.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

You can tell the X-Men anime is the one they put the most effort into production-wise compared to the other Marvel Anime.

It's interesting that Cyclops/Storm/Wolverine are the only 3 to be in the main cast for every major adaptation thus far.

I'm kind of surprised that Jean was largely left out of the 2 80s line-ups.
    As has been said already, I think that those 2 shows in the 80s were post Dark Phoenix Saga, so Jean was dead at the time.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Just finished watching W&tXM for the first time (full time through)

I had watched like 3-4 episodes YEARS BACK and just couldnt get into it since Wolverine being the Batman of X-Men annoyed me since the movies so I stayed clear of most things with him as the "star"

Overall it was decent. Hated the designs/animation.

Them doing their own take on the classic stories was a bit refreshing.

Pros were Emma Frost being part of the main cast and getting more to do and them being able explore Magneto/Pietro/Wanda/Polaris as a family since that is a rarity.

It felt weird going back to a 26 episode animated season. Thats practically 3 seasons of X-Men 97 so....I miss those days.

I had watched like 3-4 episodes YEARS BACK and just couldnt get into it since Wolverine being the Batman of X-Men annoyed me since the movies so I stayed clear of most things with him as the "star"

Pros were Emma Frost being part of the main cast and getting more to do and them being able explore Magneto/Pietro/Wanda/Polaris as a family since that is a rarity.

It felt weird going back to a 26 episode animated season. Thats practically 3 seasons of X-Men 97 so....I miss those days.
    I liked the designs but I also feel like they limited how fluid the animation could be, especially compare the action scenes in W&TXM to X-Men '97 or even Evolution.

I like to view the show as very ambitious even if it wasn't always the sum of its multiple parts. I mean, we have brewing human vs Mutant war with their own nation, time travel scenario, the X-Men re-forming after a tragic disaster, Hellfire Club shenanigans, etc. It wasn't always handled together well, but it was pretty big in scope.

Astonishing Member

I liked the designs but I also feel like they limited how fluid the animation could be, especially compare the action scenes in W&TXM to X-Men '97 or even Evolution.

I like to view the show as very ambitious even if it wasn't always the sum of its multiple parts. I mean, we have brewing human vs Mutant war with their own nation, time travel scenario, the X-Men re-forming after a tragic disaster, Hellfire Club shenanigans, etc. It wasn't always handled together well, but it was pretty big in scope.
    Oh it definitely was!

I mean, X-men '97 has a massive scope as well but its set in an established universe, unlike WatXM, which had to do all of the above with a new iteration of the franchise.

I remember also being very bothered about Logan once again being shoved to the forefront and wondering why the character that is suppose to be "hot head" is made the "leader."

My siblings who are also huge X-Men fans didn't seem to like it when it came out but I don't know how much of it they watched. I watched the whole thing around a year after it released and thought it was pretty good. From my crummy memory . . . I really liked Emma. They did a version of Rogue that was like halfway between goth Rogue and comics Rogue I think. Kinda seemed like they gave Mystique's role to Domino which was . . . a choice. And Marrow and Polaris were in it. Small roles though. Wasn't this show something Kevin Feige worked on too?
    Last edited by wlfking; 05-20-2024 at 03:13 PM.
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

Spectacular Member

I think this is the fairest assessment of it.

I think WatXM is the best X-Men show we could have gotten in that point in time - the toy-clients wanted a cartoon to tie into X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and so Wolverine had to be front-and-center by default. They do come up with reasons (however contrived) as to why the usual suspects aren't in charge, and I think the overall narrative is quite strong, though it's muddled by too many solo Logan adventures.

There are some bad portrayals, but those are usually not front and center. Most characters with significant screen time get a very solid depiction and an arc to themselves. On the antagonists' side, I especially love its presentation of Magneto, which might be my favourite animated incarnation of the character. He was voiced by the great Tom Kane, now sadly retired.