Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Games that haven't aged well.

What are some games that were good for their time, or you loved as a kid, that haven't aged well?

I'm probably going to get flack for this, since everyone still rates it so highly, but the original Zelda just doesn't play very well. I first played it after playing Link to the Past and Link's Awakening and thought it was basically unplayable, and while all these years have only solidified my love of those it's further soured my relationship with the original. It's the tech demo os Zelda, showing off everything the series could be but just not getting there.

Even Zelda 2 is better than the original, and that one hasn't aged very well either. About like the original Metroid and Castlevania 2. The NES just wasn't ready.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

EVERYTHING on Atari 2600.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

A lot of early games in long running franchises tend not to age very well because the developers were still figuring things out. Sure, the original Super Mario Bros. still holds up. And Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of the best in the entire franchise, but exceptions like this are rare. You don't see too many people hyping up the first Street Fighter or (to use a more recent example) the first Assassin's Creed.

Fantastic Member ZoomZolomonZoom's Avatar

Oblivion. That game used to be the RPG of the 2000s and now a days everything from the graphics to the gameplay is just... not up to par. I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, and I still think it's a great game but it did not age gracefully. xD
    My name is Hunter Zolomon. Despite what the public believes, I am the fastest man alive

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZolomonZoom View Post
    Oblivion. That game used to be the RPG of the 2000s and now a days everything from the graphics to the gameplay is just... not up to par. I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, and I still think it's a great game but it did not age gracefully. xD
    It is the backwards leveleing system where the game practically forces you to regularily do nothing but force-level up some skills whenever you're about to level up in order to not have a dramatically underpowered character. And to pick all the crap you won't ever be using as major skills.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Early 3D games, especially on the N64.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

A lot of the games I'd play for NES haven't aged well. It happens...time and more plays a factor.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Most level-based tabletop pen&paper RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    A lot of the games I'd play for NES haven't aged well. It happens...time and more plays a factor.
    Nope, which is why I roll my eyes when people talk about how "hard" the NES games were. Yes, they were hard... because they tended to be badly designed and modeled after arcade games.

Most games today are easier because we've just gotten better at making games.
    Life is but a dream

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZolomonZoom View Post
    I don't know it's aging badly as much as it just taking a while for people to see it was always crap to begin with.

Extraordinary Member

Most 3d games on the PS1 that used buttons instead of sticks to move.

N64 shooters - the level design is often better than in modern games, but the controls are horrible.

most Nes games that aren't Mario or Megaman.

Most open world games from before this decade, like the PS2 era GTA games.

Every Tomb Raider from before 2013.

Every 3rd person shooter from before RE4

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    I don't know it's aging badly as much as it just taking a while for people to see it was always crap to begin with.
    Will it take to 2021 for people to realize the same thing about Skyrim?
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Mario Kart 64
    Pokemon Snap
    Gran Turismo 2

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    Will it take to 2021 for people to realize the same thing about Skyrim?
    I think they realized it on release. That and Fallout 4 seems to be people finally realizing their games themselves aren't what they imagine them to be.