Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 8.33%
  • No

22 91.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It is time for Wonder Woman became Wonder Girl again!

After more than half a century when Robert "Kino" Kanigher graced us with the original Wonder Girl, we have seen nothing but decline with the character, be it Donna "Choose Your Own Adventure" Troy or Cassandra "Lost in Time and Space" Cain (Is that even her name??). Instead of introducing a Wonder Boy character it is time to return Wonder Girl to her roots; as the teenage Wonder Woman!

Reasons as to why this is the greatest idea in the history of comics
    > Provides Wonder Girl with an identity, goal (to train to become Wonder Woman) which I don't think any of the other two have
    > Allows Wonder Woman to date teenage heroes and not be awkward or illegal
    > Teenage Diana has been showing up a lot in different comics now anyway
    > Would immediately incite interest in the character
    > The stories just write themselves

Reasons as to why this idea is bad
    > .....?
    Last edited by Pinsir; 08-22-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

The problem is that the title has to be earned. It many times to me shows that Diana doesn't need to really fight to earn the title of Wonder Woman. I mean if you want Diana to be 18 years she should be Woman Woman. If she is wonder girl how should she earn the title of Wonder Woman? How would this make her more interesting? She would just be on the island not fighting crime. Why would she be dating teenage heroes ? It's all how you write the Character. Rucka brought interested back to the character but after he was done sales dipped. You just need people who understand they can't keep retconning things and add more confusing things. Also te sales from when she was Wonder Girl and Wonder tot didn't due to great. Diana should be Wonder Woman. Donna and Cassie should be more focused on right now not teenage Diana.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-22-2017 at 03:44 PM.

BANNED

Following in the footsteps of Kanigher is never a good idea.

Provides Wonder Girl with an identity, goal (to train to become Wonder Girl)...
    Explain why Wonder Girl needs to train to become Wonder Girl.

> Allows Wonder Woman to date teenage heroes and not be awkward or illegal
    Not seeing how a) DC would allow that in a million years or b) what'd be the point of it.

Would immediately incite interest in the character
    I'm not seeing how.

By the way, what happens to Wonder Woman if Diana becomes a teenager?
    Ripping off the X-Men by having two of them in the same time period?
    Last edited by Carabas; 08-22-2017 at 03:50 PM.

I'd rather a flashback of Diana meeting Donna if I can't get Cassie back.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Explain why Wonder Girl needs to train to become Wonder Girl.
    Typo

Not seeing how a) DC would allow that in a million years or b) what'd be the point of it.
    Well, she'd be a member of Teen Titans and that's what teenagers do

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    By the way, what happens to Wonder Woman if Diana becomes a teenager?
    Ripping off the X-Men by having two of them in the same time period?
    Yeah, I should have explained that is my underlying assumption. I mean who better to train Wonder Girl to become Wonder Woman than her future self!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Typo
    But why would young Diana be training to become Wonder Woman? You want to rewrite the entire Wonder Woman origin again?

Well, she'd be a member of Teen Titans and that's what teenagers do
    Yeah, DC still isn't going to allow it in a million years.

Yeah, I should have explained that is my underlying assumption. I mean who better to train Wonder Girl to become Wonder Woman than her future self!
    Okay, sorry, but that is beyond stupid. Wonder Woman's origin should not be a bootstrap time travel paradox.

Retired

I'm giving this a yes, just as a way to give the discussion an upvote. I don't know how it can be put into practice, but it's something to think about rather than dump on without consideration. After all, Diana really was the first Wonder Girl. And those were some of the most successful stories that Bob Kanigher produced. Note that at first Wonder Girl was a relatively unimportant idea, but she got more and more play and took over whole issues, often appearing on the cover.

As editor, Kanigher probably saw that those stories got a positive response both in sales and letters, which would be why he gave Wonder Girl an expanded role. Just like the Legion got greater play under editor Weisinger thanks to fan response. I think if they had created a spin-off Wonder Woman title, it would have been WONDER GIRL (possibly with Wonder Tot as a back-up feature) to match the success of the SUPERBOY title at the time.

While many of the Wonder Girl stories were flashbacks (which somewhat retconned Wonder Woman's origins), others were Impossible Tales. And that's the only way I see this working in the DCU proper. John Byrne tipped his metaphorical hat to the Kanigher version by creating an "impossible" sort of origin for Donna Troy/Dark Angel. Given the magical and mythical nature of Wonder Woman--and the fact that apparently all her adventures on Paradise Island/Themyscira have been delusions--there could be some impossible way that Wonder Girl came into existence, with Diana being the first to have that name. Which is then passed on to other young women.

I think the cute girls that played young Diana in the movie have excited interest in that young version of the character. The Kanigher stories mostly took place on Paradise Island. So DC could probably have a lot of success by putting out stories about young Diana's training years on Themyscira. But maybe not as a comic book, rather as a series of children's picture books. And the DC Superhero Girls version of Wonder Woman makes me cringe a bit (she's not a girl, she's a woman), whereas a doll and cartoon series for Wonder Woman as a girl--a Wonder Girl--would not make me cringe at all.

BANNED

Where's that clip of a barber shop quarter going "Hell no" in increasingly higher pitches?

Seriously, this is just baaaaaaad. Donna is suffering with her friends in Titans, and Cassandra Sansmark (Cassandra Cain is a Batgirl, and the greatest character ever invented) isn't even around right now, and hasn't been written well in over a decade. She'll need major support when she comes back to help her become great again, and that's not going to happen if she loses the Wonder Girl name.

And even if all three could co-exist, I don't think it would stick, thus making the whole thing a waste of time.

Also, since the OP and I haven't spoken too often, I'll inform them that my perspective is of someone who has Donna and Cassie in their top 35 heroes, while Diana doesn't make the top 100.

Astonishing Member

So, present day Diana becomes her future self to teach her past self in the present how to be like she is now? Were you drunk when you wrote this?

Like Jim Kelly, I'm all for some more fun Wonder girl adventures. I imagine there being lots of magic and mischief to be found on a magical island with doorways to magical places. It could be a lot of fun. As a prequel and/or elseworld. Not so much as current continuity.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I don't like this idea at all(sorry). It defeats the purpose of the contest in which the best Amazon is chosen to be an emissary of peace to Man's World as Wonder Woman. Wonder Girl should be similar, not just given to Donna or Cassie because they become friends with Diana. Donna and Cassie should be shown having to earn the Wonder Girl title through training, hard work, and accomplishment.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    So, present day Diana becomes her future self to teach her past self in the present how to be like she is now? Were you drunk when you wrote this?
    Nah, I've just been reading one or two Silver Age stories before bed.

Like Jim Kelly, I'm all for some more fun Wonder girl adventures. I imagine there being lots of magic and mischief to be found on a magical island with doorways to magical places. It could be a lot of fun. As a prequel and/or elseworld. Not so much as current continuity.
    I'm not against just some more Wonder Girl stories in general, like the New 52 #0 issue.

BANNED

I'm not against just some more Wonder Girl stories in general, like the New 52 #0 issue.
    That was not a Wonder Girl story.

BANNED

you may then presume that all the silver age authors were so to come up with those stories. You can also call terry Pratchett's night watch written under the sauces influence. In fact Hyppolyta herself has been shown to have inspire the legend of wonder woman when she went back into the past and assumed the mantle. So its not some concept he pulled out of the blue.

BANNED

If you want a teenager the Wonder Woman book, might I suggest:

-Cassandra Sandsmark

and/or

-Donna Troy?

My suspicion would be that doing so would create continuity errors on a Hawkman level that would take years to untangle.

So, no.