View Poll Results: ???

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is the best Superman tale that has ever been told.

14 48.28%
  • This is a good Superman book.

10 34.48%
  • This is a mediocre Superman book.

3 10.34%
  • This book stinks.

2 6.90%

Default Is All-Star Superman 10 the best comic book ever?

What I mean is... What are your opinions on All-Star Superman? I posted in the Wonder Woman forum about Azarello's run, which I loved. I loved All-Star Superman but I don't know people's opinions on it. I'd love to hear them.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

That issue itself isn't even quite my favorite issue of that series (that'd be #6), but of the presented options "best Superman tale that has ever been told" is certainly a fairer categorization than "good".
    Buh-bye

Incredible Member

I don't know if I have a favourite issue, but the whole series is incredible. Perfect Superman.

Never read the series (except for a freebie reprint of issue #1), so really can't say.
    Then again, I'm not a Grant Morrison acolyte. Some of his stuff I like, but I didn't like his New52 Superman run in Action Comics, so I'm not really feeling a need to try his entire A-SS run.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Never read the series (except for a freebie reprint of issue #1), so really can't say.
    Then again, I'm not a Grant Morrison acolyte. Some of his stuff I like, but I didn't like his New52 Superman run in Action Comics, so I'm not really feeling a need to try his entire A-SS run.
    Morrison's Action Comics run and All-Star Superman are different animals. Action was meant to bring some of the Golden Age social crusader back into the books while All-Star is more of a love letter to the Silver Age. Style and theme wise, they are pretty different. I mean, All-Star even has a golden key to get into the fortress and Superman robots! All-Star is a big crazy epic with a good heart. So you may actually like it. I'm about 50/50 with the Morrison stuff I like, certainly no acolyte either. This one, I'm glad I read.

I also went with "best Superman tale" as "good" just doesn't seem to do it. I'd certainly say it's among the greatest. I don't know that I'd call it "the greatest of all time" but it is up there.

Pretty great. Best ever? I've never read every single Superman story ever published so I'm not in the position to offer that title to any story. I can weigh in on if its my personal favorite Superman tale or not though, and its not.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-28-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Best I've read... no. Also not the best of All Star if only because I couldn't remember which one that was without Google. I'm not really the type to call All Star "the best," it never met the insane hype for me. But I really enoyed issue 6 and the jerkwads from Krypton.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Not a fan of either Morrison or especially Frank Quitely, so I definitely wouldn't put this up their with the best of Superman. Most of Grant Morrison's work I don't find to my liking, he has good ideas it's his execution that I usually find unenjoyable, one of the reasons I stayed away from his Action Comics. As for Quitley, I haven't enjoyed anything he's worked on, excluding a pinup of Spider-Man & Prime.
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

The only option to consider was good.This is not just a good option.All Star is among the greatest ever.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I voted Good but Best is definitely a contender. As far as stories told over the last 30 years, this is maybe the only Superman story that rivals The Dark Knight Returns in terms of quality and redefining the character. I don't know what other book comes close for Superman in terms of art, execution, characterization, and ambition. Quite honestly I put All Star Superman up there with Watchmen, and it's completely optimistic which nudges it even higher!

Quitely was great though they gave him muddy, computerized coloring. Morrison I'd absolutely give an A+ for ambition and execution. But idea wise... the majority of it just felt refurbished. As an homage, which isn't a bad thing, it successfully picked out some of the coolest things to showcase. However, a maxi series homage is destined to be kinda predictable with blatant and somewhat cloying beats and big statements. This was the case with All Star imo. Issue 10 had Regan as its basic poster child for "the feels" and the end had the "he sees all of us in a room" bit. With how short the story was, it felt like a 40 minute greatest hits album or a tribute set for a really prolific band. Impressive but at best points one back to the material that inspired it.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I would argue that All Star Superman makes reading Silver Age comics a much more rewarding experience. It changed how I read that era. I just looked at the cover, it's unreal!

Not remotely a Grant Morrison fan...the only work of his that I enjoyed apart from All Star was Zenith way back in his 2000AD days.

But have to rub my eyes in near disbelief that this particular issue got 5 votes in mediocre/ poor category already. I'd guess those be from guys that don't like Silver Age Superman. I've read much poorer Superman stories!

I voted good...for me it's not best ever...but if there was a vote in between (e.g. something like "top ten contender") I'd have voted that.

I'm also surprised by less than good votes. All Star is like the one comic that's ever even brought up for the subject of best ever.