Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Well this is a bit of a stretch but in John's run on New 52 Superman where it first introduces Oz the first issue opens with Superman fighting Titano. Which in this version is a Kryptonite powered , robot gorilla.
    Wow. Never thought I'd write that sentence .ain't comics great ?
    Anyways and the gorilla on this cover looks like its kryptinite powered gorilla .

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Also Superman is fighting mechanical animals in this issue. So there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Valens View Post
    Probably just an easter egg for those in the know.
    I tknow that it's a classic throw back to put gorillas on covers. But why is this issue?
    Last edited by mortymantis; 08-24-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Astonishing Member

Mad speculation time!

I don't have a huge stake in this. I've been speculating and have odds-on favorites for who Mister Oz might actually wind up being. But a notion struck me that I want to explore;

Mister Oz is Conner Kent.

A few things check out.

1. The Oz/Kansas kind of reference fits because Conner has spent the last few years prior to the New 52 living in Smallville and having adventures there.
    2. Even the "Clark, I taught you that" bits can technically be explained away, but for that it takes me getting a little esoteric. First; Doctor Manhattan does not understand Superman and has rewritten the DCU to be something he understands better but somehow Superman has reversed that through sheer grit and optimism. Second; Conner is a clone. A clone of Superman, along with human DNA as well. I'd thought momentarily Oz could be a future version of Jon Kent, a future version (that could make Superman lose hope) whose hatred of Luthor for instance is all tied up in his dislike of his own human-half (see also; confrontations with Lois). But actually, I think the story works better for Conner. And would also explain the missing Legion of Super-Heroes.
    3. The hatred of Lex fits, as does the capture of Tim Drake, who can "draw too many connections". Drawing connections between conspicuously missing characters is noteworthy, but really why would any "Cosmic Power" capture Tim Drake of all people unless the connection he could draw was SPECIFICALLY personal to both of them? For that reason and hijinx he's played with the Legion, I feel are the same reason why Bart is missing. And why he seems properly adult.
    4. It had also occurred to me that Oz could be a version of a Bizarro. But then again, Morrison's Earth-16 made me realize that there's a really poetic notion, at least in impermanent storytelling terms, of Conner, well, "Going all Bizarro on us", which is where Superman Clones usually wind up.
    5. Conner would also have a personal reason for keeping captive and using Doomsday, and at this point would also probably know to keep a watchful eye on Mxyzptlk as well. He'd also NEVER believe Luthor could be good.
    6. Again, his existence "out of time" could link to either Legion things, or Doctor Manhattan finding him curious as a clone of Superman, and plucking him out of time or something.
    7. He's also pretty ensconced in Kirby-style stuff and post-Byrne era Kirby-revival concepts so that future cover with a Kirby-esque chair could be fitting.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Mad speculation time!

I don't have a huge stake in this. I've been speculating and have odds-on favorites for who Mister Oz might actually wind up being. But a notion struck me that I want to explore;

A few things check out.

1. The Oz/Kansas kind of reference fits because Conner has spent the last few years prior to the New 52 living in Smallville and having adventures there.
    2. Even the "Clark, I taught you that" bits can technically be explained away, but for that it takes me getting a little esoteric. First; Doctor Manhattan does not understand Superman and has rewritten the DCU to be something he understands better but somehow Superman has reversed that through sheer grit and optimism. Second; Conner is a clone. A clone of Superman, along with human DNA as well. I'd thought momentarily Oz could be a future version of Jon Kent, a future version (that could make Superman lose hope) whose hatred of Luthor for instance is all tied up in his dislike of his own human-half (see also; confrontations with Lois). But actually, I think the story works better for Conner. And would also explain the missing Legion of Super-Heroes.
    3. The hatred of Lex fits, as does the capture of Tim Drake, who can "draw too many connections". Drawing connections between conspicuously missing characters is noteworthy, but really why would any "Cosmic Power" capture Tim Drake of all people unless the connection he could draw was SPECIFICALLY personal to both of them? For that reason and hijinx he's played with the Legion, I feel are the same reason why Bart is missing. And why he seems properly adult.
    4. It had also occurred to me that Oz could be a version of a Bizarro. But then again, Morrison's Earth-16 made me realize that there's a really poetic notion, at least in impermanent storytelling terms, of Conner, well, "Going all Bizarro on us", which is where Superman Clones usually wind up.
    5. Conner would also have a personal reason for keeping captive and using Doomsday, and at this point would also probably know to keep a watchful eye on Mxyzptlk as well. He'd also NEVER believe Luthor could be good.
    6. Again, his existence "out of time" could link to either Legion things, or Doctor Manhattan finding him curious as a clone of Superman, and plucking him out of time or something.
    7. He's also pretty ensconced in Kirby-style stuff and post-Byrne era Kirby-revival concepts so that future cover with a Kirby-esque chair could be fitting.
    That's a good theory. But I still have one question.

Why is there a gorilla on this cover?

Amazing Member

Mad speculation time!

A few things check out.

I like this Conner theory now. Maybe a time displaced Conner, so he's a bit older and wiser and some in story explanation comes about how he has more powers. It checks the Lex box, then there could be an explanation about why he snatches Jor-El from the destruction of Krypton, which would give Superman pause once its actually revealed his father is alive.
    Last edited by MDR123; 08-24-2017 at 08:16 PM.

I think it would be a mistake to conclude that Oz MUST be Jor-El given the motion cover and the BC rumors. I don't doubt that Jor-El is involved somehow, perhaps even was kidnapped by Manhattan, but that doesn't guarantee he's Oz.

Also, the solicits for the post-Oz Effect issues describe a Superman who is struggling to "regain a sense of hope for humanity." How would Oz being Jor-El affect Clark's faith in humanity?

I still think Oz is going to end up being a future Jon Kent or maybe even a future Kal.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    I think it would be a mistake to conclude that Oz MUST be Jor-El given the motion cover and the BC rumors. I don't doubt that Jor-El is involved somehow, perhaps even was kidnapped by Manhattan, but that doesn't guarantee he's Oz.

Also, the solicits for the post-Oz Effect issues describe a Superman who is struggling to "regain a sense of hope for humanity." How would Oz being Jor-El affect Clark's faith in humanity?

I still think Oz is going to end up being a future Jon Kent or maybe even a future Kal.
    I keep thinking of the BC rumor about OZ being PreCrisis Jor-El. What if it's PreCrisis Kal?
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I'm still thinking there could be 2 Ozs. One bald, one with hair. One is Jor-El, the other is Pa Kent and they both ripped from the time before their deaths and are working together. Their ultimate goal is to protect their son from Manhatten. Superman finds out and it's a double gut punch that makes him question his faith in both humans and kryptonians.

BANNED

Mad speculation time!

A few things check out.

that would also tie up the loose ends of his series with the apparent mystery of what was going on in smallville.

Incredible Member

Conner as Oz reminds me of Black Zero. Now that guy was scary and clearly had the power to pull something like this. We are, after all, talking about a guy who decided to have an entire jail cell full of Doomsdays from other timelines, just in case he ever met a dimension with a living Superman.

I still don't think an alternate version of himself would do much to Superman's psyche. He's a tough guy, mentally just as much as physically, and he knows of the multiverse. He knows incarnations exist that are not like him. Seeing another one who was very morally gray, that's basically just another day at the park for Superman. If the reveal is intended to have a direct emotional and mental punch on Superman , it can't be just another version of him.

Frankly I don't even think Conner would achieve this, though it would definitely hurt him more than finding out Oz was an incarnation of him. Absolutely nothing would hit on the level that his father would, though. Either one. But unless there's more than one (which is an interesting theory, though), Jonathan's off the table as this guy's a Kryptonian, and thus it leaves only Jor-El. So its not about hanging one's hat totally on the BC article or just the lenticular cover. Its the combination of those two things with, most importantly, the fact that absolutely everything on the printed page to this point points to it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-29-2017 at 06:50 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Once Oz came at Lex I immediately thought he was Kon. He's obviously kryptonian, but including Lex in his eventual reveal seems significant. Conner is a mix of the world's greatest hero and the world's greatest villain. What if a being with that lineage became evil? Superman's kryptonian power and intellect added to Lex's cunning and super genius. That could be the ultimate villain.

New 'Tec cover has Tim "on trial" standing while contained by two large rings, with three visages of Oz's face projected above him. Basically the sentencing scene from Superman The Movie.

He's Jor-El, peeps.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-30-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    New 'Tec cover has Tim "on trial" standing while contained by two large rings, with three visages of Oz's face projected above him. Basically the sentencing scene from Superman The Movie.

He's Jor-El, peeps.
    What a waste this story turned out to be.