Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default The Origin of Vibranium... in Captain Marvel?

And thus the strip mining and daylight robbery of the Black Panther mythos continues unabated. :smh:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2mergu8.jpg
    http://i58.tinypic.com/30bzgg1.jpg
    http://i58.tinypic.com/25zpjjl.jpg

The more I see Marvel writers playing fast and loose with aspect of established Black Panther mythos lore, the more apparent it becomes that Flex-Hectic's call for a Point Man to safeguard said mythos isn't as outlandish as some would seem to believe. :smh:

I seem to remember some posters suggesting T'Challa heading an intergalactic mission to establish the original source of the meteor that brought Vibranium to Wakanda.

It would appear that Kelly Sue DeConnick has taken a leaf out of our book.

And some still argue against the importance of having a solo Black Panther book.

By the time Marvel editorial have finished strip mining T'Challa's world of all that makes it unique, there'll be nothing left to base a solo book on.:smh:
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 07-10-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: the "S" key on my keyboard is faultty. :(

Fantastic Member

The whole handling of virbanium has been horrid. The Savage Lands having its own source of virbraium, the whole Doom tampering thing, Shuri seeking to borrow vibranium from the Savage Lands and now the space origins of vibranium is being explored in a non-related Black Panther book.

Its not like it is (or was) one of the most prominent features of the Black Panther/Wkakandan lore or anything -__-

I don't see why this would be a thing, it completely devalues vibranium. The super "rare" metal can't be all that special, if you can just travel to another location on earth and get some of it, or hop a few planets to pick some up.
    Last edited by Maverick; 07-10-2014 at 10:41 AM. Reason: grammar errors

Does J'Son think Earth is his sort of like the Kree did? Maybe he's referring to Earth as "that pissant planet" and that's just a bunch of stolen Vibranium.

I don't know because I'm not reading Capt. Marvel (just Ms. unless htey crossover).
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Yeah it is pretty terrible that vibraniums origin is being handled in a non bp book. I always assumed a future black panther writer would handle that.
    We need better comics

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Does J'Son think Earth is his sort of like the Kree did? Maybe he's referring to Earth as "that pissant planet" and that's just a bunch of stolen Vibranium.

I don't know because I'm not reading Capt. Marvel (just Ms. unless htey crossover).
    Hmm..maybe he is referring to Earth.

I'm not reading Capt. Marvel either.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post

If it was referring to a planet he owned which had mines or something I'd think he wouldn't be so worried about one shipment and arguing over payment. So just reading those pages to me says that it's stolen goods. Knowing what he thinks of Earth based on GotG and Infinity, I think that maybe this isn't quite the insult it's being perceived as. But like I said I've only seen those three pages so maybe I'm totally off.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    And thus the trip mining and daylight robbery of the Black Panther mythos continues unabated. :smh:

The more I see Marvel writers playing fast and loose with aspect of established Black Panther mythos lore, the more apparent it becomes that Flex-Hectic's call for a Point Man to safeguard said mythos isn't as outlandish as some would seem to believe. :smh:

I seem to remember some posters suggesting T'Challa heading an intergalactic mission to establish the original source of the meteor that brought Vibranium to Wakanda.

It would appear that Kelly Sue DeConnick has taken a leaf out of our book.

And some still argue against the importance of having a solo Black Panther book.

By the time Marvel editorial have finished strip mining T'Challa's world of all that makes it unique, there'll be nothing left to base a solo book on.:smh:

my idea was linking BP through GOTG through space vibranium.... possibly making it a infinity stone

i still think it works.. and vibranium in space needs explored..

dont how the scan is bad.... to us vibranium is unique... for space people its like diamonds or gold... t'challa cant own all the gold, or all the diamonds. and besides earth is not the source of vibranium... its clearly stated the metorite crashed to earth, meaning there is more out there

black panther is bigger than vibranium.. there is more to him.. that being said, the more it comes up the more he will.

no one retconned that the vibranium metorite crasahed into stark tower or anything
    Last edited by FriendRoss; 07-10-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Its canon that Vibrainum comes from space originally.

J'son is NOT referring to Earth.

There are a bunch of Space refugees on the planet that Ms. Marvel is on.

It seems like there is Vibrinium on that planet and J'son is determined to dig it out even if the side effects of mining it kill all the space refugees (who are just hapless bystanders in all of this) there.

Wakandans can mine Vibrinium without side effects because they know what they are doing. These guys don't (and its not like J'son would give a #$%% about any of the space refugees either in any event).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Its canon that Vibrainum comes from space originally.

J'son is NOT referring to Earth.

There are a bunch of Space refugees on the planet that Ms. Marvel is on.

It seems like there is Vibrinium on that planet and J'son is determined to dig it out even if the side effects of mining it kill all the space refugees (who are just hapless bystanders in all of this) there.

Wakandans can mine Vibrinium without side effects because they know what they are doing. These guys don't (and its not like J'son would give a #$%% about any of the space refugees either in any event).
    Oh, then yeah, this is dumb.

I suppose they could later add on some additional super-awesome-wow properties to Wakandan vibranium but it's a shame that now need to gild the lily in order to keep it special.
    Pull List:

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    my idea was linking BP through GOTG through space vibranium.... possibly making it a infinity stone

i still think it works.. and vibranium in space needs explored..

dont how the scan is bad.... to us vibranium is unique... for space people its like diamonds or gold... t'challa cant own all the gold, or all the diamonds. and besides earth is not the source of vibranium... its clearly stated the metorite crashed to earth, meaning there is more out there

black panther is bigger than vibranium.. there is more to him.. that being said, the more it comes up the more he will.

no one retconned that the vibranium metorite crasahed into stark tower or anything
    It is true that vibranium came from a meteorite, so it would make sense that there would be more of it in space.

This story (or atleast these few pages of it) just seems to be of nature that would conspire in a Black Panther solo comic.

Extraordinary Member

Oh, then yeah, this is dumb.

I suppose they could later add on some additional super-awesome-wow properties to Wakandan vibranium but it's a shame that now need to gild the lily in order to keep it special.
    It was always from space though.

Both types-the Wakandan and the Savage Land variety.

It had to come from SOMEWHERE.

It's still special otherwise J'son wouldn't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    It was always from space though.

Both types-the Wakandan and the Savage Land variety.

It had to come from SOMEWHERE.

It's still special otherwise J'son wouldn't want it.
    I realize it was always from space. I'm saying that having someone else have a planetfull of it undermines it's importance since there are now even more and likely larger sources of it.

Honestly, I'd probably retcon this and just say that planet Vibranium was destroyed billions of years ago, parts of it scattered landing on other planets but the largest remnant landed on Earth in Wakanda.

Instead we now have some people not tied to Wakanda at all owning the planet where Wakanda's most valuable resource comes from.

This would be like if after HoM the X-Men would have been all "Oh no! The X gene is wiped out across all reality!" and T'challa would have said "Oh that stuff? We've got a ton of it locked up in the magic proof freezer."
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 07-10-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    Pull List:

The whole handling of virbanium has been horrid. The Savage Lands having its own source of virbraium, the whole Doom tampering thing, Shuri seeking to borrow vibranium from the Savage Lands and now the space origins of vibranium is being explored in a non-related Black Panther book.

Its not like it is (or was) one of the most prominent features of the Black Panther/Wkakandan lore or anything -__-

I don't see why this would be a thing, it completely devalues vibranium. The super "rare" metal can't be all that special, if you can just travel to another location on earth and get some of it, or hop a few planets to pick some up.
    This honestly makes perfect sense to me. Vibranium is from outer space. One small nation on earth shouldn't be the only people in the universe using it. I'm frankly surprised it took this long for a space story to use it.

BANNED

J'Son is referring to an Alien planet Captain Marvel is trying to protect.

Y'all know Carol Danvers current adventures aren't taking place on Earth, right?

BANNED

I realize it was always from space. I'm saying that having someone else have a planetfull of it undermines it's importance since there are now even more and likely larger sources of it.

Honestly, I'd probably retcon this and just say that planet Vibranium was destroyed billions of years ago, parts of it scattered landing on other planets but the largest remnant landed on Earth in Wakanda.

Instead we now have some people not tied to Wakanda at all owning the planet where Wakanda's most valuable resource comes from.

This would be like if after HoM the X-Men would have been all "Oh no! The X gene is wiped out across all reality!" and T'challa would have said "Oh that stuff? We've got a ton of it locked up in the magic proof freezer."
    I'm glad to see that at least one or two cat's currently posting on this subject actually see the bigger picture.

At no point (anywhere in my original post) did I refer to the Vibranium references in Captain Marvel #5 as being an "insult" but what I clearly enunciated was the fact that by the time various writers finish strip mining all the unique aspects from the BP mythos, there'll be nothing left to base a Black Panther solo book upon.

Jonathan Hickman followed through on what Reginald Hudlin had already established during his BP run as regards Wakanda's Space Program....

so as posters such as marvell2100 have suggested in previous BP Appreciation threads, it would have been cool to see a Wakandan expedition launched into deep space to trace the original source of Vibranium.

This would have been an interesting plot line within a Black Panther solo book that could have further broadened the BP mythos beyond being confined to the 616 Earth based histrionics that for the most part, have weighed them down under the weight of some unimaginative writers.

We all know that Wakandan Vibranium originated from the stars but let's not be mistaken about the fact that when the subject of Vibranium comes up within the 616 MU, heads are rarely talking about the Savage Land variety.

A lot of Wakandan innovations such as the Quinjet and Kimoyo card have already be palmed off as Tony Stark and S.H.I.E.L.D. generated inventions and innovations so it' not as if the concerns I'm raising as regards this current incorporation of Vibranium into the Captain Marvel book isn't without merit.

Time and time again, I keep pointing out these inconsistencies only to have some accuse me of being too pessimitic.

Unfortunately, reality strikes for some when I'm more often than not, proven right.

When Hickman departs from NA writing duties there's going to be a reall rude awakening for some BP fans. :smh:

One would have thought that y'all would have learnt your respective lessons after this.

Wakandan Vibranium has always been part and parcel of the Black Panther mythos so there's really no reason why this should no longer be the case moving forward regardless of whether some readers are of the impression that a "small" nation like Wakanda shouldn't be the only ones to benefit from a metear that crash landed within their own borders.

If said meteor had landed let's say in Latveria, I very much doubt anyone would be questioning Doom's sacred right to not only safeguard said resource but actually set out to find the original resource and annex it for himself.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 07-10-2014 at 01:16 PM.