Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default All New Invaders #7 -Spoilers

Robinson concludes this very sensitive subject by actually turning the argument around on Radiance, thus defusing all the anger associated with the use of Atomic Bombs in WW11. So instead of addressing the Bombs on Japan head on, it is dealt with in passing with the usual argument put in the mouth of Happy Sam Sawyer about ending the war saving many American servicemen lives.

spoilers:
    . Radiance is waiting for Jim Hammond to explain what his part was in the Atomic Bombs on Japan, when Jim comes up with an alternative attack on the Japanese Fleet aroundsome Islands. Golden Girl, Radiances grandmother, disagrees with the Invaders making tidal waves to destroy the fleet while killing innocent islanders in the process, so she starts an internal war with the invaders making them scrub the mission. It is this change by the Invaders, that makes the command go with the Atomic Bombs. When Golden Girl finds out she is mortified, but gets on with life. Radiance decides to do the same thing and get on with life. There is a little drama at the end where the SHIELD agent debriefing Jim Hammond turns out to be an Alien Mecha
    end of spoilers

Robinson avoids controversy in this rendition of an Original Sin by defusing the forward movement of Radiance's argument that the Invaders were culpable over the Atomic Bomb attacks of Japan. Instead, we are given a remorseful apology by Radiance for broaching the subject.

would have liked to seen more of the Kid Commandos. somehow this issue feels like a let down. guess i was expecting some big secrets to be exposed but we get nothing really.

That cover lied! I was promised Captain America and the Invaders would fight a genki magical girl! I demand to read about Captain America fighting Sailor Moon, or a full refund!!!!

I wonder if the agent who turned out to be something more is linked to the recent invasion from the FF.

I am just enjoying how heroic Jim Hammond is being written. He is the star of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    I am just enjoying how heroic Jim Hammond is being written. He is the star of the book.
    Given how the other Invaders are really focused on in other books, it almost makes sense for him to be the star of this book really. And the guy certainly deserves it. He's arguably marvels first super hero (him or Namor I think), yet he essentially got decommissioned by marvel for decades because they wanted to turn him into the Vision for whatever reason even though they characters were nothing alike.

They've of course brought him back a couple of times, but I think this time he's actually got a nice defined niche for himself and a writer willing to give him a bit of spotlight. Hopefully it sticks.

Pretty much the outcome I imagined when I saw the previews abouth the allied plan using the Invaders.

Peace

I would love to see Robinson write a solo Torch (Jim) series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Robinson concludes this very sensitive subject by actually turning the argument around on Radiance, thus defusing all the anger associated with the use of Atomic Bombs in WW11. So instead of addressing the Bombs on Japan head on, it is dealt with in passing with the usual argument put in the mouth of Happy Sam Sawyer about ending the war saving many American servicemen lives.

Radiance is waiting for Jim Hammond to explain what his part was in the Atomic Bombs on Japan, when Jim comes up with an alternative attack on the Japanese Fleet aroundsome Islands. Golden Girl, Radiances grandmother, disagrees with the Invaders making tidal waves to destroy the fleet while killing innocent islanders in the process, so she starts an internal war with the invaders making them scrub the mission. It is this change by the Invaders, that makes the command go with the Atomic Bombs. When Golden Girl finds out she is mortified, but gets on with life. Radiance decides to do the same thing and get on with life. There is a little drama at the end where the SHIELD agent debriefing Jim Hammond turns out to be an Alien Mecha

Robinson avoids controversy in this rendition of an Original Sin by defusing the forward movement of Radiance's argument that the Invaders were culpable over the Atomic Bomb attacks of Japan. Instead, we are given a remorseful apology by Radiance for broaching the subject.
    Glad to see someone started this thread. However, a few corrections...

It was NOT Jim Hammond's idea to destroy the Japanese fleet with a tsunami. That was the scientists and the military.

Neither Golden Girl or the fight with the Kid Commando's made the Invaders scrub the mission. It was the realization of just how populated the islands were that did so.

Radiance wasn't apologizing for broaching the subject. She was apologizing for taking SHIELD hostages and blowing up the building.

Incredible Member PhantomReporter's Avatar

Invaders vs Kid Commandos? Seeing as Toro and Bucky were literally with the KC for a few months and back with the Invaders by summer 1942, was there any flashbacks to show if the KC actually existed as a team in the following years? Was it just Davy and Gwenny or did they show new members?

I assume that Bucky and Toro sided with the KC otherwise thats an ultra short confrontation!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomReporter View Post
    Invaders vs Kid Commandos? Seeing as Toro and Bucky were literally with the KC for a few months and back with the Invaders by summer 1942, was there any flashbacks to show if the KC actually existed as a team in the following years? Was it just Davy and Gwenny or did they show new members?

I assume that Bucky and Toro sided with the KC otherwise thats an ultra short confrontation!
    This is obviously a different Bucky. And according to this, the Kid Commandos were a team that had their fair share of missions off by themselves. So, apparently there were more missions for Bucky and Toro than those two months that you are thinking of. And the implication being they had better team work than the Invaders, and seemed to have taken better advantage of their war experiences as far as using their powers, than the Invaders.

Yeah, not exactly the way I see it, but ...

Momentarily forgot the timeline - Fred Davis of course.

I think i mentioned in the main Invaders appreciation that i once plotted out a KC mini series in my head which showed what happened next and added a few new members.

Off topic question: are there any inexpensive reprints of the two All-Winner's Squad stories? Thanks.

I am slightly worried that James Robinson might have overlooked a few things - the Union Jack and Spitfire still on the team in July 45 in the Pacific Theatre and no Whizzer and Miss A for instance. A few remarks to explain this, acceptable. Nothing ... smacks of not knowing certain things and assumption. That is troubling.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    Off topic question: are there any inexpensive reprints of the two All-Winner's Squad stories? Thanks.
    I think there's 4 All Winners Marvel Masterworks out. The first one is also out in paperback and the second one is coming out in paperback in December, allegedly.

There was an All Winners reprint, where Steranko did a new cover ... but it's only one issue reprinted.