Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunyc View Post
    I don't really remember seeing any vitriol between them either, I could be wrong though... I remember during Priest's run though that some Avengers play the game a little dirtier than others. I remember wasp saying something to Ironman about Panther like that. Maybe Carol is a little too straight laced to understand a guy like BP. Although she slurps Stark pretty hard...
    They are like water and oil is all I'm saying.

No big beef. Just they don't mix

I don't really remember seeing any vitriol between them either, I could be wrong though... I remember during Priest's run though that some Avengers play the game a little dirtier than others. I remember wasp saying something to Ironman about Panther like that. Maybe Carol is a little too straight laced to understand a guy like BP. Although she slurps Stark pretty hard...
    Hmmm... honestly I can't recall a whole lot of interaction between them at all. The one thing I recall is during Geoff's run, when it was revealed that Black Panther joined the Avengers to spy on them. I think Carol took a bit off issue with that, suggesting that she was kicked off the team for less. Or something like that. It's been awhile since I read that.

I can't off the top of my head thing of any other interaction between them. I'm assuming that Carol is over the spy thing, but I don't think there's any particular reason to assume they're friends or anything either. But friends or not business is business and I'm sure if there was a reason to involve T'Challa she would. I just don't personally think anything in this story thus far necessarily would require her to do so. Which isn't to say a writer couldn't sneak him in there if they wanted to.

She was pissed off about him spying on the avengers and him calling up doom in johns avengers run
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    She was pissed off about him spying on the avengers and him calling up doom in johns avengers run
    Sort of weird how back in that era Doom and Namor had a working relationship with T'Challa of sorts (something I was a big fan of).Things have changed quite a bit on that front since then... though I guess Namor and T'Challa STILL have a working relationship. Heck, he might have one with Doom too before all is said and done.

Yikes. On the KSD stuff.

She actually opened a door that has not been mentioned. While the Wakandan Vibranium mining tuff is cool, KSD could possibly rebiliate shadow physics in a positive way, if the Spartax actually made a fleet with that variation of Vibranium. T'challa could render it inert. Probably will never get to that point though.
    SO LET THIS BE A LESSON. LEARN. YOUR. PLACE. - Prince Freeman

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post

this is some #fireremender business..
    Except for the fact it was nothing like that.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Except for the fact it was nothing like that.
    This. Has anyone beside me and SoB actually looked at the twitter conversation. It was down right more amicable than some of our own conversations in the thread!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    This is some #fireremender business.....
    FriendRoss, as I wasn't really sure what this "#fireremender" meant when I read your initial post, I didn't comment on it but now that I've familiarized myself with the history behind said meme, I have to ask whether you've seen any posts in this thread (made by myself or anyone else) indicating that Kelly Sue DeConnick be fired?

I ask this question due to the fact that there have been a few posts expressing "concern" for Ms DeConnick possibly being subjected to "dogpiling" or other forms of online harrasement by readers curious as to what her Vibranium angle is and how said angle will play itself out in the Captan Marvel book that she's currently scripting.

I've looked at and contributed to Ms DeConnick's Twitter feed and exchanged cordial messages with her without incident as have other BP enthusiasts who've acually bothered to engage her in conversation. (as opposed to baseless speculating)

Unlike some, most of the posters in this thread know how to comport themselves when engaging writers in genuinely open discourse as was ably proven when David Liss actively participated in friendly dialogue with BP enthusiasts on CBR when he was writing the Black Panther:Man Without Fear book that was vastly unpopular amongst fans who'd been severely burnt by Maberry's Doomwar.

David Liss superb interaction with fans within BP Appreciation threads eventually won many over to such a degree that even I decided to give the book a chance despite the whole American Panther brouhaha.

Liss's Mystery Men book was also well recieved by BP fans and as far as fans remaining unresponsive to T'Challa taking over as "Guardian of Hell's Kitchen" let's not forget the Daredevil afficianados upset with what they saw as Black Panther "hijacking" DD's book and their subsequent cancellation of subscriptions to said book whilst T'Challa was headlining.

Miss DeConnick is free to use whatever tropes she chooses to but now she's hip to the fact that there are Black Panther enthusiasts who also enjoy purchasing and reading the Captain Marvel book she's currently writing.

We've positively engaged with a professional writer in a respectful manner as any sensible person would do, and it was a jolly good conversation too.

https://twitter.com/Mister_Bigby/sta...07419942727680

Unlike some, we don't go around asking for writers to be fired over BS just based off of scans and misinformation posted on message boards.

Peace.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 07-12-2014 at 04:33 PM.

I guess I can imagine a bunch of vibranium meteor fragments drifting off in space but if you have another established origin for vibranium deeply rooted in another character's canon and continuity this is troublesome!

Radioactive spider bites... Gamma radiated explosions... Super Soldier Serum enhancements... Cosmic rays... All these would come with some form of mandatory mention of the associated character but Black Panther seems to draw the short end of the stick because it is not afforded the same protection that other characters receive to protect their brands!

If Black Panther was surfing the galaxy on a silver surfboard without one reference to Norrin Radd that would cause many raised eyebrows... Sure you could claim that there were more than one silver surfboard or even call him the The Black Surfer but that would miss the obvious point!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Notice Geoff Johns kept Aquaman out of Atlantis for almost his entire run on the character.
    Do you mean new52, his only as far as I know, run? Where major arcs of the story where: who sunk Atlantis, hunt for artifacts from Atlantis, Throne of Atlantis crossover and Dead King of Atlantis? Even monsters from first arc were revealed to be important part of Atlantis at the end of his run. Sure he had adventures on land but everything had, in some way, connection to Atlantis.

Parkers run is same in this regard where land adventures happen and are important but everything ties back to Atlantis. New series by Jurgen with Others is also dealing with Atlantis legacy in first arc.

Frankly I get your point, but I think you could have used a better example.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Do you mean new52, his only as far as I know, run? Where major arcs of the story where: who sunk Atlantis, hunt for artifacts from Atlantis, Throne of Atlantis crossover and Dead King of Atlantis? Even monsters from first arc were revealed to be important part of Atlantis at the end of his run. Sure he had adventures on land but everything had, in some way, connection to Atlantis.

Parkers run is same in this regard where land adventures happen and are important but everything ties back to Atlantis. New series by Jurgen with Others is also dealing with Atlantis legacy in first arc.

Frankly I get your point, but I think you could have used a better example.
    Nah, I'm good.

My point was that Aquaman wasn't in Atlantis for pretty much the entirety of Geoff run and that was clear enough.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Realistically BP can improve anything he wants and Stark won't lose relavence. Starks relavence isn't defined by that.
    Another straw man/false equivalency argument for the soimple fact that regardless of whatever improvements T'Challa would theoretically make, the original Repulsor technology would still have originated from Stark himself based on established canon.

When Wakandan technological advancements and creations that T'Challa is directly responsible for developing are ascribed to other characters without acknowledgement of the Wakandan point of origin the relevance is obscured and (in the case of the movies) erased.

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    I guess I can imagine a bunch of vibranium meteor fragments drifting off in space but if you have another established origin for vibranium deeply rooted in another character's canon and continuity this is troublesome!

Radioactive spider bites... Gamma radiated explosions... Super Soldier Serum enhancements... Cosmic rays... All these would come with some form of mandatory mention of the associated character but Black Panther seems to draw the short end of the stick because it is not afforded the same protection that other characters receive to protect their brands!

If Black Panther was surfing the galaxy on a silver surfboard without one reference to Norrin Radd that would cause many raised eyebrows... Sure you could claim that there were more than one silver surfboard or even call him the The Black Surfer but that would miss the obvious point!
    A courtesy shout out to Wakanda might have been nice yeah.

Ultimately I think the CM book just needed a special metal of some sort to use in the story, and vibranium fit the bill well as it's from outer space. In hindsight perhaps she should have simply used a different metal to avoid the potential excess baggage. I would still argue that using vibranium is GOOD for Black Panther even if it's not mentioned, but it plants potential seeds that can be used later even if not much is done here. You have a potential connection made that didn't exist before, and even if Kelly doesn't exploit that someone else can.

So yeah... I don't think from a narrative standpoint there was a legitimate obligation to mention Wakanda, as this had nothing to do with them. But it might have been nice to see. They IMO at least did nothing wrong here strictly speaking ... but a shout out wouldn't have hurt one bit.

Invincible Member

The CM story doesn't really seem to be about the origins of Vibranium, though. It's the McGuffin in a space war story.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    A courtesy shout out to Wakanda might have been nice yeah.

Ultimately I think the CM book just needed a special metal of some sort to use in the story, and vibranium fit the bill well as it's from outer space. In hindsight perhaps she should have simply used a different metal to avoid the potential excess baggage. I would still argue that using vibranium is GOOD for Black Panther even if it's not mentioned, but it plants potential seeds that can be used later even if not much is done here. You have a potential connection made that didn't exist before, and even if Kelly doesn't exploit that someone else can.

So yeah... I don't think from a narrative standpoint there was a legitimate obligation to mention Wakanda, as this had nothing to do with them. But it might have been nice to see. They IMO at least did nothing wrong here strictly speaking ... but a shout out wouldn't have hurt one bit.
    Beautifully put; and I agree with everything. A "shout out" would be nice, but isn't required. It's a GOOD thing Wakanda stuff is featuring in comics outside of BP, but yeah (sadly)... might have been less baggage to just make up a new alloy and ignore Wakanda things. Which (in my mind) is NOT what we want to see happen, but possibly what we might be heading for.