Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I can well understand BP's fans feeling snubbed and marginalised by this move. I suspect it stems from Marvel wanting to up vibranium's profile as a super-metal as opposed to relying on adamantium, which is now off-limits to them in the movies... and Marvel is all about the movies now. I get that there is no actual reason for BP or Wakanda to be a part of the story, but as a courtesy Black Panther and Wankanda should at least have been name-checked, which I'm guessing didn't happen.
    To be quite honest with you, as a BP enthusiast, I was initially nonplussed by the Vibranium angle as depicted in Kelly ue DeConnick's Captain Marvel.

I found it jarring for the simple fact that most tropes associated with the Black Panther mythos within the 616 MU narrative have a) either been totally ignored or b) misused with, T'Challa and his people being summarily misrepresented and used whenever non-BP centred writers needed convenient characters to portray as being overly xenophobic or generally unpleasant to be around.

Having taken the time to reach out to Ms DeConnick on the subject, I'm more than satisfied that she did the necessary research into Vibranium as an integral part of the overarching 616 MU and as such, had zero negative intentions in utilizing this particular trope for the story she's telling in the Captain Marvel book.

For all we know, she may very well have Carol interacting with either T'Challa or Shuri (his sister) in the near or distant future and that would be uber-cool.

As far as the Adamantium issue in the MCU is concerned, as Dabrikishaw pointed out, this fictional metal is public domain so it's proposed usage in the second Avengers movie may very well be a way to introduce T'Challa and his mysterious nation to a wider audience beyond the boundaries of the printed page.

Ultimate Member

Not seeing the problem here, at all really. Vibranium originally being from space is an established thing by this point. So being outraged that there's more of it in space doesn't work for me. Complaining that they're using it in a book SET IN SPACE really makes no sense to me. Also, every single story involving Vibranium doesn't need to feature BP, just like every story involving Adamantium doesn't have to involve Wolverine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Not seeing the problem here, at all really. Vibranium originally being from space is an established thing by this point. So being outraged that there's more of it in space doesn't work for me. Complaining that they're using it in a book SET IN SPACE really makes no sense to me. Also, every single story involving Vibranium doesn't need to feature BP, just like every story involving Adamantium doesn't have to involve Wolverine.
    I don't think anyone currently posting in this thread has argued that Wakandan Vibranium originated from anywhere other than outer space.

What has been broached though, is the undeniable fact that Wakandan Vibranium is an established trope and integral aspect of the Black Panther mythos in much the same way that Stark Tech, Uru Metal, Gamma radiation, Radioactive Spider bites and the aforementioned Adamantium are for the respective characters associated with these tropes.

I wouldn't expect any of the tropes that I've highlighted to be utilized in a BP book without an appearance or even peripheral mention of the corresponding character and I certainly wouldn't see any problem with anyone raising concerns where there has been clear evidence of the strip mining of one intellectual property for the benefit of another.

Kelly Sue DeConnick has expressed her appreciation for the Black Panther via her Twitter account and clearly dilineated her position as regards the Vibranium angle currently being chronicled in Captain Marvel.

That's good enough for me.

BANNED

Marvel: Battle for Vibranium, very interesting. I can see what I am missing out on now!

I think Constrictor's coils are presently made with Vibranium if I'm not mistaken (I believe the previous ones were adamantium). If BP gets a shout out everytime Constrictor shows up, I'm cool with that... but if not I wouldn't give it a second though either.

Stuff like adamantium and vibranium overtime is going to get around the MU. And I don't think writers need to feel obligated to use Wolverine and Black Panther every single time that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I haven't read this whole thread, but what I have read has very little sense in it until now. I don't understand how using Vibranium (there's no origin for it in this story) in a story that doesn't involve Black Panther is a problem. Vibranium was introduced originally in the Savage Land, so it's not even originally a Wakanda thing. People are reacting to something that doesn't even exist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I haven't read this whole thread, but what I have read has very little sense in it until now. I don't understand how using Vibranium (there's no origin for it in this story) in a story that doesn't involve Black Panther is a problem. Vibranium was introduced originally in the Savage Land, so it's not even originally a Wakanda thing. People are reacting to something that doesn't even exist.
    Has anyone in this thread stated that:

a) Wakandan Vibranium was the first variety launched in the 616 MU?
    b) Wakandan Vibranium is the only iteration of that exists in the 616 MU?

Are you even aware that Antarctican Vibranium and Wakandan Vibranium are two different fictional metals with individually properties unique to each, or that each iteration was introduced within 7 months of the other in 1966?

The debate (if it can even be called that at this point) revolves around the Vibranium currently playing a part in Captain Marvel #5.

Having read said issue, it's pretty obvious that the version Kelly Sue DeConnick has utilized is not the Anti-Metal iteration prevalent in Antarctica which for the most part, isn't the version that usually comes to mind when Vibranium gets a mention in 616 MU based stories.

Ms DeConnick is a writer who I have a great deal of respect for and as I've mentioned previously in this thread, I'm more than happy with what she's dtated on Twitter in response to questions raised with her on the subject.

Peace.

Cap's origin was incorporated into the whole Weapon Plus thing over in X-Men. The Cosmic Rays the gave the FF their powers also gave the U-Foes their a powers in a Hulk issue.

This kind of stuff happens all the time.

The only way I would see this as a problem is if the story in Captain Marvel changes vibration or the use of containing in such a way as to impact it's place in BP lore. Which it doesn't seem to, but the story just started, and I haven't read it myself, just the synopsis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    Cap's origin was incorporated into the whole Weapon Plus thing over in X-Men. The Cosmic Rays the gave the FF their powers also gave the U-Foes their a powers in a Hulk issue.

The only way I would see this as a problem is if the story in Captain Marvel changes vibration or the use of containing in such a way as to impact it's place in BP lore. Which it doesn't seem to, but the story just started, and I haven't read it myself, just the synopsis.
    To be frank, you've raised a really cool point here in that the story has only just started.

I'm interested in seeing where Ms DeConnick goes with this development as I'm sure she has something special in store for interested readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    As far as the Adamantium issue in the MCU is concerned, as Dabrikishaw pointed out, this fictional metal is public domain so it's proposed usage in the second Avengers movie may very well be a way to introduce T'Challa and his mysterious nation to a wider audience beyond the boundaries of the printed page.
    Ah, I thought I read somewhere that Fox owned the rights to Adamantium in the movies. Interesting. I kind of assumed that Marvel was replacing Adamantium with Vibranium in its film properties because of this, but perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick there.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post

For all we know it's not even the same kind of vibranium. On earth alone there are 2 variants. And it sorta looks different from the Wakandan kind. Though it could just be an artist thing.

Back in Greg Rucka's Punisher run, he at one point had the Punisher get his hands on one of Spider-Man's webshooters, and use it to get from one building to another. No mention was made of Spider-Man in that story.

By the logic of this thread, Rucka was wrong to do so. That, because his webshooters are such a major part of his background, no writer should ever be allowed to use one without Spider-Man himself being present.

This is such a ridiculous thing to complain about. Black Panther is not Vibranium, and Vibranium is not the Black Panther. They are separate things. Yeah, they were introduced together, they're a part of each other's mythos. But there is absolutely no reason why Vibranium can't show up in a story that doesn't involve the Black Panther. That's like saying SHIELD can't show up in a story without Nick Fury.

The story needed a fancy metal. Vibranium already existed as a space-based metal. Black Panther has nothing to do with the Vibranium in question, nothing to do with the political situation, and absolutely no reason, at all, to show up. Frankly, it's not even worth really referencing him - it just would've been shoe-horned in to satisfy the handful of people who apparently think that Vibranium should never ever ever be used or even referenced unless the story is all about the Black Panther.

Absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Back in Greg Rucka's Punisher run, he at one point had the Punisher get his hands on one of Spider-Man's webshooters, and use it to get from one building to another. No mention was made of Spider-Man in that story.

By the logic of this thread, Rucka was wrong to do so. That, because his webshooters are such a major part of his background, no writer should ever be allowed to use one without Spider-Man himself being present.

This is such a ridiculous thing to complain about. Black Panther is not Vibranium, and Vibranium is not the Black Panther. They are separate things. Yeah, they were introduced together, they're a part of each other's mythos. But there is absolutely no reason why Vibranium can't show up in a story that doesn't involve the Black Panther. That's like saying SHIELD can't show up in a story without Nick Fury.

The story needed a fancy metal. Vibranium already existed as a space-based metal. Black Panther has nothing to do with the Vibranium in question, nothing to do with the political situation, and absolutely no reason, at all, to show up. Frankly, it's not even worth really referencing him - it just would've been shoe-horned in to satisfy the handful of people who apparently think that Vibranium should never ever ever be used or even referenced unless the story is all about the Black Panther.

Absurd.
    We get it.

Given Dooms mastery over vibranium, I'm actually kind of hoping he shows up in this story now. Not that I'm expecting it. But you'd think he'd be looking elsewhere for it after T'Challa rendered the Wakandan stuff inert. Ah well... maybe a story for another day.

BANNED

I read 10 pages of this thread, and nobody seems to have brought up the fact that this is not the "origin of vibranium" many have spoken of. Torfa is a planet with vibranium ore, and Spartax relocated a people onto the planet for the express purpose of forcing them to mine it.

Unless they directly stated that the metal came from one place (in which case the rest of this paragraph is moot), there never will be an "origin" of vibranium. It isn't Kryptonite, there wasn't a vibranium planet that exploded vibranium all over the universe. It's written like a metallic ore, which means that it formed in rocks during planetary formation eons ago just like iron or copper (though the important part is that Wakandan Vibranium is from an asteroid, not an earth-ore).