Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Back in Greg Rucka's Punisher run, he at one point had the Punisher get his hands on one of Spider-Man's webshooters, and use it to get from one building to another. No mention was made of Spider-Man in that story.

By the logic of this thread, Rucka was wrong to do so. That, because his webshooters are such a major part of his background, no writer should ever be allowed to use one without Spider-Man himself being present.

This is such a ridiculous thing to complain about. Black Panther is not Vibranium, and Vibranium is not the Black Panther. They are separate things. Yeah, they were introduced together, they're a part of each other's mythos. But there is absolutely no reason why Vibranium can't show up in a story that doesn't involve the Black Panther. That's like saying SHIELD can't show up in a story without Nick Fury.

The story needed a fancy metal. Vibranium already existed as a space-based metal. Black Panther has nothing to do with the Vibranium in question, nothing to do with the political situation, and absolutely no reason, at all, to show up. Frankly, it's not even worth really referencing him - it just would've been shoe-horned in to satisfy the handful of people who apparently think that Vibranium should never ever ever be used or even referenced unless the story is all about the Black Panther.

Absurd.
    You mean other than the fact that it was Spider-Man's web shooter?
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 07-13-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    I read 10 pages of this thread, and nobody seems to have brought up the fact that this is not the "origin of vibranium" many have spoken of. Torfa is a planet with vibranium ore, and Spartax relocated a people onto the planet for the express purpose of forcing them to mine it.

Unless they directly stated that the metal came from one place (in which case the rest of this paragraph is moot), there never will be an "origin" of vibranium. It isn't Kryptonite, there wasn't a vibranium planet that exploded vibranium all over the universe. It's written like a metallic ore, which means that it formed in rocks during planetary formation eons ago just like iron or copper (though the important part is that Wakandan Vibranium is from an asteroid, not an earth-ore).
    If it's a naturally occuring element (and I guess in theory we don't know that for sure) then I suppose it's possible there could be dozens and dozens of planets with the stuff on it. I guess we'll never know for sure until someone decides to address the issue one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    Cap's origin was incorporated into the whole Weapon Plus thing over in X-Men. The Cosmic Rays the gave the FF their powers also gave the U-Foes their a powers in a Hulk issue.

This kind of stuff happens all the time.

The only way I would see this as a problem is if the story in Captain Marvel changes vibration or the use of containing in such a way as to impact it's place in BP lore. Which it doesn't seem to, but the story just started, and I haven't read it myself, just the synopsis.
    So you're citing two instances that DID specifically reference other characters mythos as a reason why it's unimportant to to do the same in this circumstance?

Also, as far as Weapon Plus goes Cap was Weapon I. If anything that's the opposite, it incorporates Wolverine and the Weapon project as a continuation of Captain America's mythos and was handled in a Wolverine related storyline.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 07-13-2014 at 09:37 PM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    You mean other than the fact that it was Spider-Man's web shooter.
    Which was never mentioned on-panel in the comic I'm referring to.

Which was never mentioned on-panel in the comic I'm referring to.
    I'll take your word for it. I've only read Punisher MAX.
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    So you're citing two instances that DID specifically reference other characters mythos as a reason why it's unimportant to to do the same in this circumstance?

Also, as far as Weapon Plus goes Cap was Weapon I. If anything that's the opposite, it incorporates Wolverine and the Weapon project as a continuation of Captain America's mythos and was handled in a Wolverine related storyline.
    I never said it was unimportant. I can understand Majestik's and other BP fans' concerns about the story. I just think that it will likely not impact Wakandan vibranium in any significant way. It won't change vibranium's place in BP or the larger Marvel lore.

What I was showing with my examples (or trying to show) is that pieces of one characters lore, even central ones, are sometimes used in other books for other characters.

With Cap and the weapon plus program, I do see it as hijacking cap's origin and connecting it to Wolverine's. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing....but that's a major retcon for Cap's origin, and it happened in a New X-Men story and Cap didn't even make an appearance.

So in that sense, it matches up pretty well with the vibranium story taking place in Captain Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Ah, I thought I read somewhere that Fox owned the rights to Adamantium in the movies. Interesting. I kind of assumed that Marvel was replacing Adamantium with Vibranium in its film properties because of this, but perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick there.
    I was just going by what Dabrikishaw said.

For all we know, you may very well be right.

BANNED

Back in Greg Rucka's Punisher run, he at one point had the Punisher get his hands on one of Spider-Man's webshooters, and use it to get from one building to another. No mention was made of Spider-Man in that story.

By the logic of this thread, Rucka was wrong to do so. That, because his webshooters are such a major part of his background, no writer should ever be allowed to use one without Spider-Man himself being present.

This is such a ridiculous thing to complain about. Black Panther is not Vibranium, and Vibranium is not the Black Panther. They are separate things. Yeah, they were introduced together, they're a part of each other's mythos. But there is absolutely no reason why Vibranium can't show up in a story that doesn't involve the Black Panther. That's like saying SHIELD can't show up in a story without Nick Fury.

The story needed a fancy metal. Vibranium already existed as a space-based metal. Black Panther has nothing to do with the Vibranium in question, nothing to do with the political situation, and absolutely no reason, at all, to show up. Frankly, it's not even worth really referencing him - it just would've been shoe-horned in to satisfy the handful of people who apparently think that Vibranium should never ever ever be used or even referenced unless the story is all about the Black Panther.

Absurd.

Dude, there's nothing absurd about holding a different opinion so there's really no need for you to try to diminish other peoples viewpoints.

Wakandan Vibranium has been part and parcel of the Black Panther mythos from day one and as others have pointed out virtually every hero/villain within the MU has a signature trope associated with them.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear about Gamma Radiation or Cosmic Rays are in the first instance, the Incredible Hulk and the Fantastic Four bu then upon further rumination the Abomination and a host of other Gamma irradiated characters such as Jennifer Walters and the Leader come to mind all of whom tie into the Gamma Radiation theme central to the Hulks world.

As far as Cosmic Rays go other than the Fantastic Four, the U-Foes come to mind as a warped variation on the Fantastic Four with the aforementioned Cosmic Rays playing a major part in both groups origin dynamic.

Does that mean that no other writer can use the Gamma Radiation/Comic Ray trope in stories unrelated to the Hulk or the Fantastic Four?

Of course not.

But there's no denying the fact that readers familiar with both tropes would at least first think of the characters most asociated with both tropes whether aid characters appeared or were even peripherally referenced within whatever story the writer was crafting.

Vibranium for the most part, tends to most closely associated with T'Challa and Wakanda and to be quite frank, Kazar, the Savage Land and Antarctica never cross my mind when said metal is referenced. (and yes, I am aware that the two types of Vibranium have different properties.)

As far as the Vibranium on display in the Captain Marvel book is concerned, it's higly unlikely that it's of the Anti-Metal variety especially as J'Son requires the alloy for his fleet.

In the long run, I'm sure Ms DeConnick will continue to explore things to their logical conclussion within the book.

Peace.

Hopefully by the time we get another Black Panther series(please, please) this story will be retconned out, by just saying it was actually just a far moon of the true source of Vibranium.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    Hopefully by the time we get another Black Panther series(please, please) this story will be retconned out, by just saying it was actually just a far moon of the true source of Vibranium.
    The story never actually explicitly states that this is the one true source of vibranium. Heck, nothing ever stated that there even was a single true source of the stuff. If it's a naturally occuring element (and obviously we don't know that it is), there could be dozens of worlds with deposits of vibranium on it.

The issue as a whole was never really addressed.

BANNED

Lol fan over reaction is so fun to watch.

Vibranium being mentioned in other places is nothing but a good thing for the Black Panther. It's a shared universe the more the facets of your fav character is mentioned in other places only increases the relvants of said character. If the character is barely mentioned anywhere outside of his or her own tittle the less other fans have to care about said character.

Really not sure why this is so hard to understand.....
    Last edited by Trident; 07-14-2014 at 09:33 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

It was only ever important to backwater hicks from Earth.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    It was only ever important to backwater hicks from Earth.
    Like Dr Doom?

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Lol fan over reaction is so fun to watch.

Vibranium being mentioned in other places is nothing but a good thing for the Black Panther. It's a shared universe the more the facets of your fav character is mentioned in other places only increases the relvants of said character. If the character is barely mentioned anywhere outside of his or her own tittle the less other fans have to care about said character.

Really not sure why this is so hard to understand.....
    Having a villain use a Vibranium weapon in another book is one thing, giving the origin to it is another thing all together. Having a villain powered by the super solider serum is one thing, saying that it was actually this other supporting character in a Guardians of the Galaxy who's back story says that it wasn't Erskin who invented the super soldier serum, it was this guy, is whole other thing entirely, and that's whats happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Like Dr Doom?
    Or the Avengers, or Captian America, or The Falcon, Etc....
    Pull List: