Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Here's a better, but still imperfect, analogy. If a story came out where for some reason sea water became toxic and crippled Atlantis you'd want to see a story that involved a new source of sea water involve Namor, or SOMEONE from Atlantis. It would be weird to have that story happen in.. I dunno Venom, without even a nod to the stuff that happened to Atlantis.
    So, Wakanda became crippled in Captain Marvel's story? I thought Wakanda wasn't even mentioned.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Then you might want to direct your question to a mod as the thread and the choice of title have nothing to do with me.

I initiated neither.
    It wasn't a question. It was agreement with SoB about the discussion being taken out of the BP thread. You started the discussion with the initial post in the BP thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    So, Wakanda became crippled in Captain Marvel's story? I thought Wakanda wasn't even mentioned.

I'm not sure how you read that analogy as me saying Wakanda became crippled in CM.

Vibranium, Wakanda's chief resource was rendered inert in Doomwar.

In Captain Marvel a new source was discovered.

If they did thought bubbles still I'd have been satified if CM had said "I wonder if the Wakandans know about this."
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 07-14-2014 at 11:34 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

Here's a better, but still imperfect, analogy. If a story came out where for some reason sea water became toxic and crippled Atlantis you'd want to see a story that involved a new source of sea water involve Namor, or SOMEONE from Atlantis. It would be weird to have that story happen in.. I dunno Venom, without even a nod to the stuff that happened to Atlantis.
    I'm not sure how you read that analogy as me saying Wakanda became crippled in CM.

You're making way to much sense here but at this point, it is what it is.

I'm more than happy with Ms DeConnick's take on the Vibranium topic and look forward to seeing how things play themselves out in the next few issues of Captain Marvel.

Peace.

BANNED

And Hickman hand waved that 'inert' Doomwar stuff, and Wakanda has plenty of vibranium now.

Your analogy doesn't work, since you are actually putting Atlantis in the story. CM isn't using Wakanda in the story at all -- which is your complaint.

BANNED

It wasn't a question. It was agreement with SoB about the discussion being taken out of the BP thread. You started the discussion with the initial post in the BP thread.
    I was merely pointing out that I did not start this thread or have any input into it's title.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    I was merely pointing out that I did not start this thread or have any input into it's title.
    I never said you did.

Well if nothing else this got me to buy the last few issues of CM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

Lol so true

Which is another reason why using character elements from other character is usually a good idea. But I'm sure some will not see that and just ignore it for their own purposes.

BANNED

I never said you did.
    I never said you said that either.

I merely used the point you raised as a platform from which to point out that the thread was not of my making.

Maybe it's time that Black Panther had a brand new origin separate from vibranium... Perhaps a new metal is "unobtanium" taken?

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Unobtanium

Despite all the rants for or against the use of vibranium one should at least respect the canon as it is attached to a character that often times can't seem to catch a break when it needs one to protect it's intellectual property from further infringement!

If you are a fan of said character then there would naturally be a concern for things associated with that character especially since this is not the first time important concepts were taken from him and altered for accreditation to other characters!

A vibranium meteor hit Wakanda and set things off from there so if it is made to be a substance as plentiful as air, water and fire then it is time to deconstruct that origin and make up a new one so that every tom, dick and harry can now freely play with their own vibranium rocks!

If a particular character's origin does not matter in the long run to others then that character should be set up somewhere else and left alone!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Also, science time: Assuming vibranium is its own element rather than an alloy (reasonable given its presence in meteor deposits), then its "origin" is the same as that of all the other heavy elements: in supernovas. So it could occur naturally lots of places in the universe.
    This indeed. The prospect of there being one single source of any substance in the universe is... Odd. The important thing is that Earth does not have any naturally occurring deposits of vibranium. As long as earth vibranium comes from the Wakandan meteor deposits, BP's connection is intact.

I have read this thread from the beginning. It's a whole lot of complaining about the use of Vibranium without BP, about how 'unique' elements of his mythos are allegedly being strip mined to prop up other characters. Ironic karma indeed. Of course, we've seen that vibranium is NOT unique to Wakanda nor is it what makes BP special.

That said, I understand why BP fans are complaining. I've complained about the same sort of things. Here's what I finally had to accept. Whatever you are complaining about, it's not in the story, because it's not the story the writer wants to tell.

So, complain away. But understand, what's happening to BP is the same thing that happens to ALL characters in a shared universe. BP isn't being singled out, nor is he exempt.
    Truthfully I think if vibranium ends up playing any sort of role in the Avengers movie, I think we'll be seeing it show up a LOT more. And while that likely will create more opportunities to use the Black Panther, it will likely also create more opportunities where vibranium might be used without T'Challa in the story.

So to SOME degree, I do think people may have to come to terms with the fact that vibranium might be more than just a Wakandan thing (even though it always has and will continue to have a strong connection to Wakanda and the Black Panther mythos). Once Wolverine got really popular adamanium (and healing factors for that matter) started becoming fashionable, and I can easily see the Avengers movie being the catalyst for a similar trend with vibranium.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    This indeed. The prospect of there being one single source of any substance in the universe is... Odd. The important thing is that Earth does not have any naturally occurring deposits of vibranium. As long as earth vibranium comes from the Wakandan meteor deposits, BP's connection is intact.
    That sort of reminded me of an old Alpha Flight story back in the day where Diable found a means of creating vibranium through alchemy and was planning on selling it to the world. Of course it wasn't a permanent process and he was trying to scan everyone.

But yeah... BP's connection to it is and always will be something unique and special. Even if there are other sources, for him it's more than just a power source or a rock.

Yeah, I do imagine the drama did motivate a few people here and there who may not have been reading this book to at least check out the vibranium parts. Funny how that can work.