Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Yes, a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Yes, a long time!
    I think vibranium deputed in the 1960's. So if no one else was going to tell a story on where the stuff comes from, I think by THIS point it's fair game for the Captain Marvel book, or any other book for that matter, to explore the issue.

As a reader I'll admit I was somewhat curious about it.

Extraordinary Member

Agreed. Especially in this modern age.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Everyone uses Klaw that's how he became a joke
    Klaw STARTED out as an F.F. character just as Black Panther started out as a F.F supporting character.

Every F.F. villan that isnt Doom or Galactus is a joke now as F.F. got better at what they did only those two were able to keep up(or those are the only two villian FF writers give a rat's ass about-take your pick).

For 90% of Black Panther's history Vibranium was just the reason B.P. and Wakanda were so rich and NOT the source of his power.

That was the Heart Shaped Herb.

That "Black Panther is constantly armed with Vibranium this or that" stuff started with Priest. Reg gave T'Challa a slightly different arsenal and Mayberry gave Shuri different arsenal altogether.

Once this story ends what exactly will change for B.P. place in the Marvel Universe? Nothing.

Nobody ever said that Wakanda was the ONLY Place in the Universe where you could get the stuff.

It wasn't even the only place you could get it on Earth. The Savage Land has ben around almost a long as Wakanda in comics (I don't care enough to look up which was first).

This isn't the violation you all want to think it is but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Agreed. Especially in this modern age.
    I also suppose it's possible that they might be using vibranium in some small way in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, and this might be a way to introduce that idea of it being in space (though obviously it was always supposed to be from space anyways).

I think in the cineverse era of marvel, small things can potentially tie everything together. Just mentioning vibranium in a Guardians movie could potentially lead Thanos to searching for more of it on earth in an Avengers movie, which in turn could mean the usage of Black Panther and Wakanda. Of course all that is speculation, but I think creating those ties can potentially work that way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I imagine many readers would be a tad confused over Black Panther selling uru hammers Home Depot. Why would he be wasting uru on hardware tools, and why is the former king of a wealthy nation selling them at Hope Depot? At least on it's face, it wouldn't necessarily make sense and I do think a lot of readers would respond negatively to that. Though I suppose some might also find it funny.

In THIS case though, I think it makes sense. More sense than uru hammers at Home Depot at least. Vibranium comes from space, so I think it's understandable that alien races might use the stuff. Again, I'm frankly surprised it took this long to really base a story on that.
    but why would an alien call the metal vibranium? And since no-one even thought of its space origins till I mentioned it..i can weigh in on this one.

Extraordinary Member

I also suppose it's possible that they might be using vibranium in some small way in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, and this might be a way to introduce that idea of it being in space (though obviously it was always supposed to be from space anyways).

I think in the cineverse era of marvel, small things can potentially tie everything together. Just mentioning vibranium in a Guardians movie could potentially lead Thanos to searching for more of it on earth in an Avengers movie, which in turn could mean the usage of Black Panther and Wakanda. Of course all that is speculation, but I think creating those ties can potentially work that way.
    Thats not a bad idea!

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    but why would an alien call the metal vibranium? And since no-one even thought of its space origins till I mentioned it..i can weigh in on this one.
    They probably didn't call it vibranium. They probably called it whatever the word is in their alien language... but since comic book readers don't speak alien languages the writers have graciously decided to translate their words in english.

It's the norm in sci-fi. Everything is translated into english so the viewers can actually understand it. It's like asking why they call the things they fly around in "space ships." Odds are Kree and Skrulls have an entirely different word for space ship in their language, but the words we're going to read on the page are still "space ship."

Extraordinary Member

"Why are they all speaking english in space?" if we are going to go there.

Would having some talking Computer explain to Captain Marvel (and the readers) that say, Boromite is actually what Humans on Earth call Vibrainium make the story any better?

At this point I'd say it a tad premature to know whether it does either.
    Agreed. And it could still link to BP down the line; the aliens could come after Wakanda, T'Challa could begin trade with them, etc. Many options; best to be positive and see the good potential not the possible bad.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Agreed. And it could still link to BP down the line; the aliens could come after Wakanda, T'Challa could begin trade with them, etc. Many options; best to be positive and see the good potential not the possible bad.
    In the MCU. We could have Thanos sending his men to 'barter' with T'Challa. He accepts, but both are tricking each other, and it leads to bigger stuff.

BANNED

I imagine many readers would be a tad confused over Black Panther selling uru hammers Home Depot. Why would he be wasting uru on hardware tools, and why is the former king of a wealthy nation selling them at Hope Depot? At least on it's face, it wouldn't necessarily make sense and I do think a lot of readers would respond negatively to that. Though I suppose some might also find it funny.

In THIS case though, I think it makes sense. More sense than uru hammers at Home Depot at least. Vibranium comes from space, so I think it's understandable that alien races might use the stuff. Again, I'm frankly surprised it took this long to really base a story on that.
    Does it make sense for these alien races to call said metal Vibranium too?

The origin of Vibranium has never been explored within a Black Panther book beyond the point of the Vibranium meteor crashing to Earth within Wakanda's borders and though it can be argued that previous BP scribes have not explored this particular story to date, none of what you've typed here changes the fact that an etablished trope synonymous with the Black Panther mythos for decades ha now been incorporated by Kelly Sue DeConnick a part of the ongoing narrative within the Captain Marvel book.

Set against the backdrop of the wholesale strip mining of other Wakanda-centric tropes and attribution of same to other Marvel Intellectual properties this can only be seen as the continuation of a somewhat troubling trend that would be problematic and totally unnaceptable to some if let's say Tony Stark's tech was missapropriated by T'Challa and then repackaged a purely Wakandan inspired.

As an Iron Man enthusiast, I'd be just as pissed off.

I see no reason why the consternation felt by some BP fans as regards this latest development, should raise any eyebrows.

Uru and Adamantium are two metals associated with Thor, Wolverine and Ultron respectively as signature aspects of those characters specific mythos in much the ame way that Wakandan Vibranium has alway been an intrinsic part of the BP mythos so a lot of the arguments in support of this development within the Captain Marvel book sans reference to T'Challa and Wakanda are tenuous for the most part and somewhat bogus to say the least.

This development benefits the BP mythos in no way whatsoever and is more indicative of the general lack of creativity that now blights a sizable portion of the maintream comic book industry.

A lack of creativity fueled by lackadaisical editorial and writers who don't always think things through to their logical conclusions.

BANNED

They probably didn't call it vibranium. They probably called it whatever the word is in their alien language... but since comic book readers don't speak alien languages the writers have graciously decided to translate their words in english.

It's the norm in sci-fi. Everything is translated into english so the viewers can actually understand it. It's like asking why they call the things they fly around in "space ships." Odds are Kree and Skrulls have an entirely different word for space ship in their language, but the words we're going to read on the page are still "space ship."
    No but comic book readers are smart enough to want alien language parenthesis or editor note that says Vibranium instead of hamfisting English as an alien language. But reader standards are so low these days, they probably don't mind.

No but comic book readers are smart enough to want alien language parenthesis or editor note that says Vibranium instead of hamfisting English as an alien language. But reader standards are so low these days, they probably don't mind.
    To me complaining about aliens using the word "vibranium" is like aliens using the word "the." Chances are the word "the" doesn't exist in any alien language either, but it's still used and most readers probably don't need editorial notes explaining everytime the word "the" appears on print out of an aliens mouth.

It's sci-fi and english usage by aliens is PRETTY MUCH the norm.

BANNED

To me complaining about aliens using the word "vibranium" is like aliens using the word "the." Chances are the word "the" doesn't exist in any alien language either, but it's still used and most readers probably don't need editorial notes explaining everytime the word "the" appears on print out of an aliens mouth.

It's sci-fi and english usage by aliens is PRETTY MUCH the norm.
    Again. Its not the word..its the language. is it so hard to put sentences in brackets add an Astrix that says alien language? Maybe modern readers would be confused by more words.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 07-11-2014 at 07:31 AM.