Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Default [SPOILERS] Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #3

So, a quick summary: Peter gets back from his date to catch up with Teresa, and then decides to take her along to fight Kingpin (who he suspects is behind the Starkphones). Since Teresa will be vulnerable if she goes along, Peter takes her to the Mason to get a tech upgrade - which amounts to a Falcon knockoff flying suit and a special gun with various non-lethal types of bullets (which reminded me of Peter's different web fluid settings for his webshooters, for some reason). Then, Peter, Teresa, and Johnny storm Kingpin's house, but Kingpin makes it seem like his Starkphone venture is legal, and calls the cops and his security team on the 3 heroes. Peter gets his ass kicked by Kingpin, and then we find out Tinkerer is the one who has been hacking the Starkphones. In the middle, we also do get some Family Business tie-ins and nods - does Kingpin still know Peter's secret identity? Finally, we see some government agents contacting Jameson and telling him that the new heroine seen alongside Spider-Man (Teresa) is a traitor to the country.

Anyways, I am personally still not enjoying this book whatsoever. Zdarsky seems to treat Peter with no reverence at all, and this can be seen in how useless Peter remains to this book. Once again, he literally does nothing but get beaten up by the Kingpin. If it wasn't for Teresa's connection to Peter, he would be completely superfluous. Zdarsky's "jokes" still continue to be at Peter's expense, rather than witty for all to enjoy. And Zdarsky's pet character, Mason, is even more annoying than all that Ock wanking Slott does over in ASM.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 08-23-2017 at 07:15 AM.

BANNED

HA, nice usages of the Tinkers, especially given the Homecoming appearance of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    HA, nice usages of the Tinkers, especially given the Homecoming appearance of the character.
    Yeah, I liked the Tinkerer getting a bit of an upgrade. The Mason is just so annoying though.

Started off not so bad. But then it went into heavy dialogues that actually don't amount to anything. Bad jokes. It almost sounds like a parody. Giving up now. This is just a bad book.

This wasn't as bad as issue 2. It was just dull.

I wonder why Teresa didn't consider wearing a mask while on the run and breaking into the home of a super villain who knows her.

Spidey fighting with the Kingpin and socking him was a definite highlight of the issue, but Zdarsky's characterization and dialogue for Peter just feels really rough to me .

Guess we're going to just leave it indefinitely ambiguous whether Kingpin knows Spider-Man's identity.

Seems Tinkerer is now a full-on technopath now. I was wondering when he'd turn up in this run.

Yeah, if they were going to equip Teresa with so much gear they probably should've put some kind of mask or cover on her face to obscure her identity.

I guess that just leaves Shocker as the only major Homecoming villain who hasn't popped up in a big way in a Spidey book (though he was in the Secret Empire Uncanny Avengers tie-in).

The Kingpin and secret identity thing could come into play later. Fisk wasn't joking about going legit, he's about to become the mayor over in Daredevil. Of course, that's a storyline Spider-Man can certainly be affected by.

JJJ looking at his comments waiting for the big hit, priceless.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    JJJ looking at his comments waiting for the big hit, priceless.
    That was legitimately the best part, in my opinion .

Does anyone else think that this book somewhat reads like a... parody?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Not at all. For me, as someone that started reading SM in the eighties, it's classic Spider Man updated to the current age.

I can't decide if it's just a bad book (Zdarsky is trying way, way, way too hard with the "humor") or if this is all tongue-in-cheek which suggests it's a parody much like Steven Colbert's character. I really can't decide.

Did Peter intentionally let Karnak in on his secret? This guy is insane.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

This is a very goofy and silly book. Especially in the dialogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    Not at all. For me, as someone that started reading SM in the eighties, it's classic Spider Man updated to the current age.
    That's Spectacular Spider-Man the cartoon .

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Did Peter intentionally let Karnak in on his secret? This guy is insane.
    I didn't notice that till you pointed it out, but holy **** WTAF was Zdarsky thinking?