Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    This book is SO bad. I hate that, too, because as far off as Slott's ASM has strayed, I was really hoping this book would be a good way to get some good, grounded, street level Spidey stories that we are accustomed to. But this Chip guy's writing sucks and Kubert is not a good fit on art for Spidey either. This book has zero redeeming value, IMO. As big of a Spidey fan as I am, I will probably drop it.
    What do you think is wrong with the artwork? (I'm asking since I liked Kubert's work on Slott's RYV miniseries, so I'm trying to picture what went wrong.)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    This book is SO bad. I hate that, too, because as far off as Slott's ASM has strayed, I was really hoping this book would be a good way to get some good, grounded, street level Spidey stories that we are accustomed to. But this Chip guy's writing sucks and Kubert is not a good fit on art for Spidey either. This book has zero redeeming value, IMO. As big of a Spidey fan as I am, I will probably drop it.

Exactly how I feel. 100%. I have been debating whether or not to give it another couple of issues but I don't know if I see anything changing....

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    What do you think is wrong with the artwork? (I'm asking since I liked Kubert's work on Slott's RYV miniseries, so I'm trying to picture what went wrong.)
    I wish I could say, because his art on RYV was really good. But Kubert has not been on his A-game at all on PP:SSM and it is NOT a good fit. It's odd, because it still looks and feels like Kubert art, but it just doesn't fit Spider-Man. It seems rushed or like he is phoning it in, which makes a huge difference.

BANNED

I'm just always so...confused reading this book. I can't grasp what tone its trying for, or what it wants to be, or anything. I don't get it. I don't get it!

Help!

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Well, it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this book is abysmal. Hopefully Zdarsky gets kicked off it sooner than later - maybe Conway (who's done RYV now) or Kelly (who's done SM/DP now) can fill the writer's role for this series instead?

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    I'm just always so...confused reading this book. I can't grasp what tone its trying for, or what it wants to be, or anything. I don't get it. I don't get it!

Help!

I understand that feeling. This is a really strange book; it was promoted as being "street level and back to basics" and Marvel finally resurrected the PP:SSM name for it, the title that clearly has the most value after ASM and contained the best stories of all the many satellite titles. And then? .......the 3 issues we have gotten so far have been a strange mashup of a new volume of Marvel Team-Up with scratchy, unfinished artwork and nonstop juvenile humor, a lost plot point from a graphic novel about a "sister" Peter has (but not really a sister) and no references at all to other Spidey continuity. Just a barrage of bad jokes and a strange sensation that this could be yet another alternate universe book. I don't get it either.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Well, it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this book is abysmal. Hopefully Zdarsky gets kicked off it sooner than later - maybe Conway (who's done RYV now) or Kelly (who's done SM/DP now) can fill the writer's role for this series instead?
    Yeah, I hope this book gets a new creative team FAST. Especially a new writer, because I don't know what the current one is doing or is even going for. Not only does the book feel out of continuity and full of all over the place plots and lame jokes, but it also feels like he is trying to write Deadpool instead of Peter Parker/Spider-Man. It's almost as if he thinks they are interchangeable or similar characters, when they are not. That's not only lazy as hell, but is also VERY insulting to fans of Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Especially considering that this book is supposed to be a safe haven for fans who feel insulted by what Dan Slott has done to Peter Paker/Spider-Man over in ASM.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 08-29-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Well, I actually thought that this issue was an improvement over last issue but obviously that ain't saying much. Spidey was a bit more mature but that shouldn't even be a request, after all. However, this issue was at least fun rather than childish. Art was great too. But I must mention that what exactly is Jonah J Jameson doing nowadays? Just Blogging? It's just a pretty small and boring place for the character after recent years. Find it hard to believe in his current status

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Did Peter intentionally let Karnak in on his secret? This guy is insane.
    Yeah, the appearance of karnak was so random, and the rest of the issue wasn't much better. I'm seriously considering dropping this book.