Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I didn't notice that till you pointed it out, but holy shit WTAF was Zdarsky thinking?
    I had to revisit those panels after finishing the story, apparently the Torch told Karnak something about babysitting Spider-Man's sister, and that's why Pete wore the mask again.
    Spidey going to Mason to say Teresa is his sister is an asinine move I did not read wrong, cause it did not confuse me.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Possibly stupid question: does this book even take place in the 616 universe? Why is everything, including Peter's personality, seem so unusual? Is it set in the past or something?

Forgive me if Marvel's lack of attention to continuity has me seeing ghosts.
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

Nothing stupid, it's supposed to be contemporary within 616 continuity. It being unpleasantly confusing might be unavoidable.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    Possibly stupid question: does this book even take place in the 616 universe? Why is everything, including Peter's personality, seem so unusual? Is it set in the past or something?

Since I'm not in this section of the Marvel comics, I'm not sure where it fits in with Secret Empire, but everything I've heard is that it's in 616, so any differences are probably because a different writer is creating it.

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

It just seems to have nothing to do with ... anything. Like, if you told me this was Marvel Age/Adventures I would have said "yea, that makes sense." Is this just the second attempt at the failed "Spidey" book from a little while ago? They are trying to get Spider-Man to crack into the young kids, Twitter, selfie, OMG market? =P
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

Zdarsky is not funny at all and I find his writing very cringy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post

It appears to me as if Johnny and Peter are being presented in a very effeminate manner and way,and that is why Peter seems different in this book to me and acts unusual...I hope Marvel isn't planning on making Peter Bi after all these years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    Not at all. For me, as someone that started reading SM in the eighties, it's classic Spider Man updated to the current age.
    I really have to asks you why you feel that is the case with this book. For me it really in no way shape or form feels like a update of classic Spidey. If anything it feels more like a Deadpool inspired take on it all.

BANNED

eh his secret ID being compromised doesn't feel much of a big deal when you consider he was unmasked in new avengers in the prison break in the first arc itself in front of hordes of heinous villains yet nothing happened or did something come up regarding it in spiderman breakout? As to the issue it does seem to have a marvel adventures vibe with everyone being puerile to most extent possible without it being considered bizarre by the Editor. perhaps he is trying to recreate the zaniness of the spider/human torch miniseries but it is coming across as plain silly.What exactly is it they are trying to achieve here and why is it more important than dealing with his sisters problem immediately which has more weighty consequences whereas he can deal with kingpin and tinkerer at anytime at his leisure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    eh his secret ID being compromised doesn't feel much of a big deal when you consider he was unmasked in new avengers in the prison break in the first arc itself in front of hordes of heinous villains yet nothing happened or did something come up regarding it in spiderman breakout? As to the issue it does seem to have a marvel adventures vibe with everyone being puerile to most extent possible without it being considered bizarre by the Editor. perhaps he is trying to recreate the zaniness of the spider/human torch miniseries but it is coming across as plain silly.What exactly is it they are trying to achieve here and why is it more important than dealing with his sisters problem immediately which has more weighty consequences whereas he can deal with kingpin and tinkerer at anytime at his leisure.
    Well, all the criminals with the untraceable phones could commit crimes, kill innocent people, sell drugs to kids, and go unpunished. His sister problem is a dark faction of SHIELD looking for her, and until she is armed and with him and the human torch she's relatively safe.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow panther View Post
    Zdarsky is not funny at all and I find his writing very cringy
    This^ The #1 reason I did not add to my pull list + Solicits sounded stupid.

My comic of the month so far is between this comic and Dark Nights: Metal #1
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Did a review for Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #3 and, while not as bad and unfocused as the last issue, it definitely still has major problems...mostly around the desperate attempts at humor and Spider-Man just acting like an idiot. *Sigh* And to think I was once optimistic about this title.

Stillanerd Reviews: Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #3 review
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I really wanted to like this book but the writing isn't doing anything for me and I never liked Kubert's art on Spider-Man. It just doesn't look right.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

This book is SO bad. I hate that, too, because as far off as Slott's ASM has strayed, I was really hoping this book would be a good way to get some good, grounded, street level Spidey stories that we are accustomed to. But this Chip guy's writing sucks and Kubert is not a good fit on art for Spidey either. This book has zero redeeming value, IMO. As big of a Spidey fan as I am, I will probably drop it.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 08-28-2017 at 08:27 PM.