Default Punisher question

I'm wanting to get into Punisher, but I don't know where to start. I've heard that Garth Ennis's Max issues are better than his Marvel Knights issues; can anyone confirm this? Is it OK to skip the Marvel Knights 37 issue run and start with "In the Beginning" in Punisher Max? Then where do I go? Remender, Aaron, Rucka? Are those runs good, too?

Thanks for the help, I know that's a lot to swallow :P

Extraordinary Member

I'd start with Ennis' Knights run, myself.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I've never read the Knights stuff, though the general consensus is its quality, but I had no problem when I jumped into the Max stuff. In fact, I didn't even realise there was a Knights series until some years later so I cant say its imperative.

I really liked those other runs but I would say the Ennis run is the definitive run. Aaron's is quite similar in terms of tone and probably deserves more praise. Remender's was quite fun and was more involved with the Marvel Universe. Rucka's run was a different beast, Frank was almost a guest star in his own book but it was still very good.

MAX and Knights are way different. MAX is in a world without superheroes but ultra violent, it is definetely the ultimate Punisher run. But Marvel Knights is equally good because it's set in marvel 616 when he interact with other heroes, it's not as violent as MAX but it's "violent" for marvel 616 standards. If you can, pick those two runs.

"Welcome Back, Frank" is the greatest come back of the character ever.

Invincible Member

The Max series is not in regular 616 continuity, so it's pretty easy to jump in.