Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    We had codes of behavior and such. If a person didn't want to abide by the codes, he would be banished from the tribe. Harmony within the tribe meant mutual cooperation for the good of the tribe. Lending aid and support meant receiving aid and support.
    I suspect people of good character set the standard too.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    I suspect people of good character set the standard too.
    We had a governing body of chiefs, the forty-four, and four main chiefs and four from each of the ten bands. You know what one of the prime duties of a chief was? Caring for widows and orphans and being peacemaker. Chiefs lead by example. Bravery, generosity, mild tempered and just. He was totally devoted to the tribe.

We had a governing body of chiefs, the forty-four, and four main chiefs and four from each of the ten bands. You know what one of the prime duties of a chief was? Caring for widows and orphans and being peacemaker. Chiefs lead by example. Bravery, generosity, mild tempered and just. He was totally devoted to the tribe.
    Son of a gun. "Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,*..."

Son of a gun. "Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,*..."
    More like whoever wants to become great among you must have a **** load of cash, assets, political and corporate yes men and brainwashed servants.

More like whoever wants to become great among you must have a **** load of cash, assets, political and corporate yes men and brainwashed servants.
    Greed is good.

I think a good person is just someone who isn't out to dog someone else and doesn't think solely about themselves. They don't have to be a saint, but they're not an ******* either.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

I think a good person is one who realizes and behaves as if every other human being is as complex and capable as they are; as certain to have their own fears and dreams, as capable of experiencing pain or joy, as deserving of sympathy and justice and opportunity ... that is, regardless of if they are friends or family or strangers, regardless of if they are of the same or different race or religion or nationality, and regardless of their age, gender, sex and sexual orientation ... regardless, in fact, of if they are in general a good or a bad person. Because, recognizing the humanity of every person is not like a matter of doing them some kind of favor, so much as allowing for the respect that you know that you and your loved ones should be allowed.

Not saying that everyone who does not meet this standard all the time is not a good person, of course. To err is human, and all that. Just that, at least in theory, we would acknowledge that every person is a fully formed person, and deserving of every right and consideration that comes with that.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

One who stands by a positive moral code; I don't insult others, judge others or scorn others for NOT believing as I do. For me, it is someone who stands in defense of freedom for EVERYONE, not just his own philosophical buddies.

Someone who is compassionate, understanding, and unselfish.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I think a good person is one who realizes and behaves as if every other human being is as complex and capable as they are; as certain to have their own fears and dreams, as capable of experiencing pain or joy, as deserving of sympathy and justice and opportunity ... that is, regardless of if they are friends or family or strangers, regardless of if they are of the same or different race or religion or nationality, and regardless of their age, gender, sex and sexual orientation ... regardless, in fact, of if they are in general a good or a bad person. Because, recognizing the humanity of every person is not like a matter of doing them some kind of favor, so much as allowing for the respect that you know that you and your loved ones should be allowed.

Not saying that everyone who does not meet this standard all the time is not a good person, of course. To err is human, and all that. Just that, at least in theory, we would acknowledge that every person is a fully formed person, and deserving of every right and consideration that comes with that.
    Thank you for such a earnest and judicious post.

Good is a natural thing. I might be getting into spiritual stuff here... It happens organically. There are people who try to be good and it gives you the chills because it's creepy. Then there is people who are naturally good... I can't describe it.

Maybe it's because I've had a lot of whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Good is a natural thing. I might be getting into spiritual stuff here... It happens organically. There are people who try to be good and it gives you the chills because it's creepy. Then there is people who are naturally good... I can't describe it.
    I believe we're all born with a conscience, an innate sense of right and wrong. Over a period, a conscience can be dulled or even done away with if not trained.

I believe we're all born with a conscience, an innate sense of right and wrong. Over a period, a conscience can be dulled or even done away with if not trained.
    I don't think it's being trained. I think it's quitting or giving up. It's so easy to quit. But you can't, man. Stuff gets so difficult in real life but you have to keep it going. You have to stay positive.

Sometimes I'm really cynical and it bothers me. I try to be positive but a lot of the time it's difficult. It's not always a serious thing, but it's still tough.

BANNED

A good person is someone who tells it like it is regardless if that person gets offended by it or not. Those are good people. More honest and straightforward people, less suck-ups in the world please.