Default 90's X-men Characters CBR listed as bad then in the article, but are not bad

http://www.cbr.com/bad-90s-x-men-characters/

Don't get me wrong, the nineties are strong on this list. It is Very 90's!

But, most of these characters are not bad. They are not popular with Marvels pro 70's anti 90's writers, and Marvel does want you to forget them.

But better than Stacy-X, All of Grant Morrison designed characters, the Bendis characters, the Fraction characters, the Guggenheim Characters, they are better than all of them. In my opinion the only post 2000 character that hold a candle are the Academy X kids.

Cable on list is ridiculous. Marvel always pushed him for some reason.
    They even use him on relauch posters.

not a fan of Shtterstar and Cable being on this list. at this point i have to question if anyone who writes for CBR like any x-men characters at all

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    not a fan of Shtterstar and Cable being on this list. at this point i have to question if anyone who writes for CBR like any x-men characters at all
    It seems stupid lists just receving more clicks for negative response or comments then good one. So they are making bad lists all the time. Beevroot scheme I would say

Is it really negative though, The were clearly struggling to find something. I think this list more showed the weaknesses of the current zeitgeist than poo-pooed on the 90's.

The article's title and the write-ups don't match up. It comes off as a list of bad X-Men but claims Reyes isn't bad but she is not around anymore (she's been in limbo for a fairly short period of time). Idk very click-baity title.

Chamber being #2 is just a wrong opinion lol

Also to the OP it is specifically a 90's character list. They managed to stick to their theme in that regard at least!
    Last edited by MYCMTSC; 09-08-2017 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ou·tré View Post
    The article's title and the write-ups don't match up. It comes off as a list of bad X-Men but claims Reyes isn't bad but she is not around anymore (she's been in limbo for a fairly short period of time). Idk very click-baity title.

Chamber being #2 is just a wrong opinion lol
    They also had trouble with Synch, Jessie Bedlam, and Chamber was particularly weak. Chamber's telepathy makes a s much sense as Colossus being able to speak with a metal voice box, of Wovlerine's spontaneous matter-from-nothing generation.

Cable on the list doesn't match their stated concept for it at all. Marvel have pushed him constantly for decades. That said, it's true that he's the most pure example of 90s cliches possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    Cable on the list doesn't match their stated concept for it at all. Marvel have pushed him constantly for decades. That said, it's true that he's the most pure example of 90s cliches possible.
    Purer than Adam X or Skullfire? Cable and Maverick are really 80's movie send ups of Stallone, Dolf Lungren and Schwarzenegger, in my opinion anyway. But comics being late to the movies it hit comics in the 90's.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Who is this Megan woman, who's her editor and how old is this child? There were only 3 characters on that list that deserved to be there. Everyone else was a focus, a pivotal, or a staple. Probably one of the more laughable lists I've seen. Someone puts their own list on a message board or blog but this reflects the opinion of CBR one of the most influential comic book news sites on the net. This is divisive and damaging to characters that Marvel or Fox would like to use in the future.... Oooooh I get it. Go get your money (or exclusives, whatever) CBR.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Cable on list is ridiculous. Marvel always pushed him for some reason.
    They even use him on relauch posters.
    Everything they list about why he needs to be laid to rest is precisely why he's f@#$ing awesome and neither Marvel nor his fans will let him go. Ha. This is like saying, "over the top action films are so lame, they should lay that whole genre to rest." Good luck with that.

Plus I'd argue that over the years more depth has been layered onto Nathan's character than a good portion of the top Marvel pantheon of "good" characters. I mean, how about that Steve Rogers, huh? So deep and nuanced. #eyeroll

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I stopped paying any attention to the "lists" this new CBR produces. Quality got thrown out the window when it was bought out.

Ultimate Member

To be fair when Casey first created Stacy X she was an interesting character, a prostitute that did her job without actually having sex as the big view was that she was still a virgin...she just used her powers to get the job done, then other writers changed all that and made her a joke...

Spectacular Member

What is up with liberals hating the popular guys in schools ? HATE CABLE PLEASE WAHHHHHHHHH!

Agreed. Hating on 90s characters, especially Liefeld characters, is such a boring nerd cliché. Like Shatterstar or Cable are so much more ridiculous than Thor, Spider-man or the Silver Surfer. "But their backstories are convoluted..." Wah. Why don't you cry about it. You can follow the intricate details of Game of Thrones or films like Inception and talk about how cool they are, and yet a time traveling mutant cyborg (whose mother admittedly was a clone of a popular X-man) is somehow too much to bear. Just a bridge too far. Whatever. Think about how much useless, convoluted crap has been added to Logan's backstory. I don't see anyone whining about that in these lists and claiming he's a bad character as a result. Cable started the "guns and pouches" over the top trend of the 90s, so even if you find it to be an odious trend in hindsight, he was the catalyst. The OG if you will, of said 90s craziness. And, as mentioned, a lot of depth was added to his character in the decades that followed by some pretty talented writers.

Regardless, Josh Brolin is an incredible actor, so I look forward to him taking the essence of Cable and bringing him to life with his own unique vibe on the character. Much like Hugh Jackman made Wolverine his own, whether you agreed with the casting of a 6'2" Australian as the vertically challenged Canadian wild man or not. I think Josh could be that big for the franchise going forward. I really do.

And when Cable is a household name, us 90s lovers win and the haters cry in their milk.