Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

The Fantastic Four

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I would rather have them simply have the legacy characters coexist with the original characters, instead of making Thor unworthy or killing the Hulk, putting Stark in a coma and turning Steve into a hydra agent. This was absolute bullshit across the board. They didn't have to do that.

I would also not be opposed to having a second universe. I did not like a lot of things about the Ultimate Universe, but it was nice to have a place where new characters could be developed, take the lead and get lots of spotlight without writers having to get the originals out of the way.
    Agreed. Those were all terrible moves, IMO. Despite how much I think his writing had degraded, IMO, I was kind of looking forward to the Bendis+Marquez take on Iron Man. He was terrible for X-Men and Guardians of the Galaxy, steadily got worse and worse with the Avengers, but I thought a solo character in Tony Stark and Iron Man would see a resurgence in his work.

When I saw what was happening, I opted not to buy the first trade like I was planning.

Then I started seeing the current direction of the MU and said "fuck it" and decided to not buy any Marvel comics, period.

As far as Ultimate Universe...for me, it started going downhill when their movement became less about powerhouse creators taking on the characters. BMB, Mark Millar at one of their strongest stage of writing? Jonathan Hickman with Esad Ribic on the Ultimates? That's what I wanted to see. After reading the first 4 trades of Ultimate Spider-Man with BMB and Marquez with Miles, I thought maybe the eventual loss of the UU would lead to strong content in the regular MU.

How wrong I was.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NohWonn View Post
    Why not just reboot the entire Marvel Universe, start over, with the Fantastic Four origin as originally scripted, the Avengers teaming up against Loki and creating the team with Don Blake as Thor, Bruce Banner as the Hulk, Henry Pym and janet Van Dyne forming the team. Only set this in 2015 and go from there. Leet the teenage xmen just be starting
    What would be the point? Those stories have allready been told.
    Marvel may as well fire all writers and artists and just reprint Grandpas Stan & Jack comics, then.

Spectacular Member Doctor-Comics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Marvel may as well fire all writers and artists and just reprint Grandpas Stan & Jack comics, then.
    Please, don't give people ideas.
    "The history of comics is not a long one, and it's not unknowable."--Neil Gaiman

Ultimate Member

Why not just reboot the entire Marvel Universe, start over, with the Fantastic Four origin as originally scripted, the Avengers teaming up against Loki and creating the team with Don Blake as Thor, Bruce Banner as the Hulk, Henry Pym and janet Van Dyne forming the team. Only set this in 2015 and go from there. Leet the teenage xmen just be starting
    Who says Marvel would follow history if they did a real reboot? You just gave them the option to do whatever they WANT.

The Fantastic Four was never Reed, Sue, Johnny or Ben-it someone Black Panther, a revised Storm & Wolverine & Deadpool.

Peter Parker and his foster brother Miles both get bit by spiders at the same time. Hello Spider-Men? And how long do you wait for Venom to show up?

And who get wiped off the slate as New 52 did to how many fan favorites? In name of the Silver age love?

I am sure X-Men fans would LOVE to see the first X-Men team made of INHUMANS or Wakandans.

C'mon, really. If we are on a comics site, in a Marvel forum, posting a response to a Marvel thread, we're all interested in Marvel. Is the atmosphere so toxic for some people that they can't even admit they're "interested" in the Marvel Universe?
    Yes it is. Because you got folks who feel if you like Marvel it BETTER be because of certain guys (who they like). Groot, Moon Girl and others like them are not suppose to get you interested in Marvel-it's the ICON guys who are suppose to do that.

Heck go over to DC and see that there can only be one mess.

Ask John Stewart fans how they felt when they were told Hal Jordan and the GLC was a HAL book? Oh you can't because all the John Stewart fans left DC and are now being blamed for HJATGLC lower than expected sales. While the Jessica & Simon lead gl book has better sales and they get to be in JL with no backlash because they are JOHNS pets.

Ask Wally West fans how they feel about Barry and fake Wally.

For all the complaints about Marvel-DC is worst when it comes to certain characters. Especially those of color who can give Marvel's POC a RUN if they had support.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

All-new Marvel GODZILLA, SHOGUN WARRIORS, and ROM: SPACEKNIGHT comics!

All three of which, of course, are effectively impossible.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

That would be just fine

Spectacular Member Doctor-Comics's Avatar

That would be just fine
    Some men just want to watch the world burn.
    "The history of comics is not a long one, and it's not unknowable."--Neil Gaiman

I don't know if Marvel can do anything to bring me back.
    It's pretty broken.
    Maybe beyond repair!?!?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

That would be just fine
    Sometimes, when you're lost, you need to go back to the beginning to find yourself again.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

And yet, the last "new" comic book I bought from Marvel (the only one since the Waid/Samnee Black Widow series just sort of ended) was:

Go figure.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    All-new Marvel GODZILLA, SHOGUN WARRIORS, and ROM: SPACEKNIGHT comics!
    All three of which, of course, are effectively impossible.
    Gosh, I collected all three of those (and the Micronauts!) back in the day!

I think they can use the non-Rom spaceknights, 'though, and some of them were pretty cool. Indeed, some of the non-Rom spaceknights had cool powers like 'controls living flame' or 'controls the living light of Galador,' and not just the ability to summon up a space gun, which was kind of odd. Why would your premier champion spaceknight be the least powerful or interesting?

As for the 'reboot everything' nonsense, no thanks. I was there for Crisis on Infinite Earths, and while it was very pretty, thanks to that luscious George Perez art, I sure do regret how it nuked the Legion of Super-Heroes and Teen Titans, the two top-sellers at DC, at the time. It began a serious splitting of the fanbase, with Barry vs. Wally and Kyle or John vs. Hal or Classic vs. Reboot being the tip of the iceberg. (While destroying the Earth 1 / Earth 2 dynamic that kept the previous fans of Alan Scott and Jay Garrick from abandoning DC when Hal Jordan and Barry Allen 'replaced' them.)

TL, DR; Reboots bad. If Marvel wants to 'start over,' they can do so in another 'Ultimate universe' or whatever, where it's all shiny and new.

BANNED

Accessible books. I've tried reading a bunch of Marvel books today and everything was just so damn confusing. My frustration got the best of me and i just quit.

I think Marvel does need to cut back its line, which it does seem to be doing. Flooding the market is a dangerous strategy. And no double-shipping, or at the absolute least, no permanent double-shipping. If they really feel the need, they can do occasional double-shipping so some books have 16 issues in a year. But it should never go beyond that.

I'd also like to see them lower the price, at least on some titles. But that's not likely. At the very least, stop raising the prices. It seems like every year, they raise the price just a little but more, and it's bullshit.

In terms of contents of the comics, the biggest thing I want to see is for the X-Men franchise to stop indulging in nostalgia and "mutants on the edge of extinction" stories. Enough of that. Embrace the minority metaphor, for good and bad, and a more balanced exploration of what it means to be marginalized in the US. A good step might be getting creators from marginalized groups to write a main X-title.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I think Marvel does need to cut back its line, which it does seem to be doing. Flooding the market is a dangerous strategy. And no double-shipping, or at the absolute least, no permanent double-shipping. If they really feel the need, they can do occasional double-shipping so some books have 16 issues in a year. But it should never go beyond that.

I'd also like to see them lower the price, at least on some titles. But that's not likely. At the very least, stop raising the prices. It seems like every year, they raise the price just a little but more, and it's bullshit.

In terms of contents of the comics, the biggest thing I want to see is for the X-Men franchise to stop indulging in nostalgia and "mutants on the edge of extinction" stories. Enough of that. Embrace the minority metaphor, for good and bad, and a more balanced exploration of what it means to be marginalized in the US. A good step might be getting creators from marginalized groups to write a main X-title.
    There won't be much cut back with marvel legacy without counting Star Wars titles there's going to be a total of 57 titles so still pretty massive though I like all 57 of these titles so it doesn't bother me.