Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Star Wars prints quality

Hi all,
    I'm newbie to Comics, my intention start buying collecting Star Wars comics such: Kanan, Darth Maul, Rogue one, Poe Dameron, Chewbacca, Doctor Aphra …. , and others.
    I noticed some sellers sell large quantity in single sale with low price such $3 for each title, but same single title selling in other place like Amazon $14 or more.
    My question:
    1- Are these low cost comics have different quality or prints than expensive sale?
    2- Is there copies not genuine or Marvel sell different copies for same title ? And how I can know its good copy ?
    3- Sometimes I see add saying “A cover”, what this mean?

My intention purchase highest quality print.
    And thank you very much for answering.

BANNED

The highest quality prints almost certainly are the trades and hardcovers collections.

All-New Member

Thanks for reply. As far i know most star wars have no hardcover but paperback. If that the case all prints on market will be same quality ?

BANNED

Marvel's floppies are just terrible for physical quality of the product compared to floppies of other publishers last time I looked at one.

Trades almost certainly have superior quality.

All-New Member

I havn't seen before Marvel, the one im asking are here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Comics-Lot...-/222394003019

And here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/222393889293

Are these good?

Please can give me example of trades you mention ?

Print quality is more or less the same for the stapled (saddle-stitched) comic books/pamphlets/floppies. Condition/grade varies, of course, based on physical handling and environment.

Here's a fairly good intro to grading comics:
    http://www.mycomicshop.com/help/grading

Trades refer to comics collected in regular book format. Quite frankly, the new DC and Marvel trade paperback (TPB) collections I've been getting seem to use the same thin paper as their floppy counterparts. Some collections might have better paper, though, particularly hardcovers. My Image TPBs all seem to have nice thick paper.

The ebay links you posted are for individual issues in stapled/floppy format while the Amazon link is to a book/trade collecting issues #1-6.

Here's a pretty good primer for the different formats:
    http://www.printninja.com/printing-r...ds/comic-books
    Last edited by rui no onna; 08-27-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

All-New Member

Whats different between individual issues in stapled/floppy format and Amazon book/trade collecting issues ? Is size and inside content same?

Im also confused, Amazon link for Vol 1 contain 160 page, and in this Ebay link:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/34-comics-lo...-/222579650213

Which contain lot stapled/floppy including same Vol 1. So both same content ?

Quote Originally Posted by milon View Post
    Whats different between individual issues in stapled/floppy format and Amazon book/trade collecting issues ? Is size and inside content same?

Im also confused, Amazon link for Vol 1 contain 160 page, and in this Ebay link:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/34-comics-lo...-/222579650213

Which contain lot stapled/floppy including same Vol 1. So both same content ?
    Individual issues (stapled/floppy) are usually around 32 pages (~20 pages story, ~8 pages ads, 4 pages cover). Book/trade collections usually contain around 5-7 issues and don't have ads.

That ebay link for $112 includes issues #1-34. The Amazon Star Wars Vol. 1 link only includes issues #1-6.

Please refer to the wiki page for the history and list of Star Wars comics:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_comics

For the current Marvel series, here's a direct link to the list of single issues/stapled floppies:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star...0.93present.29

And for the collected volumes/books/trades:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star...ected_editions
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

All-New Member

Thank you rui no onna very much, these informations cleared everything and very helpful. I will choose hardcover insead of floppies. However, few things consider i dont see too many or not all series in hardcover, will be released in future?
    And sometimes confusion like some vol have mixed issues, like they put some Star Wars issues in Darth Vader vol, is that right ?

Quote Originally Posted by milon View Post
    Thank you rui no onna very much, these informations cleared everything and very helpful. I will choose hardcover insead of floppies. However, few things consider i dont see too many or not all series in hardcover, will be released in future?
    And sometimes confusion like some vol have mixed issues, like they put some Star Wars issues in Darth Vader vol, is that right ?
    I'm in a similar position, in that I'm only just starting to read the Star Wars stuff. As far as I'm aware, the only series so far that have been released in hardcover are Star Wars, Darth Vader and Kanan. There's no real way of knowing if the other series will get hardcovers or not. That's just up to Marvel to decide. I'm fairly sure (I may be wrong) that all of these hardcovers are "oversized", which means they are physically bigger than the original comics and the trade paperbacks. I'll be getting the hardcovers of the series I've mentioned, and trade paperbacks of everything else.

Regarding the books with mixed issues, this happens when a story arc "crosses over" and more than one book will have parts to the same story in it. For example. the "Vader Down" story arc, included issues from Star Wars and Darth Vader, so for the story to make sense to a reader, they include all the issues for that story in one book. (This doesn't always happen though and it can be one of the frustrating parts of reading/collecting comics!). Hope this helps
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I'm in a similar position, in that I'm only just starting to read the Star Wars stuff. As far as I'm aware, the only series so far that have been released in hardcover are Star Wars, Darth Vader and Kanan. There's no real way of knowing if the other series will get hardcovers or not. That's just up to Marvel to decide. I'm fairly sure (I may be wrong) that all of these hardcovers are "oversized", which means they are physically bigger than the original comics and the trade paperbacks. I'll be getting the hardcovers of the series I've mentioned, and trade paperbacks of everything else.
    I've got the hardcover collection of the Kanan series and it is a bit bigger than the regular trades and floppies.

Regarding the books with mixed issues, this happens when a story arc "crosses over" and more than one book will have parts to the same story in it. For example. the "Vader Down" story arc, included issues from Star Wars and Darth Vader, so for the story to make sense to a reader, they include all the issues for that story in one book. (This doesn't always happen though and it can be one of the frustrating parts of reading/collecting comics!). Hope this helps
    Yeah, from what I've seen, whenever there's a crossover, all the issues related to that crossover are treated like a miniseries and are collected into their own trade, with no double dipping in the regular series trade lines.

I've just noticed a hardcover I missed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-H...rds=1302902237

This hardcover includes the Leia, Lando and Chewbacca mini series. I'm not sure if I'll get this one though. I still think I'll get the trade paperbacks instead.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I've got the hardcover collection of the Kanan series and it is a bit bigger than the regular trades and floppies.
    How is the Kanan series? I have no knowledge of the character at all!

How is the Kanan series? I have no knowledge of the character at all!
    I liked it, and I'm not the biggest Kanan fan in the world (good character, but I like other members of the Rebels cast more). It ran for 12 issues, so to read it, you either get the hardcover that has everything or two trade paperbacks (The Last Padawan and First Blood). It was written by Greg Weisman (of Gargoyles, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Young Justice fame), so it's well-written. Weisman was also a producer during the first season of Rebels, so he was also an insider on this branch of the franchise.

Kanan is a tie-in to the Rebels cartoon, so I'm not sure how accessible it is to readers who've never watched it (it kind of assumes that you know who's who). The structure is a framing story that supports flashbacks. The framing story is set during Rebels season one and has the Ghost running a mission. As it progresses, Kanan gets reminded of his past, which is then used to segue into flashback stories about Kanan's past. The first is about how he survived Order 66, the second is about his early Clone Wars experiences.

Good art and it fleshes out a lot of stuff just mentioned in passing on the show. We also get to see Kanan's master, Depa Bilaba, for the first time as a character in canon as opposed to just a cameo in Phantom Menace (albeit Legends did give her a different biography before the reboot), which was a good thing, IMHO.