Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I liked it, and I'm not the biggest Kanan fan in the world (good character, but I like other members of the Rebels cast more). It ran for 12 issues, so to read it, you either get the hardcover that has everything or two trade paperbacks (The Last Padawan and First Blood). It was written by Greg Weisman (of Gargoyles, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Young Justice fame), so it's well-written. Weisman was also a producer during the first season of Rebels, so he was also an insider on this branch of the franchise.

Kanan is a tie-in to the Rebels cartoon, so I'm not sure how accessible it is to readers who've never watched it (it kind of assumes that you know who's who). The structure is a framing story that supports flashbacks. The framing story is set during Rebels season one and has the Ghost running a mission. As it progresses, Kanan gets reminded of his past, which is then used to segue into flashback stories about Kanan's past. The first is about how he survived Order 66, the second is about his early Clone Wars experiences.

Good art and it fleshes out a lot of stuff just mentioned in passing on the show. We also get to see Kanan's master, Depa Bilaba, for the first time as a character in canon as opposed to just a cameo in Phantom Menace (albeit Legends did give her a different biography before the reboot), which was a good thing, IMHO.
    Thanks for the detailed response! I may have to look into watching the Rebels cartoon now. I would like to get the hardcover but it can always sit on the shelf until I'm more informed with the Rebels cartoon.

Funny you should mention the cameo in Phantom Menace because I watched that today for the first time in about 10 years!
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Thanks for the detailed response!
    No prob.

I may have to look into watching the Rebels cartoon now. I would like to get the hardcover but it can always sit on the shelf until I'm more informed with the Rebels cartoon.
    The first three seasons are on DVD/BluRay right now. With the fourth and final season not having aired just yet, it would be relatively easy to get caught up with a trip to the library, video rental store, or Target. I think the hardcover is still in print, although with Amazon and book stores ordering in, finding it shouldn't be too hard.

One thing: there is a piece of the comic that connects to the Rebels prequel novel A New Dawn that would make more sense if read before the comic. A New Dawn takes place a few years before the TV show and, while not required reading before the show to understand, is a pretty good book and worth the reading.

Funny you should mention the cameo in Phantom Menace because I watched that today for the first time in about 10 years!
    Funny coincidence. I like marathoning the movies chronologically on an annual basis, so I have seen that one quite a few times. As I understand it, Bilaba was just a background character with no further importance who the tie-ins decided to do something with, kind of like how Quinlan Vos was created by taking an extra in that movie and writing comics about him. So, you get characters who are technically movie characters, but are only made characters by the tie-ins!

All-New Member

I've just noticed a hardcover I missed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-H...rds=1302902237

This hardcover includes the Leia, Lando and Chewbacca mini series. I'm not sure if I'll get this one though. I still think I'll get the trade paperbacks instead.

Thanks very much. I'm looking for these TPB in hardcovers.

Finally i received Star wars, Darth Vader, Kanan, Star Wars journey, all hardcover. The artwork is bigger than TPB, but i couldn't tell for certain the print quality is better than TPB because look to me smoother than hardcover.

One issue very disappointing, Star Wars later collections start loos definitions and look unprofessional.