Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

So I have a question and here seems the best place to ask.

We aren't supposed to attribute any physical attributes to any specific race because that's racist but we are also not supposed to confuse races who look familiar cause that's racist. So what are we supposed to do.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Less racist, but not exactly accurate. They hired an Israeli Actress to play Greek Wonder Woman. They do to this with caucasian actors all the time, so it's at least being consistent.

I'm a little sad because I can't think of a mainstream Japanese Actor to play the role. (Cary Hiroyuki Tagaway is probably too old at this point)
    He's too old, not really what I'd call mainstream, and he isn't really the best of actors anyways. There's is Hiroyuki Sanada. There's Tadanobu Asano whose plays Hogun in the Thor movies, and has starred in movies like Ichi the Killer and Mongol.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Less racist, but not exactly accurate. They hired an Israeli Actress to play Greek Wonder Woman. They do to this with caucasian actors all the time, so it's at least being consistent.

I'm a little sad because I can't think of a mainstream Japanese Actor to play the role. (Cary Hiroyuki Tagaway is probably too old at this point)
    I love that guy, I think the last thing I saw him in was Man in the High Castle.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    He's too old, not really what I'd call mainstream, and he isn't really the best of actors anyways. There's is Hiroyuki Sanada. There's Tadanobu Asano whose plays Hogun in the Thor movies, and has starred in movies like Ichi the Killer and Mongol.
    Agree that he's probably older than they want for the role, but I've no idea what being "mainstream" has to do with anything. Neither Skrein or Kim are big names.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Spectacular Member

So not getting why Kim is more appropriate for the role. The character in the comic is half Asian / half White so why is a full Asian person appropriate for the role but a White person is not. Shouldn't they be looking for a mixed race actor?

^^ Yeah, you don't get it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Agree that he's probably older than they want for the role, but I've no idea what being "mainstream" has to do with anything. Neither Skrein or Kim are big names.
    Ask the person I was replying to that. They brought that up, not me.

Fantastic Member

Peter Cullen voiced Optimus Prime in the Bayformers movies...and that did not stop Bay ruining Optimus Prime by turning him into a psychopath.

Blade was originally British, but Wesley Snipes legacy is that he erased that aspect of the character totally.

In both the above cases the ostensibly right person was cast, but the outcome altered and/or ruined the character.

Amazing Member

hellb.jpg

It was all worth it afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    So I have a question and here seems the best place to ask.

We aren't supposed to attribute any physical attributes to any specific race because that's racist but we are also not supposed to confuse races who look familiar cause that's racist. So what are we supposed to do.
    I'm on the side of "let's look at the intent and not get hung up on the specifics of any character or actor's DNA." If Skrein could have pulled off half-asian, then the Daimio would have retained something that is fairly important to his character. However, casting Skrein and taking away the character's ethnic background is the thing that gets some people's goat. Kim, while not half white/half japanese can still believably play someone who is, thus maintaining the character's integrity.

That's my thinking anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by fred25_ca View Post
    hellb.jpg

It was all worth it afterall.
    That's nice. I like this.

Incredible Member

I find it hypocritical that one man quits a role in order to keep true to the vision of the original creation and he's praised, but others who are cast that do not meet the regular criteria can stay and the people who complain are considered the wrong ones. If you dislike Domino because she doesn't look like Domino, or Johnny Storm doesn't look like Johnny Storm, then you're the bad guy.

as long as Hellboy is red

I am just tired of people complaining about it one way or another. Its just tired. I mean here we have an issue where casting most likely hired Ed as a good fit for the role they had intended. He quits because of a backlash. Yet they do this constantly with traditionally white characters and it just shows strength and diversity. If white people complain its them being racist when that isn't the case at all. Its just getting to be a bit to much lately. The person producing and directing the project has their vision let them test out their vision before crucifying them.

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    I find it hypocritical that one man quits a role in order to keep true to the vision of the original creation and he's praised, but others who are cast that do not meet the regular criteria can stay and the people who complain are considered the wrong ones. If you dislike Domino because she doesn't look like Domino, or Johnny Storm doesn't look like Johnny Storm, then you're the bad guy.
    So basically you're upset that some people will disagree with you when you post your opinion online.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store