Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Ed Skrein Drops Out of Hellboy to Avoid Whitewashing

From his Instagram:

Last week it was announced that I would be playing Major Ben Daimio in the upcoming HELLBOY reboot. I accepted the role unaware that the character in the original comics was of mixed Asian heritage. There has been intense conversation and understandable upset since this announcement, and I must do what I fell is right.

It is clear that representing this character in a culturally accurate way holds significance for people, and that to neglect this responsibility would continue a worrying tendency to obscure ethnic minority stories and voices in the Arts. I feel it is important to honour and respect that. Therefore I have decided to step down so the role can be cast appropriately.

Representation of ethnic diversity is important, especially to me as I have a mixed heritage family. It is our responsibility to make moral decisions in difficult times and to give voice to inclusivity. It is my hope that one day these discussions will become less necessary and that we can help make equal representation in the Arts a reality.

I am sad to leave Hellboy, but if this decision brings us closer to that day, it is worth it. I hope it makes a difference.

with love and hope,
    Ed Skrein
    Gotta say, if I didn't think much of him before, I've a newfound respect for him now.

Well, this definitely looks better on him then it would had he kept with the role .

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I like his concern for the original comics. Definitely want more concern for the original comics.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-28-2017 at 02:00 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Classy move. Gotta give props to him.

I went a bit ballistic when I found out Ben (a middle aged Japanese American man) was gonna be played by a white guy!

Interesting move not something you ever see, I hope they do not just cast another white guy who does not care about the source material this time.

Good on him. He was in line to get a paycheck, but opted to bow out due to the controversy. Hopefully, they'll try to replace the actor with someone who is racially accurate.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I think that's quite honorable of him.

BANNED

It's always nice when the internet bitches at some to the point they feel like they have to quit a job.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    It's always nice when the internet bitches at some to the point they feel like they have to quit a job.
    It is nice when an actor drops out of a role after finding out it's racially insensitive.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Yea, I have a real problem with that aspect.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    It is nice when an actor drops out of a role after finding out it's racially insensitive.
    It's not racially insensitive. Unless the plan was to make him up like he's Asian, and then maybe it would have been.

I stand up and applaud Ed. Very poignant words, too.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

All-New Member

Waiting for the cast of Hamilton to quit in solidarity.

Astonishing Member

I will definitely make it a point to check out all of his future work from now on.

That said, I won't be seeing Hellboy after Christa Campbell's now deleted tweet on the issue.

Yeah. I mean, its annoying when screenplays unnecessarily change an ethnicity, and especially dumbfounding when its key to a character's foundation, but its not like it was this guy's fault. He's just an actor who auditioned for a job and got it. I absolutely respect his choice, of course, but I'm sure he got a insane amount of hate coming his way in particular for something that wasn't even his doing.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-29-2017 at 02:40 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El