Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I think every board has its passionate debates. Sticking to the Big 2 boards, these are the biggest issues dominating over the past few years

Batman: Battle of the Batgirl fandoms; To a lesser extent, clash of the Damian, Tim and now Duke fandoms
    General DC: Battle of the various Green Lantern fandoms; Non-Trinity DC fandoms saying they've been neglected; DCEU arguments
    General Marvel: Various fandoms whose fave is not included in the MCU & downplayed in comics feeling slighted, F4 being a major example; "Alt-Right" vs. "SJW" wars
    Spider-Man: Marriage/Mary Jane fans vs. Non-Marriage/MJ fans; Dan Slott fans vs. Dan Slott non-fans
    Superman: Anti-New 52 fans vs. pro-New 52 fans/DCEU Superman fans vs. non-fans
    Wonder Woman: Anti-New 52 fans vs. pro-New 52 fans/Fans of various Wonder Girls/Amazons feeling slighted
    X-Books: CompleX, Fox vs. Marvel debates, O5 non-fans not feeling satisfied, Fandoms of various neglected X-Generations feeling slighted

The most common theme for these debates are the dissatisfaction of fandoms who feel their character is neglected or mischaracterized, usually to the benefit of some other character. The second most common issue is a divisive portrayal of favorite characters in film.

Rebirth has made an effort to fix the issues caused by New 52's mischaracterizations and divisive status quos, and also help utilize previously ignored characters, which is why the Trinity boards calmed down over the past few months. On a whole, the DC boards currently don't engage in as heated debates as the Marvel boards, with the topic of the DCEU being a major exception. I don't see the Marvel boards calming down any time soon though, as they have issues with many of the (for now) long-term mandates of the company.
    ROMY (Rogue and Gambit) vs anti-ROMY gets ugly too! So much so that ROMY needs it's own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I noticed in the Batman section of this site it's mostly appreciation and issue discussion. Not very many arguments compared to other forums I follow. Is it because the Batman books are usually the most popular and most well received? It doesn't seem to me like people bitch about stuff like they do in other forums as much. People may see it a different way but it's just something I've noticed.
    It's because there are so many threads dedicated to their favorite characters and they bitch about stuff in there! LOL!

Extraordinary Member

Admittedly, keeping the fans who don't like each other in appreciation threads will help keep arguing down, but I'd say the other major factor is that the heart of the franchise is generally doing well, and has comparatively few schisms compared to the other fandoms. I mean, as others have pointed out, we have our arguments like everyone else, but they tend to be about the family, but not with the main character. We have the Batgirl Battles, the BatBoy Battles, but we don't have Married and Mature Spiderman vs Sad Sack and Single Spiderman, or my personal favorite, "Who/What is Superman?" argument.

Generally, comments on the main Batman book of a negative nature tend to go like "I personally don't like this particular Critically Acclaimed and Financially Successful creator's run, which isn't as good as the previous Criticaly Acclaimed and Financially Successful creator's run. Fortunately, a Still Pretty Darn Good creator is writing a side book that I like, so I'll drop this book until we see if that Cult Hit creator turns out to be the next Critically Acclaimed and Financially Successful creator."
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

There are plenty of arguments on Batman forums. There's even some of the New 52 vs. Pre-Flashpoint arguments that taint other DC-centric forums. There are a lot of people who reeeeeallly hated Snyder's run and who currently dislike the current state of the Batman line of comics. I myself have begun to have a certain disdain for Snyder's influence on the Batman comics. And then of course, there are also the Zero Year vs. Year One debates.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-29-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Everyone pretty much summed it up well .....

Babs not being Oracle is my main fight with the Batbooks.

And somewhat, the lack of "detective" stories. A lot of the stories focus on being epic and there is very little interaction between the heroes and "regular people". (That's true for most comics from the big 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Everyone pretty much summed it up well .....

Babs not being Oracle is my main fight with the Batbooks.
    That's not something that bothers me at all since I was reading stories with Barbara as Batgirl for about twenty years prior to A Killing Joke, and then took a long break from buying comic books during much of her Oracle run.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    And somewhat, the lack of "detective" stories. A lot of the stories focus on being epic and there is very little interaction between the heroes and "regular people". (That's true for most comics from the big 2)
    The lack of your basic detective-type of mysteries where Batman uses his brain and his physical skills to solve and stop crimes is what I really miss.