Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retired

Default Is Jim Starlin being taken care of?

In a CBR article last year, it was said that Jim Starlin got more money from DC for the use of KGBeast (in BVS) than all the money he got from Marvel for Thanos et al in multiple movies. Is this still true?

Given INFINITY WAR adapts Starlin’s work—and this is a big money movie—Jim must be getting more than a taste of the royalties. Right?

Extraordinary Member

He must be.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Someone said that he was just the co-creator of Thanos. Who was the other creator that we never hear about?

Retired

The thing is you’d think that Disney-Marvel would have already compensated Starlin, at the time of his facebook post. It’s remarkable that he got more for KGBeast, who is insignificant in BVS. That makes me wonder if Marvel would try to pay as little as possible even now.

Apparently Mike Friedrich scripted the first appearance of Thanos, in IRON MAN. But it was totally Starlin’s idea. Nice if Mike gets something out of the deal. But Starlin’s contribution was greater. As an artist’s agent, Friedrich would probably argue the same.

Starlin is a notorious... frank talker about stuff with Marvel.

If he didn't get paid, I'd imagine we will here about it sooner rather than later.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Before Infinity War Thanos only had cameo appearances in the movies. Likely not enough to sent him a truck full of money.

Retired

But usually this stuff is all worked out years in advance. They don’t wait until after the movie has come out to decide how much they’re going to pay everyone.

And it isn’t just Thanos that Starlin co-created.

I’d like to know how many piles of gold Jim is sitting on top of. Are we talking Richie Rich or Scrooge McDuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Before Infinity War Thanos only had cameo appearances in the movies. Likely not enough to sent him a truck full of money.
    Marvel should have given him more money than DC for Drax alone but they didn't. But Marvel Studios was always known to be stingy when Ike Perlmutter was still heading it. I hope things have changed when it comes to creator payments after his ouster.

After Starlin gets his check from Marvel, he can give a percentage to the Jack Kirby estate since Thanos was basically designed to be a knockoff of Darkseid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Someone said that he was just the co-creator of Thanos. Who was the other creator that we never hear about?
    Mike Friedrich did the scripting for those issues of Iron Man so I think he does get a credit in creation whether he deserves credit or not is a different story.. Also originally the character was going to be a Metron ripoff however Roy Thomas stepped in and said "If you're going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one!" So he did just that and it worked out very well for him.

From what I'veread of Starlin's interviews, he's said Marvel Studios treats him like a rock star. Marvel the publisher, on the other hand...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In a CBR article last year, it was said that Jim Starlin got more money from DC for the use of KGBeast (in BVS) than all the money he got from Marvel for Thanos et al in multiple movies. Is this still true?

Given INFINITY WAR adapts Starlin’s work—and this is a big money movie—Jim must be getting more than a taste of the royalties. Right?
    I was hoping that he would have a cameo in the movie with Stan Lee.

In this article Starlin says he has now a fair deal with Disney:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/jim-s...es-marvel.html

But Starlin’s excitement is also tied to the fact that the films are a payday for him. He doesn’t get into details, but says he was able to negotiate an arrangement to get a certain amount of money for non-comics uses of Thanos when Disney bought Marvel in 2009. However, in January 2017, he wrote a Facebook post saying he got paid more for the use of his lesser-known DC character Anatoli Knyazev in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice than he did for all the uses of Thanos in the Marvel movies as of then, combined. According to Starlin, that led Disney to renegotiate the agreement, which he now calls “a fairly fair deal.”

Does Jack Kirby get paid as well?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Does Jack Kirby get paid as well?
    Jack Kirby is dead.

Sandy Hausler