Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

I'm sorry, but your logic makes no sense. The actors being good doesn't save the show from being terrible. Just because people think the show is awful, god awful, terrible, or whatever they want to call it, doesn't mean they're saying literally every single thing about it it's that. We mean the series as a whole. All of those elements, that go from ok to terrible, are what together, make the finished show. And the thing is that even if the actors are one of the good/best/ok factors(not even all of them tbh), overall the bad factors are the majority and at the end that makes for a bad final product. It's really quite simple, and it's kind of nerve wracking how you don't seem to understand that, when it's basic and obvious logic that you should be aware of when reading someone's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    The series can't be awful with such talented actors. This is a contradiction.

Parts of the show can be awful, maybe someone thinks the CGI is terrible for a modern day show... maybe someone deems the story lacking, doesn't like the wardrobe choices, director of photography choices need improvement, editing sucks, bad soundtrack choices, perhaps there's a desire to see the series go in another visionary direction. However, the talent of the actors cannot be denied from their performance here and elsewhere, and since characters are so important to most series that means "the show/the series" in it's entirety can't be awful/it can only be possible when not understanding the importance of characters to a series. This is a talented cast that is passionately giving their all and don't have blame for other areas of the series. When there's scenes like that of Maximus cutting off Medusa's hair and both of these talented actors putting their every being into the characters and scene... how can anyone put "awful" in the same space.

Ever see "Ishtar"?

You use many words, but say little.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm sorry, but your logic makes no sense. The actors being good doesn't save the show from being terrible. Just because people think the show is awful, god awful, terrible, or whatever they want to call it, doesn't mean they're saying literally every single thing about it it's that. We mean the series as a whole. All of those elements, that go from ok to terrible, are what together, make the finished show. And the thing is that even if the actors are one of the good/best/ok factors(not even all of them tbh), overall the bad factors are the majority and at the end that makes for a bad final product. It's really quite simple, and it's kind of nerve wracking how you don't seem to understand that, when it's basic and obvious logic that you should be aware of when reading someone's opinion.
    And it amazes me how some can't understand that when judging something as "the series is awful" includes everything. It's been seen clearly from various responses how little regard there is for the character aspect/actors and that the emphasis and importance is being put on certain things to their preference, and as i showed that is the main issue. You continually go back to this flawed logic of "the actors doesn't save the show" not getting that the actors are a big part of the show. You're not seeing this flaw.

The characters/actors are very important to a series, just as important as any of the other various aspects. The characters oftentimes become a driving force in the series which means they take on even more importance in a series. I broke this all down in depth and very clear in other posts.

Look at this way, there's a reason in Friends that the cast was making 10 million or so an episode. You can't just replace the actors with someone else as the viewers had developed a strong connection to these characters as portrayed by these actors. (You could probably replace the showrunner/writers though). If you had the same exact writing and had 20 different actors playing Black Bolt or Maximum there would most likely be a slight variance to the character unique to each actor meaning it's not just the writing/direction that defines these characters. The actor is part of the character. The character is extremely important to the series. Hence, the actors and characters are just as important as anything else. If this isn't being taken into consideration the judgement is flawed. Solid acting might not change the fact that the writing is low quality, solid writing might not change the fact that the acting is poor, both might not change the showrunner being incapable but they are all aspects of the series meaning the actor can still shine in the character despite the writing not being up to the same level, etc.

When/if you include this into your perspective you will see what i'm saying.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-20-2017 at 07:18 PM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

What you fail to understand is those aspects don't save the show from being awful. Personally, I find the character work outside of Maximus and Black Bolt to be awful. The Royal family are suppose to be the characters we root for but they done nothing to endure me to them. They continue to be arrogant and dumb and we are already halfway through this series. T

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    What you fail to understand is those aspects don't save the show from being awful. Personally, I find the character work outside of Maximus and Black Bolt to be awful. The Royal family are suppose to be the characters we root for but they done nothing to endure me to them. They continue to be arrogant and dumb and we are already halfway through this series. T
    I don't fail to understand. That's the writing/direction for the characters, not the entirety of the character. The writing isn't the end all be all that's simply a preference in seeing it that way.

What i do understand is the character in a series. I don't have to like the writing or the direction of a character to connect to and appreciate and enjoy the character. The character isn't only writing. I'm not really feeling Karnak and Gorgon's current writing and direction aspect of the character but i'm really enjoying the actor portrayal of the two characters and the overall vision for who these characters are... the connection is there with these characters despite other things i'm not feeling as much in regard to the specific character or overall.

I just yesterday went back and binge watched the available episodes and i would completely agree the series has many problems but what continues to standout for me is the actors portrayal in these characters. Iwan Rheon is brilliant as Maximus the Mad every time he's on screen i'm engaged, Anson Mount's Blackbolt is even better the second time around binge watching it bringing out a variety of emotions in me, Karnak and Gorgon like i said before i'm not too happy with where they are currently but i'm liking Eme and Leung's potrayals, and surprisingly the second time around Isabelle Cornish really emerged with me being more interested in Crystal than i was the first time, if they throw the character in a romance with this Dave guy straightaway i won't be thrilled but i'm seeing more in Crystal than i was and connected to the character stronger, and i really enjoyed the dynamic between Medusa and Louise that's what stood out the most in my secondary experience. Their little side road adventure was fun and charming.

So... yeah, this is the entire point that doesn't seem to be resonating.

Despite all of the other problems with the series, and there are many... i can go back and binge watch the episodes and find a lot of enjoyment through my connection to these characters and the actors portrayals. The entire series isn't "awful" as such. There is a talented cast to be found here that are doing some good things with these characters to where a connection can be made going on this adventure, even if i don't like other things going on with the writing and direction or see these areas as lacking and/or would prefer things be different in these areas as to what they are, etc.

It doesn't seem like this is going to resonate with some people no matter what, i don't know why i expected it might resonate with people who are judging an entire series as awful but i felt like maybe there was a small chance. So be it.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-20-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

I can't enjoy an actor's performance when the material they have to work with is crap. What's the point of Karnak's plot? He's so far removed from everything that's going on and I'm lead to believe his powers is in the fritz because he hit his head. The material isn't helped with terrible direction during action sequences, bad editing (especially when Triton was killed and his body fell into the water and when Maximus killed the member of the genetic council), cheap production, awful CG and a by the numbers fish out of water story that isn't being executed well. An actor's performance can only do so much.

And it amazes me how some can't understand that when judging something as "the series is awful" includes everything.
    No it doesn't. You don't get to define what people mean when it's obvious that they don't mean what you go around saying they do. I think the actors are not bad. And I think the series is awful. A lot of people feel the same, and they're gonna continue to go around expressing their opinion, and there's nothing you can do about it. If you think that they particularly have to make a point that "by the way, the actors aren't included on that, ok?" every single time they say something about the show, than you're out of luck, because they won't.

If you want to keep insisting that by saying the series is awful we're also judging the actors, than you're just lying to yourself. The majority of people don't use the same logic as you and if you can't understand that, than you're gonna keep getting frustrated by what they say and the fault is only yours since you're the one who keeps insisting that they have to express how they feel based on your standards.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 10-20-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    No it doesn't. You don't get to define what people mean when it's obvious that they don't mean what you go around saying they do. I think the actors are not bad. And I think the series is awful. A lot of people feel the same, and they're gonna continue to go around expressing their opinion, and there's nothing you can do about it. If you think that they particularly have to make a point that "by the way, the actors aren't included on that, ok?" every single time they say something about the show, than you're out of luck, because they won't.

If you want to keep insisting that by saying the series is awful we're also judging the actors, than you're just lying to yourself. The majority of people don't use the same logic as you and if you can't understand that, than you're gonna keep getting frustrated by what they say and the fault is only yours since you're the one who keeps insisting that they have to express how they feel based on your standards.
    What????

Aha. That is absurdly backwards.

So and so are saying the series is awful or similar, but... it's obvious they don't mean this and that about the series, and, i'm the one making them mean something else because i expect them to actually follow logic. Wow!

You don't need to state that the actors are included every time because they are included when talking about the series as such, unless you exclude them. That's one of the points that we've been going around in a giant circle about how the characters/actors are being disregarded in this flawed logic. They are a big part of the series and all importance is being placed elsewhere as if they don't matter. The entire thing is backwards, it's being said the series is awful while disregarding the importance of the characters and actors which is the very thing that makes the series not be awful, instead of simply expressing that there are areas of the series that you don't like or doesn't meet up to your standards and expectations but maybe it has some potential in other areas. You can't judge the series in it's entirety and just expect no one to take issue with that. Say the series was cancelled based on a perception of the series being awful, this affects everyone contributing to the series not just the writer or the producer/showrunner.... because the series has many various working parts to it and not just one thing.

I even agree with most of the sentiment, i don't particularly like the writing or a lot Scott Buck's style and choices, or a lot of the visionary direction for the series and just general choices... the only difference is that i understand the importance of actors/characters in a series and i'm including everything in the series and looking at the big picture. I can separate my dislike for one thing without dismissing the entirety, like i said before i'd watch what i consider a mostly unbelievably "bad" movie because it had a certain actor i know i connect with because then there is some potential to be found and it's not entirely irredeemable in that instance, etc.

I wouldn't go as far to say "the majority" from a few posters on a comic forum... but, yes i completely agree that it's clear that some people don't use the same logic as i.

(Even so, there's endless examples throughout history where the majority were flawed and so i don't want/need or expect a majority to validate me.)

I'm not frustrated, i'm just astounded that even after how much i explained things that it's still not understood. I find the conversation somewhat amusing or i wouldn't be involved, I can't even be frustrated by it... but i'm just like, how???...
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-20-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Christopher Reeve is my definitive Superman on film. He's amazing but Superman 4 is awful the story is bad this was the Man's own opinion on the film

"We were also hampered by budget constraints and cutbacks in all departments. Cannon Films had nearly thirty projects in the works at the time, and Superman IV received no special consideration. For example, Konner and Rosenthal wrote a scene in which Superman lands on 42nd Street and walks down the double yellow lines to the United Nations, where he gives a speech. If that had been a scene in Superman I, we would actually have shot it on 42nd Street. Richard Donner would have choreographed hundreds of pedestrians and vehicles and cut to people gawking out of office windows at the sight of Superman walking down the street like the Pied Piper. Instead, we had to shoot at an industrial park in England in the rain with about a hundred extras, not a car in sight, and a dozen pigeons thrown in for atmosphere. Even if the story had been brilliant, I don't think that we could ever have lived up to the audience's expectations with this approach."

You can have good actors and even iconic characters but if the script and budget aren't there it will fail. There is an old Hollywood saying a project can be 2 of these things but never all 3 Fast, Cheap, and Good.

It can be Fast and Good but you can't be Cheap you have to spend the money to make up for the flaws of making it so fast.

It can be Cheap and Good but you it can't make it fast because you need time to overcome your budgetary constraints.

But if Cheap and Fast it cannot be good due to said issues.

By all reports Inhumans was made Fast and Cheap and it shows and honestly it ain't good.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 10-21-2017 at 06:10 AM.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I can't enjoy an actor's performance when the material they have to work with is crap.
    This is pretty much my feeling.

Every time theres an element with potential of being good, it's ruined by the script.

Did we really need a 5 min interlude chat of Karnak discussing not having his powers, again, all while they're meant to be hiding.

Also some of the dumber things, like Crystal being in awe of nature but not seeing how her powers would interact with the elements so prevalent. It'd be the first thing anyone with powers would do, not go skinny dipping.

Also the "lockjaw needs a nap now" way of saving the CGI budget is annoying and stupid.

but even still, all the actors here show potential as the characters. Medusa and Black Bolt are good together, Crystal is much more natural when not trying to be dramatic, everyones improving but Maximus is falling victim to the dialogue most I'm finding. You can literally predict the lazy loops planned in his scene dialogue.

The actors are fine, but this isn't Walter White and Jessie. The material just isn't good and they are doing a serviceable job with it. But I don't see any great acting going on. That is the fault of the writing and the series, not the actors.

Eddie Murphy could be hilarious, but Pluto Nash just wasn't funny.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Comic book shows are dropping in ratings. Inhumans ratings are about the same as agents of shield. (that's not good as abc wanted to kill aos but Disney wants to use it to try out new heroes and promote the movies and won't let them kill it.)

BANNED

You don't need to state that the actors are included every time because they are included when talking about the series as such, unless you exclude them. That's one of the points that we've been going around in a giant circle about how the characters/actors are being disregarded in this flawed logic. They are a big part of the series and all importance is being placed elsewhere as if they don't matter. The entire thing is backwards, it's being said the series is awful while disregarding the importance of the characters and actors which is the very thing that makes the series not be awful, instead of simply expressing that there are areas of the series that you don't like or doesn't meet up to your standards and expectations but maybe it has some potential in other areas. You can't judge the series in it's entirety and just expect no one to take issue with that. Say the series was cancelled based on a perception of the series being awful, this affects everyone contributing to the series not just the writer or the producer/showrunner.... because the series has many various working parts to it and not just one thing.
    Think about it like food....

If you ask for pie and the baker makes your favorite kind, say pumpkin pie, but they decide that instead of using all the regular ingredients to make a great pumpkin pie they decide to use others. The pumpkin is still in there. You can even have the whip cream! But instead of sugar they used salt. And they made similar choices with the rest. Yeah, it has the couple things you like but everything else is so ridiculously awful that the pie is basically ruined.

You wouldn't choke down a piece and then say...."I can't say the pie wasn't awful because there was good whipped cream!" No, you'd say it was awful and even the things you liked weren't enough to save it.

That's this show...and with Iron Fist having had similar problems I think it's safe to conclude a major reason why it's terrible.

It really isn't getting any better. Was there any point at all to that stupid drug dealer subplot?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    It really isn't getting any better. Was there any point at all to that stupid drug dealer subplot?
    I guess to get Karnak mellow out and not to over analyze everything.