Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

We have the answer to why this show is how it is: Scott Buck smoke some of Karnak's weed right before writing it.

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    Finished watching the first episode and surprised this series is being destroyed so extremely in public opinion. Fantastic cast who were passionately giving themselves over to their roles. I was immediately taken with each character.

Yeah. The overall production of the series isn't the best but such a good cast. Maybe it's because i'm more about the characters/actors in a series than the story that i can look past some of the shortcomings if the actors are solid. The Game of Thrones actor in particular playing Maximus is brilliant. Perfect casting there. I liked all the main actors and their character portrayals so far.

My main rule for a series is that if you have some characters and actors portraying them that i'm strongly connecting to in a series, i'm basically in for better or worse. Not the best CGI i can live with, not the best story i can live with... gotta have at least some characters i can connect with.

This Inhumans series passes my test.
    Yours are certainly better criteria than judging something for how much money was spent on it.

(No, not directing this at anyone in particular here.)

Extraordinary Member

Inhumans Season 1 Episode 4 Make Way for... Medusa Review

valmont17021 day ago (edited)
    I don't listen to haters, because everything is matter of taste and each one of us sees the world through his/her own lens... So, there's no such a thing as bad or good taste, but only "different tastes"... This being said, I thought the first two episodes were decent ; episode 3, good. And this 4th one has some great moments, it tends to very good.
    This show is not about "show off", but more on characters' building and various intrigues that goes in different directions but will come together at some point... I get why people see it as a soap, but that's because we are used to another format, when it comes to Comic Book adaptations. It's a different tone and it's built like no other superhero product out there... Making it weird, in most people's eyes.
    by--
    I thought the first two episodes were really good.The third one was better then the first 2 and i thought episode 4 is best one so far.I think this show is really good but you still have some folks who think aos and jessica jones are bad shows,so what is their excuses?I can't take them seriously.AOS and jessica jones are really good shows too.
    Episode 4 is the best Episode so far.This is a really good show.
    Last edited by mace11; 10-16-2017 at 03:28 AM.

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

This show is god awful. It makes me angry and sad at the same time. And I'm a film critic. I know shit when it pops up on my screen.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:
    BLACK BOLT | CYCLOPS | SPIDER-MAN 2099 | WICCAN | MS. MARVEL

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:
    BATMAN | MIDNIGHTER | SWAMP THING | INFINITY MAN | NIGHTWING

SPIDER-MAN 2099 APPRECIATION THREAD | MAN-THING APPRECIATION THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Yours are certainly better criteria than judging something for how much money was spent on it.

(No, not directing this at anyone in particular here.)
    It works for me and i'm happy with it. I'm enjoying most things and i'd rather be enjoying them and having fun than not.

The only problem is maybe i enjoy too many series based on that criteria which can be difficult to manage that many. The series format tends to do a really good job with characters and focus specifically on characters plus having a fairly large cast to where the chances are higher you will connect to at least a few. Movies are much easier to filter out. It's a great problem to have though.

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
    This show is god awful. It makes me angry and sad at the same time. And I'm a film critic. I know shit when it pops up on my screen.
    HAHA.

Yeah. being a critic is meaningless to all but the sheep minded who require someone else to lead them. What kind of "critic" judges art as "god awful", a series in it's first season even... A "professional" one most likely. I'd expect nothing less from a critic.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-17-2017 at 03:33 AM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

episode 4 "make way for medusa!"

another terrible installment making this 4-4 on the wtf scale. what's up with black bolt's face? that actor has exactly one facial expression and i do believe it's becoming the "blue steel" of the mcu.

medusa is still lol, yelling at that not-felicity character (who is also very lol in her dramatics). karnak continues to be an idiot (why is he picking up and sniffing sand like he doesn't know what dirt is?) and now suddenly gorgon is calling these rando hawaii surfers he met two episodes ago his "family"

maximus would still resemble the hero of this show if not for his mustache-twirling brigade, the dumbest of which is that cyclops/xorn mashup in the gimp suit.

this series has become almost comical in its absurdity. at this point, i am just watching to laugh, but that does not seem the point of this program.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Eh, I don't like the show and I don't understand why anybody does, but it doesn't make me angry. At least someone is telling a story, which makes it better than any given reality show that might be on instead.

The only thing that annoys me is Agents of SHIELD got delayed for this.

It works for me and i'm happy with it. I'm enjoying most things and i'd rather be enjoying them and having fun than not.

The only problem is maybe i enjoy too many series based on that criteria which can be difficult to manage that many. The series format tends to do a really good job with characters and focus specifically on characters plus having a fairly large cast to where the chances are higher you will connect to at least a few. Movies are much easier to filter out. It's a great problem to have though.

HAHA.

Yeah. being a critic is meaningless to all but the sheep minded who require someone else to lead them. What kind of "critic" judges art as "god awful", a series in it's first season even... A "professional" one most likely. I'd expect nothing less from a critic.
    You're just gonna have to deal with the fact that most people think the show is indeed god awful. Yes there is some "sheep minded" people who didn't even gave it a chance before saying it's shit, but I have been following everything about it since it was announced, and was really hoping it would be good. I'm pretty sure redrunner, as an Inhumans fan, did the same.

HAHA.

You don't have to agree with a critic. That's not the point of art criticism... Knowing that I don't have your approval means I'll just quit. Oh wait, I forgot, you're not the one signing my paycheck.

If you'd like specific criticisms of this derivative, sloppy, and ultimately pointless piece of in-name-only garbage: this thread and others are filled with my thoughts.

And lastly, it's called "consensus." This show fucking sucks. And I'm not saying that as a critic. I'm saying it as a fan. A disappointed, disgruntled fan.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    I listened that already and almost spit my drink out when they got to that section of the discussion

I will admit I'm not really an Inhumans fan I like a few of the characters namely Crystal, Lockjaw, and Triton in the comics and the Nuhumans. But seeing the glimpses of Wakanda in Black Panther makes me sad we'll never see Attilan one of the gems of the Marvel Universe in all its glory in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    You're just gonna have to deal with the fact that most people think the show is indeed god awful. Yes there is some "sheep minded" people who didn't even gave it a chance before saying it's shit, but I have been following everything about it since it was announced, and was really hoping it would be good. I'm pretty sure redrunner, as an Inhumans fan, did the same.
    I highly doubt that. No one who judges art as such gave it a fair chance. Especially a series in it's first season. The series format is different from the movie format as well and so a movie critic judging a series is even more meaningless. Which is why a lot of people didn't seem to "get" Age of Ultron, bashing it's story, etc... which was a character study closer to the series format than the story driven experience typically seen in popular modern movies, for example.

It's more likely they went into it with their own ideas and imagination of what they wanted from it, and when it didn't meet those expectations dismissed it.

After all, art is largely about how the individual connects to it from everything to big factors like interpretation, perspective to little factors like they could be having a bad day and their mind isn't open. The reason many projects fail isn't even about the art itself but external factors as such. And critics are the worst thing for motion picture as unfortunately quite a few people buy into this arrogance that their opinion somehow matters more than the rest and once the momentum of a few bad reviews catches on, this perception becomes a reality without people experiencing for themselves and making up their own minds separate from anything corrupting their mind about it.

Not that i think this series is amazing, but it's literally impossible that this series be judged as "god awful" and the lowest levels of bad like a lot of people are judging it... when it has such a talented cast. The overall judgement in this matter on this specific art piece by majority is flawed, trust that.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-17-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

I highly doubt that. No one who judges art as such gave it a fair chance. Especially a series in it's first season. The series format is different from the movie format as well and so a movie critic judging a series is even more meaningless.
    No one who gives a negative review to something you like is correct. That's basically your thesis.

And serialized storytelling has existed as long as long as cinema itself; they're one and the same. They're one and the same. The structure of a movie and a network television series are different, but trust and believe you sir are not the only one who can discern between the two.

It's more likely they went into it with their own ideas and imagination of what they wanted from it, and when it didn't meet those expectations dismissed it.
    What expectations would those be? If you're implying that I want a direct, literally, biblical transfer of the source material to the screen, you're incorrect. My expectations were appropriately in line with what could be done at this budget level. I expected something along the lines of TerraNova with better effects and a more lighthearted approach (considering much of that show's crew actually worked on this series as well). What we got was something prettier but otherwise hollow and devoid of the basic foundations of good story telling structure.

I could careless if they made a silent expressionist version of the Inhumans. It wouldn't have made a different to me as long as it was well crafted. That's sadly not the case here.

After all, art is largely about how the individual connects to it from everything to big factors like interpretation, perspective to little factors like they could be having a bad day and their mind isn't open. The reason many projects fail isn't even about the art itself but external factors as such.
    I've seen the first two episodes three times each and the 3rd/4th episodes two times each. I'm watching again on HULU because I want my ratings counted. I want a second season because they need to fix this mess without Scott Buck (though, truthfully, he was just doing the job he was hired to do... make the show come in under-budget and under-schedule, unfortunately at great compromise with regards to the overall quality of the product).

And critics are the worst thing for motion picture as unfortunately quite a few people buy into this arrogance that their opinion somehow matters more than the rest and once the momentum of a few bad reviews catches on, this perception becomes a reality without people experiencing for themselves and making up their own minds separate from anything corrupting their mind about it.
    I'm not arrogant. My opinion is only an opinion. But I'm gonna defend mine just a hard as you're defending yours right now. And if you think I won't, you're sorely mistaken. I don't get joy out of how substandard this show happens to be in my eyes. But I refuse to lower my standards to help a property that I love and adore. It's just not ethical.

Again, if you want specific examples of issues I have with this series, my posts are in just about every thread dedicated to the show/characters. Feel free to read them, there's no need to speculate about what grievances I have with it from either technical or story perspectives.

Not that i think this series is amazing, but it's literally impossible that this series be judged as "god awful" and the lowest levels of bad like a lot of people are judging it... when it has such a talented cast. The overall judgement in this matter on this specific art piece by majority is flawed, trust that.
    I stand by "god awful", bu whoever said "lowest level of bad"? I think there's plenty of redeeming factors, but not enough to outweigh what I dislike about it personally.

Also, stop hypocritically knocking critics. You're literally being a critic right now in this very thread. We all are. It doesn't take a degree to have your own sense of taste. Criticism isn't a bad thing, positive criticism is just as important as negative criticism. And all artforms need critics, not to decide the merit of a work or anything like that. But to break it down, consume it, and then release it back into the world for someone else to do the same. That old adage is true: EVERYONE is a critic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I will admit I'm not really an Inhumans fan I like a few of the characters namely Crystal, Lockjaw, and Triton in the comics and the Nuhumans. But seeing the glimpses of Wakanda in Black Panther makes me sad we'll never see Attilan one of the gems of the Marvel Universe in all its glory in the MCU.
    The TV series aren't REALLY part of the MCU anyway. It's a on-sided relationship. Years (possibly MANY years) down the line, regardless of if the MCU still exists in its current form, I don't think it's too crazy to think maybe we'll see the Inhumans be re-adapted for the big screen.
    Last edited by redrunner97; 10-17-2017 at 08:12 PM.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

My post is meant to be taken as one thing not separated into smaller fragments as such.

I stated in reference to "a lot of people" when stating "lowest of the bad". Meaning a majority of various comments and reviews about the series which echoes sentiments like "god awful" don't know if i should be mad or sad and i know when shit pops up on my screen. How people are saying it's trash and the worst thing ever, wanting it to be cancelled, dismissing it as a failure after the premiere, etc... I don't really see how you can stand by your judgement but so be it. At least you do say there are redeeming factors which to me contrasts the sentiment of god awful and making one mad and angry and knowing when shit is on my screen... and so, i view this as progression on the matter. Redeeming factors is a far cry from that in my interpretation and something i'd agree with.

As to what ideas, expectation and imagination you might have going into the experience. I can't answer that. Only you would know the answer, however... i presume to know that is one of things at the root of such a judgement. From various experiences and observations. Perhaps even subconsciously. Refer back to me stating that it is an impossible judgement and based on that theory there has to be some cause. If you are saying there are redeeming factors to the series then i would be willing to revise and rethink some of my sentiment on the matter. I still believe that's most likely at the heart of such judgement though. You do go on to say there were some expectations and so that leads me to believe it's correct to assume it at least played some part.

That you speak of good storytelling expectation in particular, i find this to be one of the more common obstacles between movie and series as in the example i gave with Age of Ultron. With such a long history of motion picture there are no doubt going to be similarities and cross over in the two formats but if you don't see a common difference in series format and movie format then we're not going to be on the same page where this is concerned. I mean something as basic as viewing a movie with finality and a series as flowing should speak to this difference and not dismissing a series after the first episode or two, and allowing room for it to grow, "redeeming factors", potential, etc... the series format being my preference, it is one of the most common themes i observe when looking through various reviews and criticism regarding a series, character driven vs story driven. Most people who prefer the movie format are used to a story driven experience and dismiss or hate on the character driven experience. Something like Game of Thrones does take on more of a familiar story driven experience (it's a bit of everything really but the story driven experience is there) but what you see in a lot of series is character driven where you connect to these various characters on a long journey of story arcs, and there tends to be great focus on the characters and growth of character oftentimes even to the point of regression and progression and back again. One of the great motion picture series foundations, the procedural for example... it's more character driven through many different stories....

(That's not to say it's black and white and definitive, there's some movies that are character driven like AoU and some series that are story driven, the limited series in particular, but... i'm just speaking generally to make the point of how important characters are in the series format. That's my main intent with this expression because i find this to be something oftentimes ignored in consideration and perspective when looking at a series with most of the focus going to the story)

...and so, unless someone is taking these various things into consideration and within their perspective,, like these difference, like the characters being as important as story, like finality and flowing... i don't see how it can be said that there isn't a flaw within the judgement. (Not to mention all the other stuff discussed like art being more about individual connection and there's external factors like expectations, etc)

I'm not necessarily saying you as a person are arrogant, but what i am saying is the very nature of being a critic is arrogance. This clearly comes out in stating something like i'm a critic, i know when shit pops up on my screen. I'm not being hypocritical in my dislike and contempt for critics as i don't claim to be a critic or that my views and feelings matter any more than everyone else. My views aren't coming from a place of judgement either. I've stated in a few threads i don't even believe there is a definitive "good" or "bad" within art and so how could i really judge as a critic. I might use "good/bad" because it's a common way for people to understand you easily without trying to go in depth into your personal feelings or try and explain a connection but it's not something i believe is definitive. I'm completely aware that what i feel and think about art is a personal thing from my perspective and interpretation and it is an individual connection as such. It's not a definitive thing, or a definitive truth, or a judgement. I would even prefer and encourage people not follow what i say and follow their own individual path. This is much different than a professional critic, and i explained why critics are the worst thing for motion picture.

Well, at the end of the day i can live with "redeeming factors", and so there's hope...
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-17-2017 at 11:46 PM.