Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I think this show might have done better as a limited run summer show. So much other stuff on right now, and this is at the bottom of my list of stuff to check out...

This show is awful. Too many talented actors -- I feel bad for 'em.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    This show is awful. Too many talented actors -- I feel bad for 'em.
    The series can't be awful with such talented actors. This is a contradiction.

Parts of the show can be awful, maybe someone thinks the CGI is terrible for a modern day show... maybe someone deems the story lacking, doesn't like the wardrobe choices, director of photography choices need improvement, editing sucks, bad soundtrack choices, perhaps there's a desire to see the series go in another visionary direction. However, the talent of the actors cannot be denied from their performance here and elsewhere, and since characters are so important to most series that means "the show/the series" in it's entirety can't be awful/it can only be possible when not understanding the importance of characters to a series. This is a talented cast that is passionately giving their all and don't have blame for other areas of the series. When there's scenes like that of Maximus cutting off Medusa's hair and both of these talented actors putting their every being into the characters and scene... how can anyone put "awful" in the same space.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-19-2017 at 05:58 PM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post

Parts of the show can be awful, maybe someone thinks the CGI is terrible for a modern day show... maybe someone deems the story lacking, doesn't like the wardrobe choices, director of photography choices need improvement, editing sucks, bad soundtrack choices, perhaps there's a desire to see the series go in another visionary direction. However, the talent of the actors cannot be denied from their performance here and elsewhere, and since characters are so important to most series that means "the show/the series" in it's entirety can't be awful/it can only be possible when someone doesn't understand the importance of characters to a series. This is a talented cast that is passionately giving their all and don't have blame for other areas of the series. When there's scenes like that of Maximus cutting off Medusa's hair and both of these talented actors putting their every being into the characters and scene... how can anyone put "awful" in the same space.
    Do you like the series so far? Me? I think it is hands down the worst thing Marvel Studios has ever put out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    Do you like the series so far? Me? I think it is hands down the worst thing Marvel Studios has ever put out.
    You quoted me before i was able to change the line "when not understanding the importance", can you please requote me. Wasn't finishing editing.

As to your question, it's complicated.

I'm someone who lives for the series format, i used to be mainly a movie watcher back in the day when i had less time to dedicate to motion picture and when it came to a series i would mostly just channel surf tv and briefly watch an episode here and there. Once i had more time later on to explore especially binge watching, i moved deeper and further into series exploration. Within this exploration i find that in a series the characters to have such an importance. Specifically connection to the characters. In a lot of my observations of various comments and reviews of series, like when there used to be IMDB forums and i would watch a series and go lurk the boards to see if people shared my views and almost every time this wasn't being taken into consideration.

And so, through all of my observations (not just IMDB but all over) it leads me to believe that i'm not in the majority when it comes to the series experience. The way people approach a series, view the series, their expectations, etc.

The reason i go into this backstory, that i feel like maybe my approach and my experience and connection with a series is different to a majority. I think it's too soon to say if i like the series yet. Right now, i feel like, as i said the cast is quite talented and i feel a strong connection to most of the main characters through this cast. Through this factor, i'm going to stay with the series as for me it's the most important factor to determine if i'm going to go on this journey and this experience. I might have to wait for the first season to end, or watch it again so i can binge watch it to really gain an overall feel for it on that level though.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-19-2017 at 06:23 PM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Parts of the show can be awful, maybe someone thinks the CGI is terrible for a modern day show... maybe someone deems the story lacking, doesn't like the wardrobe choices, director of photography choices need improvement, editing sucks, bad soundtrack choices, perhaps there's a desire to see the series go in another visionary direction. However, the talent of the actors cannot be denied from their performance here and elsewhere, and since characters are so important to most series that means "the show/the series" in it's entirety can't be awful/it can only be possible when someone doesn't understand the importance of characters to a series. This is a talented cast that is passionately giving their all and don't have blame for other areas of the series. When there's scenes like that of Maximus cutting off Medusa's hair and both of these talented actors putting their every being into the characters and scene... how can anyone put "awful" in the same space.
    Everything not a Hawaiian outdoor location looks cheap.

The costumes look like cosplay.

A lot of the CGI look dodgy.

The writing is awful.

Even good actors can't save something with all that wrong.

Amazing Member

No it isn't a contradiction. It happens in TV and in Film. You can have good actors, but there's only so much they can do with bad writing. In this case, I don't blame the actors, I blame the very shitty writing.

Sure. There are others issues, such as production values, editing, etc. but I really don't have the inclination to go too much into that which has already been said by others. I do think Scott Buck and the writing team should never be allowed to touch a comic property ever again.

That's all fair enough to your opinion but the actors/characters are a big part of a series and very important.

Why does it have to be all or nothing? Why can't it be a feeling of disappointment in these particular areas of the series but still enjoy characters through the actors portrayal. Does it really have to be awful or not awful in such a black/white sense of defining.

When watching a series back in the 90s and the CGI and costumes weren't the highest of quality compared to some of the stuff today, were there still all kinds of awesome and fun things to be found. Most definitely, it's not all about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Variant View Post
    No it isn't a contradiction. It happens in TV and in Film. You can have good actors, but there's only so much they can do with bad writing. In this case, I don't blame the actors, I blame the very shitty writing.

Sure. There are others issues, such as production values, editing, etc. but I really don't have the inclination to go too much into that which has already been said by others. I do think Scott Buck and the writing team should never be allowed to touch a comic property ever again.
    It is a contradiction because again this is putting all the emphasis and focus and importance on writing/story rather than the characters. The characters aren't just the words they speak through what's written. Just like the series isn't only the story/how good it looks.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-19-2017 at 06:34 PM.

Amazing Member

It is a contradiction because again this is putting all the emphasis and focus and importance on writing/story rather than the characters. The characters aren't just the words they speak through what's written. Just like the series isn't only the story/how good it looks.
    I'm not talking about characters (and besides the writing certainly doesn't serve the characters in any case). I'm talking about this show. Good writing is a fundamental factor for a series or any films success. It's not some abstraction or outside factor. It separates the good series from the bad. You can have huge budget with the biggest stars, but if the writing is shitty you can't salvage it.
    Last edited by Variant; 10-19-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Parts of the show can be awful, maybe someone thinks the CGI is terrible for a modern day show... maybe someone deems the story lacking, doesn't like the wardrobe choices, director of photography choices need improvement, editing sucks, bad soundtrack choices, perhaps there's a desire to see the series go in another visionary direction. However, the talent of the actors cannot be denied from their performance here and elsewhere, and since characters are so important to most series that means "the show/the series" in it's entirety can't be awful/it can only be possible when not understanding the importance of characters to a series. This is a talented cast that is passionately giving their all and don't have blame for other areas of the series. When there's scenes like that of Maximus cutting off Medusa's hair and both of these talented actors putting their every being into the characters and scene... how can anyone put "awful" in the same space.
    No it's not. The actors can only do so much when their characters are terribly written. I think Anson and Serinda are trying their best, but the plot just doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    No it's not. The actors can only do so much when their characters are terribly written. I think Anson and Serinda are trying their best, but the plot just doesn't help.
    I'm not talking about characters (and besides the writing certainly doesn't serve the characters in any case). I'm talking about this show. Good writing is a fundamental factor for a series or any films success. It's not some abstraction or outside factor. It separates the good series from the bad. You can have huge budget with the biggest stars, but if the writing is shitty you can't salvage it.
    This is a flawed perception to a series that more applies to movies where story and direction oftentimes drive the experience while you the passenger go on the journey. That's why it doesn't seem like a contradiction because it's not taking the character's importance in a series where the character oftentimes becomes the driving force... into consideration is what i'm trying to resonate. It is a contradiction though.

Do you think over the years i've fallen in love with numerous characters in a series because of the writing? That i connect to a series season after season because of the words written for a character? Not even close. There's much that goes into a character beyond writing, and the actor plays a big part in the character as that's who you're going to be connecting with in this journey.

A quick example off the top of my head is Captain Holt on Brooklyn Nine-Nine, if his words were simply written down on a piece of paper i might find them amusing. However, it's mainly the actor Andre Braugher that has me cracking up week after week and loving this character. It's not all Andre Braugher either i don't want to give the impression it's all the actor and nothing else it's a number of contributions, but... he's the main reason i find the character so endearing and connect to the character.

The series is a sum of various parts. There's a lot that goes into it and the characters is one of the most important parts. If you have a talented cast portraying various characters as this series does then it simply cannot be judged as awful. At worst judgement it would be something like, everything's of the lowest quality except the character portrayals from this talented cast who does the best they can despite the foundation they have to work from... and not a defining "this series is awful".
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-19-2017 at 08:33 PM.

This is a flawed perception to a series that more applies to movies where story and direction oftentimes drive the experience while you the passenger go on the journey. That's why it doesn't seem like a contradiction because it's not taking the character's importance in a series where the character oftentimes becomes the driving force... into consideration is what i'm trying to resonate. It is a contradiction though.

Do you think over the years i've fallen in love with numerous characters in a series because of the writing? That i connect to a series season after season because of the words written for a character? Not even close. There's much that goes into a character beyond writing, and the actor plays a big part in the character as that's who you're going to be connecting with in this journey.

A quick example off the top of my head is Captain Holt on Brooklyn Nine-Nine, if his words were simply written down on a piece of paper i might find them amusing. However, it's mainly the actor Andre Braugher that has me cracking up week after week and loving this character. It's not all Andre Braugher either i don't want to give the impression it's all the actor and nothing else it's a number of contributions, but... he's the main reason i find the character so endearing and connect to the character.

The series is a sum of various parts. There's a lot that goes into it and the characters is one of the most important parts. If you have a talented cast portraying various characters as this series does then it simply cannot be judged as awful. At worst judgement it would be something like, everything's of the lowest quality except the character portrayals from this talented cast who does the best they can despite the foundation they have to work from... and not a defining "this series is awful".
    I don't care how much I like an actor or character if the writing is too bad I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I don't care how much I like an actor or character if the writing is too bad I'm out.
    So, you see... now we're finally getting into the heart of the matter at hand.

Thanks for being honest at least.

And I would watch "Turbulence 3: Heavy Metal" all day on a loop because it had Craig Sheffer and Gabrille Anwar sharing scenes in it, no matter how bad it is.

It would be like me judging something written that you really connect to as awful because i couldn't connect to the characters.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-19-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Amazing Member

I still consider it awful. Sorry. I'm entitled to that opinion and apparently I'm not alone in that assessment. Look if you want to describe the series as something other than "awful" that's totally fine. I respect your right and opinion to do that. But if someone were to ask me how did I feel about the series? I'd say it's awful because the writing is so bad it totally takes me out of it. I don't know why this is hard for you to understand.

It's not like I'm just picking on Inhumans here, there's this show called the Strain, even though there are actors in that I like (I love Kevin Durand), it's so poorly written I could not get bring myself to finish watching season 2 and don't plan to watch the show again. If a friend asked me "Hey, should I watch the Strain?" I'd say no, it's awful. I'm sorry but poorly written **** is a big turn off for me. Now if someone else wants to describe the The Strain as "Okay" or "Not Bad", that's fine too. I would disagree but other people have different opinions and tastes.

I still consider it awful. Sorry. I'm entitled to that opinion and apparently I'm not alone in that assessment. Look if you want to describe the series as something other than "awful" that's totally fine. I respect your right and opinion to do that. But if someone were to ask me how did I feel about the series? I'd say it's awful because the writing is so bad it totally takes me out of it. I don't know why this is hard for you to understand.

It's not like I'm just picking on Inhumans here, there's this show called the Strain, even though there are actors in that I like (I love Kevin Durand), it's so poorly written I could not get bring myself to finish watching season 2 and don't plan to watch the show again. If a friend asked me "Hey, should I watch the Strain?" I'd say no, it's awful. I'm sorry but poorly written **** is a big turn off for me. Now if someone else wants to describe the The Strain as "Okay" or "Not Bad", that's fine too. I would disagree but other people have different opinions and tastes.
    All i'm asking is an "except" for the actors giving their all to these characters. I don't think it's that much to ask to have some consideration for them.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone's opinion and view against the writing, production, CGI, etc, etc... and i haven't. Too each their own. My singular issue is and has been the complete defining of the entire series as awful, or god awful, or sh*t, or trash that includes such a talented cast that's trying their best with these characters. After one episode i already developed a really strong connection with all of the main characters and was impressed. That's not a usual thing and i watch many, many series, to have a strong connection with nearly all of the main characters. That's a credit to them as actors and everything else that went into the characters.

I didn't feel comfortable sitting by while the entire series was being defined as such with this mind. I don't believe the entire thing can be judged in such a way when you have this factor as described and expressed in detail.

I think most of what can be said on the subject has been said and from this point it would just be going in circles, and so i'll probably leave it at that. I feel more comfortable now that i expressed what i wanted... so good travels to you all in your various explorations.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-19-2017 at 11:01 PM.